Video Game Chatter

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Were you part of the DCC group that played RDR online?

That was by far the most fun game we ever played, and it was the game that got the most involvement from the DCC.

It was only like 2 weeks, but so many of us got on and that shit was a blast. One laugh after the other.

I specifically remember @mschmidt64 killing Thorn and then him saying "Suck it, Thorn! Oh wait......."

:lol

It's been a while, but I think that group consisted of myself, Schmitty, @GForce78NJ, gator, Thorn, EZ, and I think even @boozeman jumped on for a round or two.

Maybe even @Deuce ?

I know I'm leaving some people out because we'd have some nights where we'd have as many as 10 DCC'ers on.

The good ol' days. :sad
Part of the announcement news was that Rockstar registered the URL RedDeadOnline.com.

So expect a RDR equivalent of GTA Online with this game.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Everything We Know About Nintendo Switch
Wired
Chris Kohler
2 hrs ago

Nintendo’s next console is almost here. Nintendo Switch, previously codenamed NX and announced this morning, is on track to release in March 2017. When it’s out, your home and portable play will be combined into one unit: Switch is a tablet with detachable controllers that can dock with your TV, playing its games anywhere.

The hanafuda maker is still playing its hand close to its chest, however, only unveiling a short, three-minute concept video of the Switch, plus a little bit of information in follow-up press releases. Nintendo promises to unveil more information later, including lists of games, system specs, and the all-important price.

For now, here’s everything we know about Nintendo Switch.

It combines home and portable into a single unit.

You can play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on your big-screen TV at home, but why stop there? Pull the Switch out of the docking station next to your TV, and you can take that game on the go. This means more than just convenience: It means that Nintendo’s home and portable game libraries will now be combined into one single platform. No more having to support both the home Wii U and the portable 3DS with separate Mario Kart games—Nintendo can just create one game that’s played by everyone. And you don’t have to buy two pieces of Nintendo hardware to enjoy all the company’s games, anymore.

It has many different control options.

You’ll notice joysticks and buttons on the sides of the Switch. These will let you play Zelda when used in tandem. But you can also break those controllers off, like so many pieces of a Kit Kat bar, hand one to a friend, and play a round of competitive, portable Mario Kart anywhere you like. This will of course mean that each player’s control option is limited to one joystick and a handful of buttons. But many Nintendo games already control just fine with such a setup. You can also play local multiplayer games using two or more Switch consoles.

You also have the option of controlling a game with one controller in each hand, like playing an old-school Wii game with the remote and nunchuk attachment. These controllers are known as Joy-Cons, and you can put them into an accessory called the Joy-Con Grip to create a single controller that’s sort of shaped like a standard gamepad. And if you truly want a standard gamepad experience for hardcore gamin’, you can just buy the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.

But the teaser trailer does leave some questions unanswered. Is the screen on the Switch a touch screen? We assume it must be, but we didn’t see anyone touching it. Do the Joy-Cons have motion sensors? I give that about a 50 percent chance, but again, we didn’t see it. Can you use the Joy-Cons to point and click at the TV screen, like a Wii remote? Not sure!

Nintendo Switch will indeed have videogames from Nintendo and other software makers.

Phew! Here’s a list of every single game we can see in the video.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The only game we definitely knew was coming to NX prior to this announcement, so not a surprise. If you want to read all about it, we played the Wii U version at E3, which Nintendo says will be identical to the Switch version.

Skyrim. Bethesda’s medieval RPG epic is coming to Switch, if you wished Zelda had more murders.

Mario Kart 8. From what we’re seeing in the video, it seems like the Wii U version of Nintendo’s racing game will be ported to the Switch. Not sure what changes might be made.

NBA Live. Electronic Arts hasn’t made a Nintendo game in many years, but it’s back for Switch with its signature basketball game.

Super Mario. Switch is getting what Wii U never did: a new single-player Mario game in the style of Super Mario 64. About time.

Splatoon. In this case, it doesn’t look like a straight port of Nintendo’s Wii U paint-splattering shooter game, since the characters have customizable hairstyles, which isn’t possible in the current-gen version. An upgrade, or a true sequel? Still not sure.

Ubisoft, back at this year’s E3, also announced that Just Dance would come to Switch. We didn’t see it in the video. Speculation time: Is it because Nintendo isn’t ready to announce that the Joy-Cons have motion controls? Maybe we’ll see Ubisoft’s dance game at that time.

Nintendo Switch is powered by a version of Nvidia’s Tegra mobile processor.

Nintendo usually doesn’t like talking up what’s inside its hardware (which got it into some trouble with Wii U when many people weren’t even aware that it had announced a new piece of hardware). That changes with Nintendo Switch, as it’s publicly touting the fact that inside the unit is an Nvidia Tegra, the high-performance mobile gaming chip.

“The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an Nvidia GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards,” Nvidia wrote on its blog. But the company isn’t just providing the chips, it says, noting that it was involved in the creation of the “algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals.”

Many different publishers and developers have pledged involvement (but that doesn’t mean much).
As usual with the launch of a new game platform, Nintendo has a massive list of major game developers and publishers that are publicly announcing support for the Switch. Just take all this with a grain of salt, because none of this means they’ll definitely release games on the platform—just that they’re looking into it.

Games will be sold on small SD card-sized memory cards.
While you will surely be able to buy games digitally on Switch, physical game retailers aren’t being left out of the equation. You’ll be able to buy your games on tiny cards about the size of a 3DS game cart, if you’re into that sort of thing. No promise that every game will get such a physical release, of course. And no details on how big those cards are.

