One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
RE: Carl Lawson

:picard

midswat

... soon

Where did that comment come from? Seems like an out of the blue comment for mid season unless theres something I've missed.

But isn't he kind of right? Is there a history of a lot of short, successful DE's? Dumerville is the only one I can remember.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Even worse....

So let's get this straight. It is not in Marinelli's best interests?

What about the team's best interest when the old man quits? Then you are stuck with the players he preferred. And you are not going to move on from them if the new guy doesn't "prefer" that type of player.

Cotton

Staff member
Where did that comment come from? Seems like an out of the blue comment for mid season unless theres something I've missed.

But isn't he kind of right? Is there a history of a lot of short, successful DE's? Dumerville is the only one I can remember.
Someone asked him about taking Taco over Watt and Lawson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cavanaugh asked specifically about Carl Lawson, who has seven sacks as a rotational player versus Charlton's one.

Cotton

Staff member
Even worse....

So let's get this straight. It is not in Marinelli' best interests?

What about the team's best interest when the old man quits? Then you are stuck with the players he preferred. And you are not going to move on from them if the new guy doesn't "prefer" that type of player.
A coach should never get to overrule a scout. Especially a lead scout. Should he have input? Sure. Should he get to make the final decision on a player? Hell no.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Even worse....

So let's get this straight. It is not in Marinelli' best interests?

What about the team's best interest when the old man quits? Then you are stuck with the players he preferred.
My thought exactly. What if there's a great 34 coordinator out there next time?

But of course at the time of the draft, we were coming off 13-3 and any change was the last thing Stephen was thinking of. Steve thinks he's great at this, and his amazing plan was just coming together.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, he says this yet that was the exact reasoning given why they took Charlton over Watt.

These guys are certifiably ignorant.

midswat

... soon
And here I always thought Stephen was the light at the end of the tunnel.

Holy shit... I'm only 40 years old. I was 17 the last time the Cowboys won the Super Bowl. There is a very real possibility I never see one again in my lifetime.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Lawson is exactly 1/2 an inch shorter than Takk McKinley who we supposedly liked in the 1st, so what sense does this make?

Lawson is a guy I wanted in the 2nd/3rd, he had 1st round talent but there were injury concerns and if he'd be able to hold up as a full-time starter on the edge because of his size. Even with all that he was always extremely explosive and was a perfect LEO type of weakside DE, he would've been great here as a rotational rusher, just as he is in Cincinnati.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lawson is exactly 1/2 an inch shorter than Takk McKinley who we supposedly liked in the 1st, so what sense does this make?

Lawson is a guy I wanted in the 2nd/3rd, he had 1st round talent but there were injury concerns and if he'd be able to hold up as a full-time starter on the edge because of his size. Even with all that he was always extremely explosive and was a perfect LEO type of weakside DE, he would've been great here as a rotational rusher, just as he is in Cincinnati.
Short arms, duh.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Short arms, duh.
I mean, considering how obtuse and unoriginal the coaching staff seems as far as in-game adjustments and X's and O's it shouldn't be much of a surprise that they keep to rigid height/weight/size baselines and aren't able to think outside the box.

p1_

DCC 4Life
sounds just as retarded as his deddy.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
And here I always thought Stephen was the light at the end of the tunnel.

Holy shit... I'm only 40 years old. I was 17 the last time the Cowboys won the Super Bowl. There is a very real possibility I never see one again in my lifetime.
I think a lot people thought that, hoping Jerral would step down or die so Stephen would take over and improve things. Well, so much for that.

I'm 52 so things are looking bleak.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Don't expect anything in the next 10-15 years while Philly has a guy like Carson Wentz and we have a guy that needs EVERYTHING perfect to have success.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Stephen isn't any smarter than his daddy. Can only hope he doesn't have his dad's ego and won't be opposed to hiring a real HC for fear he'll be overshadowed or having to give up too much control.

Top Bottom