Archer: Cowboys know replacing Dwayne Harris will be difficult

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys know replacing Dwayne Harris will be difficult

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- Normally a wide receiver with 33 career catches would not be considered a big loss in free agency, but Dwayne Harris was not just a receiver.

He was a returner and top tackler on special teams.

“We might not be able to find one guy to do all those different things,” coach Jason Garrett said at the owners meetings.

The New York Giants signed Harris to a five-year deal that guaranteed him $7.1 million. The Cowboys made their choice at backup receiver before free agency began, signing slot receiver Cole Beasley to a four-year deal that guaranteed him $7 million.

The Cowboys do not have a ready-made returner on the roster with the abilities of Harris, whose numbers were down in 2014. As they will likely do at running back to replace DeMarco Murray, the Cowboys could go with a committee approach at returner.

Beasley has returned punts in the past. Safety J.J. Wilcox has some experience as a kick returner, as does running back Lance Dunbar.

At receiver, the Cowboys could get more out of second-year man Devin Street, who also practiced some as a returner in 2014.

The draft could produce a middle-round prospect such as Stanford’s Ty Montgomery or Kansas State’s Tyler Lockett to fill the roles Harris handled.

The departure of Harris will not change the balance of power in the NFC East but it does affect how the Cowboys construct their roster, especially on game day. Harris could fill a number of roles. He even lined up as a running back on a handful of plays and he could have been the emergency quarterback with the Cowboys dressing only two quarterbacks during the season.

Garrett heaped so much praise on Harris -- “Great returner, cover guy. Leads our team in tackles. Has a role on offense. Willing to do anything. All the dirty work, very valuable role for us” -- because he knows those players are hard to find.

vince

Not So New Member
Maybe as a special team tackler but def not as a return man.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's really nice to have a guy that can kind of do multiple things. I actually thought Harris did a really good job on the coverage units which isn't something you really expect from a WR/Returner. However as far as replacing him goes, it shouldn't be difficult to replace him as a returner or WR. While it might be nice to have a guy who can do all 3 things, it's not really that hard to ask someone else to play coverage units.

Besides half the reason Harris left was because he wanted a chance to play offense as opposed to just being a specialty guy. He himself had grown tired of the role.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The guy who replaced him at East Carolina, Justin Hardy, wouldn't be a bad replacement for him in the pros, either.

Don't think Hardy will fall to the 6th round like Harris did, though.

p1_

DCC 4Life
When Cole Beasley moves ahead of you as a receiver, you might be considered expendable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Give me a break.
They may be making a bigger deal of it, but Harris did fill a couple of roles, returner, 4th WR (blocking especially) and probably more importantly, gunner. Will be tough to find a WR who can do all of those duties.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He had decent all around balance as a player but you still want a guy like him to move further up the ranks of his named position after 4 years. He was a good ST guy, a good returner though no Josh Cribbs or Devin Hester in their primes. Maybe it takes two pairs of shoes to fill his but that isn't the end of the world or unusual.

Was he worth $3.5M per with $7M guaranteed? Not to me. Maybe after his 2013 season but not after last season. JMO.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Was he worth $3.5M per with $7M guaranteed? Not to me. Maybe after his 2013 season but not after last season. JMO.
Absolutely not. While I point and laugh at the Giants, I still can see that they might have to need two players to replace him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They may be making a bigger deal of it, but Harris did fill a couple of roles, returner, 4th WR (blocking especially) and probably more importantly, gunner. Will be tough to find a WR who can do all of those duties.
We don't need all that from the same player. We probably already have our 4th WR on the roster (Street). Gunner, they always overplay how hard it is to replace, yet we always do.

The hardest to replace and the one Harris duty that we almost certainly can't replace from within is returner. But even at that, Harris was giving us diminishing returns there so I'm pretty much ready to move on.

If these things were so hard to replace, players who do it would get good money to do it, and yet they don't.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We don't need all that from the same player. We probably already have our 4th WR on the roster (Street). Gunner, they always overplay how hard it is to replace, yet we always do.

The hardest to replace and the one Harris duty that we almost certainly can't replace from within is returner. But even at that, Harris was giving us diminishing returns there so I'm pretty much ready to move on.

If these things were so hard to replace, players who do it would get good money to do it, and yet they don't.
Well, Harris did get good money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Yep. Actually he could have been cut loose a year earlier as far as i am concerned.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yep. Actually he could have been cut loose a year earlier as far as i am concerned.
A year prior, Harris was among the best returners in the league. It would have been silly to cut him loose.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A year prior, Harris was among the best returners in the league. It would have been silly to cut him loose.
He was about the middle of the pack in both kick and punt returns lazt season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There is no way to know that at the time.
His skills were already diminishing before last year and his receiving was already declining. The only thing that wasn't declining was his gunner speed. He couldnt get open on recieving routes because he spent too much time juking the DB at the line of scrimmage. I pointed this out last season.

Top Bottom