2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That's true. But none of them except OSU was in the playoffs. You only got the Buckeye hype when they made the playoff bracket but most had them as whipping boys to Bama. Just after Oregon won some of the announcers said it looks like Oregon will meet Alabama in the final and their game hadn't even started. My premise is simple. There is a media bias toward Alabama and it sometimes gets then in the ratings ahead of others. That should be easy for anyone to see..
The premise is simple. If any of those other tradition powers had one loss like Alabama they too would've gotten the hype and been in the playoffs. Heck, Notre Dame would've probably been in the playoffs with 2 losses. The media will always bee biased towards the traditional powers, and moreso towards a tradition powerhouse that has multiple national championships in the last 5 years.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The Big 12 sort of sucks. It is a watered down conference from where it should be. I think the right teams got in based on FSU being undefeated. You can't penalize them for being undefeated in an ugly fashion IMO.

I don't get the QB argument though. This rating thing makes little sense. The fact is that he was the 3rd best QB on his team. If the rating was important then they should have given him the start over lessor rated players. That would be really stupid though, so who cares. OSU played as a team and beat an Alabama team that is not as good as they have been in the past. Alabama was overrated based on their lore alone.

Whatever though. I'm just glad that Alabama lost. That pretty much says it all.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't get the QB argument though. This rating thing makes little sense. The fact is that he was the 3rd best QB on his team. If the rating was important then they should have given him the start over lessor rated players. That would be really stupid though, so who cares. OSU played as a team and beat an Alabama team that is not as good as they have been in the past. Alabama was overrated based on their lore alone.

Whatever though. I'm just glad that Alabama lost. That pretty much says it all.
I think the point was even though he was 3rd string, it could be he as still a 5* recruit who just happened to be behind two more experienced 5* recruits.

But I looked it up and he was only a 3* recruit.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/103709/cardale-jones

Looks like Alabama got whipped by a mediocre 3rd stringer. :laff

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't think there is a bias against the Big 12. TCU got screwed because they are TCU. If it had been UT or Oklahoma sitting there with one loss, they get in over Ohio State.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think the point was even though he was 3rd string, it could be he as still a 5* recruit who just happened to be behind two more experienced 5* recruits.

But I looked it up and he was only a 3* recruit.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/103709/cardale-jones

Looks like Alabama got whipped by a mediocre 3rd stringer. :laff
Rivals had him at 12 overall...and the reason it matters is because it was used to minimize how good OSU was, making the loss worse for Alabama. If skid and LT were not using that rationale then it should not have been brought up to begin with.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Rivals had him at 12 overall...and the reason it matters is because it was used to minimize how good OSU was, making the loss worse for Alabama. If skid and LT were not using that rationale then it should not have been brought up to begin with.
No it was used to show how Alabama actually was. They couldn't live up to their hype. OSU didn't have their starting QB and still put them away handily.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wow! Houston just engineered a whale of a comeback. They might win the game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wow! Houston just engineered a whale of a comeback. They might win the game.
Yeah, that was one helluva comeback. Very impressive. Gibbs stock just went up a bit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So what I said.
No you said I was trying to minimize OSU. What I was doing was to show that Alabama wasn't as good as their hype and rating. Totally different. O$U looks pretty good to me and they don't have their starting QB.

Carp

DCC 4Life
No you said I was trying to minimize OSU. What I was doing was to show that Alabama wasn't as good as their hype and rating. Totally different. O$U looks pretty good to me and they don't have their starting QB.
They were not as good because they played a lesser QB in your eyes. Clearly you are minimizing the player, but can't see it for whatever reason. If they win the title I hope there is an asterisk pointing out Jones was a 3rd stringer.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
To me this conversation is just weird. OSU played a really good game and came together as a team. They seemed to rise to the occasion when they needed to. They rallied around their QB despite his obvious lack of experience. He seems like a tough kid but he is no Miller or Barrett. He was the 3rd stringer. Urban is really good at getting teams to play together. This takes pressure off of the QB. Still, I have no doubt that Alabama would have got destroyed had the other two QBs been ready to play.

Honestly I give more credit to what OSU did than what what Alabama didn't. Had it said that, Alabama didn't blow me away at all. I was a little shocked that they couldn't disrupt the QB more and make him flench. You'd think that might sec defense could show up more than they did.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
They were not as good because they played a lesser QB in your eyes. Clearly you are minimizing the player, but can't see it for whatever reason. If they win the title I hope there is an asterisk pointing out Jones was a 3rd stringer.

Exactly! They were not as good because of that reason. He was the 3rd string QB. Which means he was the 3rd best in the team. Which means that without the better QBs they would be expected to do less. Which didn't happen because OSU played a heck of a game and Alabama's defense wasn't as great as many thought. Did you happen to catch the points allowed by the sec during the bowl season?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Exactly! They were not as good because of that reason. He was the 3rd string QB. Which means he was the 3rd best in the team. Which means that without the better QBs they would be expected to do less. Which didn't happen because OSU played a heck of a game and Alabama's defense wasn't as great as many thought. Did you happen to catch the points allowed by the sec during the bowl season?
I did catch all the points the SEC gave up, but the discussion currently being had was purely about Ala per LT. Also, 3rd best on OSU might be 1st best on Ala...so there is that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Texas Tech will be in a bowl next season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They were not as good because they couldn't beat a team without their starter. It's not that hard. It's has nothing to do with evaluating OSU s players and everything to do with the percieved quality of Alabama. Quit trying to twist things to fit your agenda and just take it for what it is. I know what I said. It's about the overhyped expectations of the Alabama team. That how I started and that's what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom