Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dallas does struggle to build up positions of strength simply because they are only getting about 2 players or so out of a draft. Usually those are players that are filling a hole. Lawrence for Ware this year for example. Sturm used the example of running around sticking their fingers in a hole in the dam only to see more pop up. Either players that are no longer effective or players who they missed on in the draft.

If you look at the really good teams in the league now, they've had at either one bang up draft with significant starters coming out of it or a couple of drafts in close proximity with multiple starters emerging .

Seattle - 2010, 2012
SF - 2007, 2010, 2011
Denver - 2010, 2011

I feel like Dallas is building OL into a position of strength although Martin is, hopefully, a 1 year guard and then a long term RT. They aren't building much in the way of depth there.

You've got to get more than 2 starters and 1-2 role players out of a draft.

My worry is that they move on from Carr after this season, don't give Claiborne his fifth year option and are back to the well for a corner again.
Agreed although I think we have definitely built the OL into a position of strength and if there is any position group that I would want to be the strength of the team it'd be either the OL or DL, so that's something.

As for Martin, I would just play him at whichever position is best, if that's OG, leave him there, don't put him at RT just because. The idea of Smith-Martin-Frederick on one side of the line is quite enticing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think this is more than a 2 player draft. I can see Street and maybe 2 or 3 of the 7th rounders being solid contributors.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think this is more than a 2 player draft. I can see Street and maybe 2 or 3 of the 7th rounders being solid contributors.
I think we'll definitely get 3 solid contributors and possibly a couple of minor role players/special team contributors out of the 7th rounders and UDFAs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We'll see.... like I said, at one time I felt that way about a lot of the late round guys in 2009.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Every player but Hitchens and Smith look to have a solid chance to get time.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Every player but Hitchens and Smith look to have a solid chance to get time.
Hitchens will have plenty of time when the inevitable happens with Lee.

dallen

Senior Tech
Who will make it longer this year? Lee or Romo?
Romo. The line should be able to protect him. As long as his back holds up he'll be ok. Lee seems to follow the Josh Hamilton school of creative injuries

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo. The line should be able to protect him. As long as his back holds up he'll be ok. Lee seems to follow the Josh Hamilton school of creative injuries
I think the coaching staff will design and implement a more utilized running game out of the desire to protect Romo. Quarterbacks are rarely hit handing off the ball.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think the coaching staff will design and implement a more utilized running game out of the desire to protect Romo. Quarterbacks are rarely hit handing off the ball.
Then when Murray goes down we will be privileged with the loser Randle trying to move the football.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

GShock

DCC 4Life
I think the coaching staff will design and implement a more utilized running game out of the desire to protect Romo.
That is the triumph of hope over experience. Garrett will not commit to running the ball. He simply does not believe in it. Never has, regardless of the circumstance. When he had an opportunity to tweak the offensive staff this off-season, he got a guy who is essentially all pass all the time.

Not. Going. To happen.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I dunno, remember when he tweaked it in the Washington game? It wasn't exactly a massive hit, and then I think we were told he aggravated something that existed previously.

He's got a bad back. That's not going to improve, and it only takes one awkward hit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Romo does get hurt hopefully it's early in the year so we can grab a top 10 pick in a much stronger QB class.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is the triumph of hope over experience. Garrett will not commit to running the ball. He simply does not believe in it. Never has, regardless of the circumstance. When he had an opportunity to tweak the offensive staff this off-season, he got a guy who is essentially all pass all the time.

Not. Going. To happen.

data

Forbes #1
22.8 seems awfully high. I would've said more like 18 - at least for last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom