Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Redskins | Week 2 | 09-18-16

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Learning on the job. The Garrett Way.
If it took me just 6 weeks to figure out my job, I probably wouldn't have it anymore.....especially if I hadn't actually learned anything and was making the same mistakes.

He's going on his 7th season and he's no better a coach today then he was when he took over for Wade in the middle of 2010.

What a charmed life he lives.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Jerry is afraid of letting Garrett get to that Glory Hole for that other "team" and exploding into the coach he is meant to be.

:unsure

townsend

Banned
It's funny that Jay Gruden is considered a one of the worst coaches in the league, yet he's still 2-3 against Garrett (splitting the last two seasons) with the same number of division titles as Garrett, in far fewer years.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It's funny that Jay Gruden is considered a one of the worst coaches in the league, yet he's still 2-3 against Garrett (splitting the last two seasons) with the same number of division titles as Garrett, in far fewer years.
And lesser talent.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Feels odd to be discussing a meaningful Cowboys victory. Especially when you consider that they did it without Romo.

It almost has an "is this real life" -- David at the dentist feel to it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Feels odd to be discussing a meaningful Cowboys victory. Especially when you consider that they did it without Romo.

It almost has an "is this real life" -- David at the dentist feel to it.
To bad that rookie QB did nothing to show any promise.:unsure

Jiggyfly

Banned
But the key to Dak’s performance wasn’t his stats, it was how he rallied the team to victory at the end of the game. Starting at 10:35 in the fourth quarter, 1st and 10 at the Dallas 20 yard line, Dak drove the team 80 yards for the winning TD. Dak was 5-6 for 56 yards on the drive to put Dallas ahead, including a critical 3rd down and 11 in the red zone, leaving Washington 4:45 to attempt to rally. The defense did the rest. With that kind of improvement from week-to-week, there is no telling what Dak can do.
:happydance

townsend

Banned
I wonder which happens first, Dak has his first bad game and the whole world turns against him, or Romo comes back as a starter and is hated by everyone for displacing Dak.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
To bad that rookie QB did nothing to show any promise.:unsure
:zzz

I thought only women exaggerated and stretched the truth to hold something you said against you.....but obviously, I was wrong.

I still stand by what I said last week, but I don't know why some of you keep acting as if I said he wasn't impressive yesterday or as if I pronounced him a failure or whatever when I never said any such thing.

I said that he didn't do anything last week that I thought could be considered all that promising. I never said that the guy's career was defined and complete after just one game.

You disagree with me, fine....I get it. But get over it already, and don't be dramatic and imply that I said something I never said.

Sheesh, it's like talking to my wife with some of you guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder which happens first, Dak has his first bad game and the whole world turns against him, or Romo comes back as a starter and is hated by everyone for displacing Dak.
I just want to see this team get on a little roll now and build some confidence. With the Bears up next we have a legit shot at beating them as well as the 49ers the following week. A 3-1 start for Dak would be pretty impressive even if it is against sub par teams.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just want to see this team get on a little roll now and build some confidence. With the Bears up next we have a legit shot at beating them as well as the 49ers the following week. A 3-1 start for Dak would be pretty impressive even if it is against sub par teams.
I think the running game will be fine, and if it is, we have an excellent shot to come out of this month 3-1.

I actually thought the running game was doing well yesterday until Zeke fumbled. Coincidence or not, that fumble seemed to take some steam out of the running game and we never got going again. The 1st quarter wasn't good and neither was the 4th, but it came alive in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and if Zeke doesn't fumble, he picks up another 1st down and extends the drive, and I think you start to see us wear them down a bit and Zeke's day ends up looking quite impressive.

Along with Dez being moved around, the other adjustment we made that was encouraging was we cut out most of those silly shotgun runs from last week. Most of the stuff we ran yesterday was from under center and between the tackles.

I expect our best game on the ground yet next week vs Chicago.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I think this years D is going to be in the very lower ranking in the NFL. Run D looks bad, there is little to no pass rush (yes, I know we have people coming back) and Jones has looked really good at times, and really bad at times.

Lets not rejoice at the Washington "stop" yesterday...the Redskins are not a very good team. Cousins had guys running wide open all over the field and simply threw shitty passes. Plus, they committed a lot of mistakes that cost them time off the clock and yardage on that last drive.

