Conference Championship Round Gameday Chatter|1/19/14

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Four best teams, four best front offices. Funny how that works out.

data

Forbes #1
Found this gem from 2011

Draft of '09 begins to burden Cowboys

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' 2009 draft class might have been doomed long before the team went on the clock. Giving away first- and third-round picks for an underachieving, overpriced receiver isn't exactly a great start for a draft.

But, unless Roy Williams counts, it appears unlikely that the draft class of '09 will ever produce a starting offensive or defensive player for the Cowboys. Dallas ended up with a dozen picks after all the wheeling and dealing was done, but Jerry Jones & Co. dropped the ball with most of them.

Dallas had the Dirty Dozen in 1975, when 12 draft picks made the squad and helped form the core of a Super Bowl championship team two years later. Call the class of '09 the Dud Dozen and cross your fingers that it doesn't cripple the franchise as it moves forward.
The '09 crop should be blossoming as it enters its third season. That class would ideally be a young bunch with some seasoning that featured a few starters and several players fighting for significant roles.

Yeah, right.

A class that was met with much initial skepticism looks even worse in hindsight. It's one of the worst classes of the Jerry era.

There isn't a player from that class pushing for a starting job with the Cowboys, who have nothing but sheepish looks to show for the first three rounds. Backup outside linebackerVictor Butler, third-string quarterback Stephen McGee and third tight end John Phillips are the group's only good bets to survive final cuts in early September.

Look at the damage drafts like 1995, 2000 and 2001 did to the Cowboys. Playoff win droughts tend to happen to teams that trade away first-round picks, reach for character risks like Sherman Williams, Dwayne Goodrich and Quincy Carter in the second round and fail to find any late-round gems.

The only way a general manager survives so many bad drafts is if he happens to sign the paychecks.

That's not to say Jason Garrett's Cowboys can't overcome the Dud Dozen. However, it's certainly a major hurdle for a coach who constantly preaches about the importance of creating competition.

"What you're trying to do is just really move forward and create [competition] however you can create it," Garrett said when asked about the '09 draft. "Obviously, you want to draft really well year after year. That creates the most competition on your team really throughout the roster.
"Then when you have some holes on the team, you address those holes in different ways, whether it's in the next year's draft or through young free agents that we bring in."You could consider the first couple rounds of April's draft to be the Cowboys trying to make up for their biggest whiffs two years earlier.

Workout wonder Jason Williams was supposed to be Kevin Burnett's replacement as a nickel linebacker while being groomed for a starting role. Williams never got a clue in Wade Phillips' defense, much less earned a role, before the Cowboys cut him early last season. Now, the hope is that 2011 second-round pick Bruce Carter can recover from knee surgery and be a nickel linebacker who develops into a starter.

The Cowboys needed offensive tackle Robert Brewster, the Cowboys' other third-round pick in 2009, to be ready to replace Marc Colombo by now. If that didn't work out, the thought was Brewster could move inside to guard. But he was so bad that no team claimed Brewster when the Cowboys cut him last fall. He spent the rest of the season on the practice squad and is out of football now.

The secondary misses in the 2009 draft sting almost as much, considering the Cowboys' critical lack of quality depth at cornerback and safety. Jones called DeAngelo Smith the key to the draft due to his position flexibility after drafting the cornerback/safety in the fifth round. He was cut at the end of the preseason, and his time with the Cowboys is memorable only because he lost a 40-yard race to a kicker. (Too bad David Buehler, another fifth-rounder, can't kick as well as he runs. If that were the case, the Cowboys wouldn't be turning over every rock trying to replace him.)

The Cowboys thought fifth-round safety Michael Hamlin and seventh-round cornerback Mike Mickens -- who set their schools' career records for interceptions -- were steals who could help fill the team's desperate need for playmakers in the secondary. Not so much. Mickens didn't survive final cuts his rookie year; Hamlin was gone by the middle of last season.

Sixth-round pick Stephen Hodge was supposed to be a special-teams ace, but knee problems prevented him from ever playing a down for the Cowboys.Other than the three reserves expected to make the roster, fourth-round outside linebackerBrandon Williams, fifth-round kicker Buehler and seventh-round receiver Manny Johnson are all that's left from that draft class. Williams appears to be on the verge of losing his spot to undrafted rookie Alex Albright. Veteran Shayne Graham's arrival probably spells the end for Buehler. And Johnson, who spent most of the last two seasons on the practice squad, is an afterthought at receiver.
It's a draft the Cowboys wish they could forget, but the holes on the roster won't let that happen.

Tim MacMahon covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com.

data

Forbes #1
I've made the decision to actively steer away my unborn children from being Cowboys fans. Amiwrong?

I will not be buying them Cowboys baby toys, onezies, etc. They will have the freedom to choose the local team.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've made the decision to actively steer away my unborn children from being Cowboys fans. Amiwrong?

I will not be buying them Cowboys baby toys, onezies, etc. They will have the freedom to choose the local team.
Mine already were given that shot and mostly don't give a crap about the Cowboys other than the fact they have to deal with my attitude after a loss.

D

Deuce

Mine are raised Cowboys fans. I figure at some point in their lives there will be hope and also if I don't, my wife and her family will raise them to be Eagles fans. No thanks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I haven't steered mine either way. My son has really shown no interest in any team, including the Cowboys. It's probably because I bitch about them so much.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, also go Broncos and Seahawks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

Cotton

Staff member

:towel

:unsure

data

Forbes #1
Anyone watching the "Championship CHase" program on CBS now?

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Yup, but I'll be rooting for Seattle.
I think Seattle has a damn good chance of winning. If they can pressure Kaepernick and make him try to run on those quick LBers, I think they have a really good shot.

Cotton

Staff member
Cooked some beef ribs in the crock pot overnight last night. The house smells great, but I am about to frickin' die waiting to eat.

Cotton

Staff member
Just saw a graphic on NFLN showing that Landry has the most playoff wins of any coach ever.

:towel

:cry

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Mine already were given that shot and mostly don't give a crap about the Cowboys other than the fact they have to deal with my attitude after a loss.
Last time I got irate about a loss was the 2012 season ender when my youngest(14 at the time) asked me "why are you mad don't they always lose" which prompted the needed history lesson and then the response I get is "it's been a long time since they won huh" :sad

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I haven't steered mine either way. My son has really shown no interest in any team, including the Cowboys. It's probably because I bitch about them so much.
I tried to make mine a Cowboys fan, but I'm glad he doesn't really give a shit about football.

He likes basketball and boxing and reads a shit ton of a books and is in a future student program for Duke University. :towel

Good for him.....better to not be a fan of this disaster of a team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I've said Seattle since day one, and I'm sticking to it.

I know the 49ers are hot and I think they're going to play their best game at Seattle in 2 years, but in the end, I think Seattle's defense forces Kaepernick into a rough day.

I want Denver to win, but I'm thinking New England in this one. I have more faith in New England's defense than Denver's.

Top Bottom