Week 7 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys vs Giants | 10/25/2015

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The pick six. T Williams made a piss poor play and effort. That was 100% on him.
He is reminding me a lot of Miles Austin towards the end. Half-ass routes and dropping the ball. If we had decent depth at WR I would want him gone.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The pick six. T Williams made a piss poor play and effort. That was 100% on him.
That's what I was thinking because he didn't come back hard enough to the ball to even contest the interception. DRC ran his route for him and he just flopped on the ground.

IMO, Dez in that position at least breaks up the pick.

Cotton

Staff member
That's what I was thinking because he didn't come back hard enough to the ball to even contest the interception. DRC ran his route for him and he just flopped on the ground.

IMO, Dez in that position at least breaks up the pick.
Had he run his route properly, he would have been between DRC and the ball and probably would have made the catch. That is assuming he didn't drop it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Had he run his route properly, he would have been between DRC and the ball and probably would have made the catch. That is assuming he didn't drop it.
DRC seemed to make a good read and be jumping the route, I'm not prepared to say he definitely wouldn't have been quick enough to break up the pass. That's neither here nor there though. IMO the two biggest backbreaking plays of the game (the pick six and the Harris return) were not on Cassel. Lobbing a deep pick where a tackle was made at the one doesn't hurt my feelings. I can live with that.

If Bryant plays next week IMO we have a chance. In fact, I think we easily would have won yesterday if Bryant had been ready to play.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
DRC seemed to make a good read and be jumping the route, I'm not prepared to say he definitely wouldn't have been quick enough to break up the pass. That's neither here nor there though. IMO the two biggest backbreaking plays of the game (the pick six and the Harris return) were not on Cassel. Lobbing a deep pick where a tackle was made at the one doesn't hurt my feelings. I can live with that.

If Bryant plays next week IMO we have a chance. In fact, I think we easily would have won yesterday if Bryant had been ready to play.

The lob was uncalled for IMO. A bad decision. He really didn't have to do that. That was some BS.

Cotton

Staff member

I did not realize he played so little.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We got confused and drafted the wrong Terrance Williams from Baylor. Need the RB Terence Williams.

We had indications about route running from Romo so what we are getting shouldn't surprise anybody. I thought he would be better but never thought he could be a #1.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think letting Harris walk at the price was the right decision, as it was for Murray.

Now, as to the hiring of replacements for those positions ...
Exactly. The replacements that the Cowboys trotted out there those two players is the real issue.

I have no issue at all with our decision to allow Harris to walk. The problem is we tried to replace Harris with a guy who clearly doesn't possess the skill set to be an effective punt returner.

Even though this was only his first punt return fumble, all season long I've viewed Beasley as a special teams liability because of his inability to gain more than a few yards per return.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

1bigfan13

Staff member
The lob was uncalled for IMO. A bad decision. He really didn't have to do that. That was some BS.
I don't think he lobbed it on purpose, I think he just underthrew it.

He made the proper read on the play, he just didn't execute properly. When they showed the replay Terrence Williams had his man beat by about 2 yards....a good throw would have resulted in a TD.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

He made the proper read on the play, he just didn't execute properly. When they showed the replay Terrence Williams had his man beat by about 2 yards....a good throw would have resulted in a TD.
His brain wrote a check his arm couldn't cash.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Amazes me that some people still don't get what a football sideline looks like. Yeah, we should suspend our only real pass rusher and the one guy bringing some attitude to the defense. :jerk
I still laugh at Aikman for bitching at Dez when Dez was clearly in the right in this instance.

Hardy blew up and started getting into it with teammates and coaches, Dez tries to reel Hardy back in yet Aikman starts sounding off on Dez as if was the trouble maker.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It wasn't a bad decision so much as it was a poor throw.

Still, if you watch the replay, in order for Cassell to have thrown it sooner when Williams was open, it would've required a faster developing play. So even if Cassell puts enough arm into the throw, it's going be a close call for real estate in the back of the endzone if Cassell leads Williams correctly.

Merriweather is able to get over because the ball hung in the air, but even if the ball is on the money and leads Williams out in front, it's going to be very close to the back of the endzone. I don't think the throw was late at all, and the replay supports that argument. Cassell threw it as soon as he came out of his playaction so he couldn't have thrown it any sooner than he did.

I just think that play was designed for 55 yards or so, but we attempted it from under 50.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not even going to copy and paste the shitty article, but go here if you'd like to read ESPN's opinion about why Hardy should be suspended for yesterday:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13975469/cowboys-suspend-greg-hardy-not-enable-him
I certainly do not condone Hardy' s past or yesterday's behavior but this writer obviously has an agenda about him. Jones isn't the one to be commenting on his behavior but Garrett should have given a firm reply about the way he disrespected one of the coaches. Passion about the game is one thing but presenting publically organizational disrespect is something else.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Correct.

But again, if you look at when Williams initially got open, Cassell hadn't yet broken out of the playaction motion. If that was a snap with no playaction, then he could've thrown it much sooner. But if you look at where Williams was on the field when Cassell releases the ball, you'll see that the only place he could've thrown it in order to lead him away from both the corner and the safety would've been in the back corner of the endzone.

That doesn't leave a lot of room to complete that play even with a perfect pass from a guy like Rodgers. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just that the way the play was designed didn't leave much margin for error in that area of the field.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It wasn't a bad decision so much as it was a poor throw.

Still, if you watch the replay, in order for Cassell to have thrown it sooner when Williams was open, it would've required a faster developing play. So even if Cassell puts enough arm into the throw, it's going be a close call for real estate in the back of the endzone if Cassell leads Williams correctly.

Merriweather is able to get over because the ball hung in the air, but even if the ball is on the money and leads Williams out in front, it's going to be very close to the back of the endzone. I don't think the throw was late at all, and the replay supports that argument. Cassell threw it as soon as he came out of his playaction so he couldn't have thrown it any sooner than he did.

I just think that play was designed for 55 yards or so, but we attempted it from under 50.
It shouldn't have been thrown. There was plenty of time to safely and systematically move the ball. Bad call by the OC or bad decision by the QB.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It shouldn't have been thrown. There was plenty of time to safely and systematically move the ball. Bad call by the OC or bad decision by the QB.
Yea, I would say it was a combination of both.

Cassell doesn't have the arm to make the throw that was required there, and the play wasn't the most ideal for that area of the field.

I love the playaction call, but it needed to be one that resulted in a quicker passing option than that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yea, I would say it was a combination of both.

Cassell doesn't have the arm to make the throw that was required there, and the play wasn't the most ideal for that area of the field.

I love the playaction call, but it needed to be one that resulted in a quicker passing option than that.
Yep. That pass is okay for a receiver on the move toward the end zone but almost a certainty to be a pick if the receiver and defenders are in the end zone waiting for the ball. The circumstances makes me think Cassel was slow on the delivery and that's probably on him.

Top Bottom