MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

You are butchering it.

Its supposed to be.. Your tears are tasty.
You butchered that worse than Nelson Cruz did a routine fly ball in right field to win the World Series.

It's "Your tears are delicious."

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You butchered that worse than Nelson Cruz did a routine fly ball in right field to win the World Series.

It's "Your tears are delicious."
So you are saying I was close?

Rev

Staff member
Rangers manager Ron Washington paid a $200 fine with 20,000 pennies

This is great.

Two years ago, Rangers manager Ron Washington was ejected from a spring training game and fined $200 by MLB. Third baseman Adrian Beltre got tossed and then Washington got run by the umpire after leaving the dugout to stand up for his player.

How did Washington pay that relatively small fine? He shipped a box of 20,000 pennies to MLB's office in New York. From Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

“I lost my mind,” Washington recalled. “Beltre was yelling from the dugout, ‘It was outside!' And the umpire threw him out of the game because he told Beltre to stop and Beltre didn't stop. And then I went out there and argued with him and I said something I shouldn't have said.”

Washington responded by filling a box with $200 in pennies and mailing it to Bob Watson, MLB vice president in charge of discipline. Cost to mail it to New York: About $45.

Watson called after receiving the box.

Watson: “And you just had $200 in pennies hanging around? Washington: “Yes. Bob, I didn't have my checkbook. I wasn't trying to be funny. Now go to the bank and put that in the [change] machine and get your $200.”

One penny weighs 2.5 grams, so 20,000 pennies weigh about 110 pounds. That was a pretty heavy box. Hopefully Washington tipped his mailman well.

Believe it or not, you can be fined for paying bills with a large quantity of pennies. Where's the fun in that?

Rev

Staff member
Oh Chapman. That hurt me watching it.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Rangers can't catch a break:

Jurickson Profar has been diagnosed with a torn right shoulder muscle and will be sidelined for the next 10-12 weeks.

The dynamic young infielder dealt with tendinitis in the shoulder in the early part of spring training, and felt pain after trying to turn a double play in the sixth inning of Sunday's Cactus League contest. He'll undergo surgery to repair the problem, and the Rangers are hoping to have him back by mid-season. It's unclear what the Rangers will do to fill the void at second base, but top prospect Rougned Odor could merit consideration. Mar 23 - 8:04 PM

Carp

DCC 4Life
Washington had to pay with pennies because all his dollars were rolled up to snort lines with.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Washington had to pay with pennies because all his dollars were rolled up to snort lines with.
:lol

When that was first posted I gave a couple minutes of thought trying to tie the pennies thing into a coke jab/joke but didn't come up with anything good. Well done.

Rev

Staff member
He gets a little prop but loses it because it took so long.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yep. Along with the starting rotation continuing from last season on the disabled list.
Soto to have surgery…out 10-12 weeks

Catcher Geovany Soto is scheduled to undergo surgery on his right knee Wednesday to repair a torn meniscus. He is out 10-12 weeks. The Rangers are looking for catching depth behind J.P. Arencibia and Robinson Chirinos.

Engel Beltre has a fracture in his right tibia and will start the season on the disabled list.

Yu Darvish is playing catch today. Rangers acknowledge he might have to be pushed back from Opening Day. Mitch Moreland is playing in the Cactus League game today.

Rev

Staff member
Yeah. Not looking good at all. We will probably be fielding our triple A team by May.

Rev

Staff member
Not sure who is left to get hurt. I think I read where Prince is the only regular that hasn't had some kind of ailment this spring. Greg Maddox is throwing out the first pitch and if Yu gets scratched then I say just have Greg keep throwing.

D

Deuce

Not sure who is left to get hurt. I think I read where Prince is the only regular that hasn't had some kind of ailment this spring. Greg Maddox is throwing out the first pitch and if Yu gets scratched then I say just have Greg keep throwing.
Does High Cholesterol and Diabeetus count as ailments?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Jon Daniels: Garza trade could 'haunt me'
March, 24, 2014
By Richard Durrett | ESPNChicago.com

Like most general managers, Jon Daniels has made some deals he wishes he hadn't made. Sure, he completed his share of blockbusters that helped the Texas Rangers vault into contention a few years back (the Mark Teixeira and Cliff Lee deals lead the list). But he also had some swings and misses (Adrian Gonzalez might be the biggest).

In July 2013, Daniels knew the Rangers needed some pitching help to bolster the rotation down the stretch, and he acquired Matt Garza from the Cubs, trading away four prospects. So what does Daniels think of that deal now?

"I thought way too short-term with the Garza deal last year," Daniels told Zach Buchanan of the Arizona Republic. "That one's got a chance to haunt us and haunt me."

To land Garza, Daniels dealt third baseman Mike Olt, right-handed pitcher C.J. Edwards, right-handed starter Justin Grimm and right-handed pitcher Neil Ramirez, who was the player to be named later.

As expected, Garza became a free agent after the season and signed with the Brewers.

Garza had pitched well in Chicago, and the Rangers were desperate for pitching help to make a push. But the same Garza never showed up in Texas. In 13 starts in a Rangers uniform, Garza was 4-5 with a 4.38 ERA in 84 1/3 innings, and Texas didn’t make the postseason, losing to the Tampa Bay Rays in Game 163, the one-game playoff to determine a wild-card postseason spot.

Olt is competing for the starting third-base job with the Cubs this spring. Edwards had a terrific 2013, split between the Rangers and Cubs, and continues to progress toward the big leagues. Add in Grimm and Ramirez, and the Cubs got a nice foursome of prospects for Garza.

That's why Daniels says it could haunt him.
----------------------------------------------------------
:towel

So far Edwards looks very legit. Still have to see how he does at the higher-level minors but he could end up being a good one. Olt has looked great at the plate this spring. Given that Luis Valbuena and Donnie Murphy are all that is currently blocking him from the starting 3B job, at this point I think he has a strong chance to make the big league club and play quite a bit, if not start, this season. Grimm should be a solid 'pen arm and Ramirez could end up as a 5th starter type or maybe long reliever. It was a great trade for the Cubs for sure, but time will tell how great.

Rev

Staff member
For me the toughest trade to take was giving away Adrian Gonzalez but that Garza trade is giving it a run for the money.

D

Deuce

For me the toughest trade to take was giving away Adrian Gonzalez but that Garza trade is giving it a run for the money.
Just wait til they get desperate enough for Price. Ooohh weeee I can't wait to see that haul.

Top Bottom