It has a kickstand.
Nice.

D

Deuce

Battlefield 1!
The Battlefield game we played on PS3 was so great, the ones since have left me disappointed despite the better graphics. Idk if I can get into one again.

Besides, if I want to play that style of game, I'm content with throwing Star Wars Battlefront back in.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I know, but unless I get some FIFA fever soon, I have no idea what else I'd save it for.
Yeah I'm still milking Witcher 3 but after that I have no idea what I'll do.
Just thought of something.....what about Rise of the Tomb Raider?

The first one was great, and the sequel is supposed to be even better. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I know I'm going to have tunnel vision with BF1 for at least a month, so I'll wait to get it when I know I'll actually start playing it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Battlefield game we played on PS3 was so great, the ones since have left me disappointed despite the better graphics. Idk if I can get into one again.

Besides, if I want to play that style of game, I'm content with throwing Star Wars Battlefront back in.
Yea, that one was BF: Bad Company 2 and it's still widely recognized by the BF community as the best BF in recent years, if not ever.

D

Deuce

The first one was great, and the sequel is supposed to be even better. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I know I'm going to have tunnel vision with BF1 for at least a month, so I'll wait to get it when I know I'll actually start playing it.
I never played the first one, but I heard good things. Maybe using it on a couple of older games on the cheap will be the way to go. I also have interest in FarCry Primal. I don't think the ratings were great, but I think the premise looks awesome.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've never been a Tomb Raider person. I'd probably have to have someone sell me on that game.

midswat

... soon
Question....

I told my kids I'd get them a video game console for Xmas. They're 9, 7, & 5. I was expecting them to ask for a PS4 or a Xbox One. But they asked for a Xbox 360 because the neighbors kids have a 360 and they want to be able to play the same games online with friends.

Problem is, my kids don't do the best job of turning the video game console off when not playing. They'll turn the TV off, but always forget about the console. At least this was the case when they had a PS3 not long ago. And IIRC the 360 has a problem with hard drive crashes when its been on to long. Is that still an issue?

If I get them a Xbox One, will they be able to play 360 games online? Thanks

I've heard and read conflicting things from people I've asked IRL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think you can play Xbox 360 with Xbox 1, no.

There are very few games that are cross-platform compatible. Rocket League is one such, but as far as I know it can play between PC, PS4, and XB1. Not 360 or PS3.

I'd get the PS4. It shuts off automatically after a period of inactivity. And in general it has the better exclusive games.

data

Forbes #1
[MENTION=98]midswat[/MENTION] Why on Earth would you have the third kid so close in age to the first two - you just stupid Bobby Boucher-style or super-rich with three nannies and a night nanny? How did you survive? Does your wife work? Two kids are killing me :lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think you can play Xbox 360 with Xbox 1, no.

There are very few games that are cross-platform compatible. Rocket League is one such, but as far as I know it can play between PC, PS4, and XB1. Not 360 or PS3.

I'd get the PS4. It shuts off automatically after a period of inactivity. And in general it has the better exclusive games.
I can affirm what Schmitty says is pretty much true.

And that is rare, so take it for what it is worth.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Question....

I told my kids I'd get them a video game console for Xmas. They're 9, 7, & 5. I was expecting them to ask for a PS4 or a Xbox One. But they asked for a Xbox 360 because the neighbors kids have a 360 and they want to be able to play the same games online with friends.

Problem is, my kids don't do the best job of turning the video game console off when not playing. They'll turn the TV off, but always forget about the console. At least this was the case when they had a PS3 not long ago. And IIRC the 360 has a problem with hard drive crashes when its been on to long. Is that still an issue?

If I get them a Xbox One, will they be able to play 360 games online? Thanks

I've heard and read conflicting things from people I've asked IRL.
You cannot play XB1 games online with 360 users.

As for which console to get, that depends on how serious your kids are about gaming. I know they're young, but are they going to be playing online a lot?

If the answer is yes, then I'd say go with the console that has most players which is the PS4. A lot of people switched from Xbox to Playstation this generation, so those who had 360's aren't necessarily going to get an XB1.

If your kids are telling you that the neighbors kids want an XB1 for Xmas, then you should probably go that route that way your kids get to play with their friends which is the whole reason why they want to play in the first place.

If I were you, I'd play the dummy and try to trick your kids into giving you info that is helpful to you getting them what they want. Ask them why their buddies haven't bought a new console yet, and then ask them which one do they think their buddies would get if they had a choice. That'll help narrow it down for you.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

If I were you, I'd play the dummy and try to trick your kids into giving you info that is helpful to you getting them what they want. Ask them why their buddies haven't bought a new console yet, and then ask them which one do they think their buddies would get if they had a choice. That'll help narrow it down for you.
Easier plan: Talk to the neighbor kids' parents. Ask them what they have and if they are upgrading. If they are sticking with the 360, go the cheap route and get one of those along with whatever games they have.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Easier plan: Talk to the neighbor kids' parents. Ask them what they have and if they are upgrading. If they are sticking with the 360, go the cheap route and get one of those along with whatever games they have.
Talk to other kids' parents?

Who actually does that?

:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talk to other kids' parents?

Who actually does that?

:unsure
People still play XBox360?

I'd always be hesitant buying an older counsel like that. The neighbor kids might be using it right this second but it's probably only a matter of time before everyone upgrades.

Top Bottom