UncleMilti

Staff member
If this team is above .500 when Romo is ready to go I think people will freak if they sit Dak.

Not only would it be asinine, but it would be an injustice to Dak.

Honestly, I'm pretty much over the Romo era. The future is on the field right now, and Jones needs to see if Dak is THE guy who is going to run this team the next 10 years or so. One thing is certain...Romo is past his prime and doesn't have 3-5 years left as the great PT Barnum screeched out for all to believe.

If its not Dak, then next year they have to draft another QB. Romo is done for all practical purposes.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If this team is above .500 when Romo is ready to go I think people will freak if they sit Dak.

Not only would it be asinine, but it would be an injustice to Dak.

Honestly, I'm pretty much over the Romo era. The future is on the field right now, and Jones needs to see if Dak is THE guy who is going to run this team the next 10 years or so. One thing is certain...Romo is past his prime and doesn't have 3-5 years left as the great PT Barnum screeched out for all to believe.

If its not Dak, then next year they have to draft another QB. Romo is done for all practical purposes.
Well then, you aren't going to like this:

No matter how well Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott plays, owner Jerry Jones said that as soon as Tony Romo is ready to play he’ll be in the lineup.

Prescott, who completed 22 of 30 passes for 292 yards in the Cowboys’ 27-23 win over Washington, is starting while Romo recovers from a broken bone in his back.

“Not necessarily, not necessarily,” said Jones, when asked if Prescott’s performance would let him be patient with Romo's return.

“Tony’s situation, when he’s back, will be about whether he’s functional," Jones said. "We’re a better team. We play better.”

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
2 games and now Prescott is THE guy to lead the Cowboys for the next ten or so years...

What happens if he comes out and stinks up the joint in the next 2 games? Is he still THE guy?

He's looked pretty good so far, but God damn. Might want to tap the brakes a little.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2 games and now Prescott is THE guy to lead the Cowboys for the next ten or so years...

What happens if he comes out and stinks up the joint in the next 2 games? Is he still THE guy?

He's looked pretty good so far, but God damn. Might want to tap the brakes a little.
Of course. All that he has done so far at least to me makes the need to draft a QB in April a little less pressing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually thought the running game was doing well yesterday until Zeke fumbled. Coincidence or not, that fumble seemed to take some steam out of the running game and we never got going again. The 1st quarter wasn't good and neither was the 4th, but it came alive in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and if Zeke doesn't fumble, he picks up another 1st down and extends the drive, and I think you start to see us wear them down a bit and Zeke's day ends up looking quite impressive.
Oddly enough when Zeke fumbled he was doing exactly what I had been waiting for him to do some time. Sort of hide behind the O-line, make that quick cut outside and then cut upfield. It's a sort of move that is there a lot of times and if he makes that DB miss his tackle he can get some serious yards. Unfortunately this time the defender did a good job of knocking that ball out and Zeke was kind of shaken after that.

I also think that all of the success that Dak is having is going to start forcing defenses to respect our pass more and make create some better opportunities in the run game. With a rookie QB you generally want to force him to beat you with his arm as opposed to letting the Cowboys run all over you. But if Dak shows he can and he will beat you with his arm that forces defenses to move guys back which will open the run game more.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

And that was all I was trying to say last week.

I was impressed by his preseason, but I was still in wait-and-see mode. I didn't think he was bad last week and never said he was bad, but I also didn't think there was anything in that performance that I thought was promising. It was an average performance, IMO.

Now, maybe I expected too much, but whatever.

By the same token, I was very impressed with what I saw yesterday and it's the type of performance that gives you hope that you may just have a future QB on your hands. Still, it's way too early to determine what he is or isn't and if you're a smart franchise, you continue to do the work on other QB's until you're 100% sure you have the guy.

If Romo goes the way we all think he will, then Dak will have 10-plus games under his belt this season and we'll have a much better idea of what kind of player he is when we get to the Winter.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Of course. All that he has done so far at least to me makes the need to draft a QB in April a little less pressing.
If he's still playing like this in November, then I agree.

Right now, QB has to be at or near the top of the list for the scouts, IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

No but I think at this point you have to start of wash away where the guys are drafted and evaluate them on their performances so far. And so far (preseason included) Dak looks legit. I don't see a reason why we shouldn't look him as a potential long term solution to the QB problem. And if he starts to go downhill you start to rethink that position, just like any team does with their QB.

Top Bottom