Archer: Rolando McClain availability in question

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rolando McClain availability in question
September, 17, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Tony Romo isn't the only offensive starter expected back to practice on Thursday, but the news on Rolando McClain, the Dallas Cowboys best defender for two games, is somewhat concerning.

Coach Jason Garrett said he anticipates wide receiver Dez Bryant will be able to work after he was limited on Wednesday because of a shoulder injury suffered in last week's win against the Tennessee Titans.

McClain, however, could need more rest because of a groin injury suffered in the Titans' win.

If McClain cannot play Sunday against the St. Louis Rams or is hobbled, the Cowboys would be down their top three middle linebackers with Sean Lee out for the year and Justin Durant recovering from a groin strain. Rookie Anthony Hitchens could be forced to play more Sunday at middle linebacker after working with the first-team at weak-side linebacker last week.

Unlike Romo and Bryant, McClain did not take part in Wednesday's walkthrough.

Running back Joseph Randle (concussion) and defensive tackle Davon Coleman (calf) also did not practice.

Tight end Gavin Escobar was limited with a knee injury. He had a wrap on his knee during the portion of practice open to the media. Defensive tackle Ken Bishop (illness) and defensive end Lavar Edwards (knee) were also limited.

The Cowboys had a bit of good news on the injury front: defensive end Anthony Spencer practiced on a limited basis for the first time this season as he comes back from microfracture surgery on his left knee.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
So does this mean Hitchens will be the leader of the defense on Sunday?
:skurred

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So does this mean Hitchens will be the leader of the defense on Sunday?
:skurred
It'll revert to the next dynamic playmaker...either Scandrick or Carter.

:woohoo

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Didn't Hitchens start and play quite a bit last week on the outside? I'm not really worried about it, even if he has to move in to the middle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't Hitchens start and play quite a bit last week on the outside? I'm not really worried about it, even if he has to move in to the middle.
He did and I'm not sure I really saw any glaring mistakes on his part. Although I'm not sure how many snaps he really played. I know Wilber got on the field some.

Last edited:

Newt

DCC 4Life
McClain being out would be a huge blow to the defense emotionally. Hopefully with a couple more days rest he'll be good to go. Groins are touchy though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
McClain being out would be a huge blow to the defense emotionally. Hopefully with a couple more days rest he'll be good to go. Groins are touchy though.
My only hope is he seemed to play through it in the game just fine. Usually if it is something severe you see them on the sidelines during the game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Depends on who is touching them.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He did and I'm not sure I really saw any glaring mistakes on his part. Although I'm not sure how many snaps he really played. I know Wilber got on the field some.
I read somewhere he only played 15 snaps, which is low, but TOP probably affected the number.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys' projected LB trio: Bruce Carter, Anthony Hitchens, Kyle Wilber
September, 18, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys continue to play linebacker roulette.

It appears that the starting trio will be Bruce Carter, Anthony Hitchens and Kyle Wilber when the wheel stops spinning this week.

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain has not been ruled out of Sunday’s game against the St. Louis Rams, but his status is in doubt due to a groin injury that has prevented him from practicing the last two days. Weakside linebacker Justin Durant has not practiced since suffering a groin strain in the season opener that is likely to sideline him at least two more games.

That’s caused the Cowboys to shuffle the linebackers again. Carter has moved back to the weak side – his position last season and throughout training camp – after starting on the strong side the first two games. Hitchens is manning the middle after filling in for Durant on the weak side last week. Wilber is preparing to start on the strong side after backing up Carter the previous two games.

“They have been working hard,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “They had really good couple days of practice. The key thing is they have all been with us since the offseason, so it’s not like somebody coming in new. I trust that.”

Hitchens, a rookie fourth-round pick, would have especially big shoes to fill.

McClain has been the Cowboys’ best defensive player, leading the team with 22 tackles, according to coaches after film review, one sack and one interception.

Hitchens played only nine defensive snaps in last week’s win over the Tennessee Titans because the Cowboys played the nickel package for most of the game. He is also preparing to replace McClain in the nickel Sunday.

“He’s a good football player,” said Hitchens, who has bounced back and forth between the middle and weak side since arriving at Valley Ranch. “Everyone knows that. Next guy in has got to step up and carry the load.”

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, this would certainly suck. I'm not the biggest fan of a rook making the defensive calls but we'll have to wait and see. At least it's against The Rams, I would rather have him back up to speed against The Saints.

dallen

Senior Tech
Well, this would certainly suck. I'm not the biggest fan of a rook making the defensive calls but we'll have to wait and see. At least it's against The Rams, I would rather have him back up to speed against The Saints.
Is that confirmed? I'd be surprised if Hitchens is making calls over Carter

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Football is for very physically and mentally tough people. McClain IMO is neither; had a little success and now he's coasting. It's been his pattern throughout OTA's and camp, and I don't expect it to change.

Cotton

Staff member
I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I have to admit it's an assumption based on the MLB generally making the calls in a 4-3 so if Hitchens is starting inside that duty would usually fall to his position. Honestly, I don't think it would be any worse than having Carter making the calls if it turns out to be the case. Carter is athletic as hell but I don't really think he has the football smarts.

[MENTION=17]ravidubey[/MENTION], I'd reserve judgement on McClain. This could be a case where he really isn't injured that badly but TPTB play it cautious with him against a less than stellar opponent so he's available in the long term. He's been our best player on defense and our depth on defense is paper thin so why chance making it worse when we could possibly win this one without him?

Just my take.

Top Bottom