Rep. Steve Scalise and others shot at GOP baseball practice

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rep. Steve Scalise shot at GOP baseball practice
BY REBECCA SAVRANSKY - 06/14/17 07:52 AM EDT

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) is in stable condition after being shot early Wednesday at a baseball practice field in a Washington D.C. suburb, according to multiple reports.

Scalise was one of several people shot at the practice in Alexandria, Va., where it is believed a single gunman fired as many as 50 shots at lawmakers and aides who scrambled for cover.

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), his voice breaking, told CNN that "at least five" people were shot. Two Capitol Police officers on protective detail were also reportedly shot in the incident.

Brooks said he used his belt as a tourniquet to help Scalise, who he said was shot in the hip.

Brooks and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) both described Scalise as dragging himself away from the fire.

Paul, who said he was at the batting cage at the time of the fire, told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that he heard as many as 50 shots and described what he believed was the shooter reloading.

Paul described a frightening scene, with shots landing near aides who had taken cover on the ground. One staffer, he said, scrambled over a fence to get away from the fire.

"You're pretty helpless," Brooks told CNN of the scene.

Brooks said the gunman had a semi-automatic rifle, while Paul described it as sounding like an AR-15.

Brooks said the gunman stood behind a dugout.

"He appeared to be a white male," Brooks said, adding that he only saw the gunman for a fraction of a second.

Police in Alexandria said the suspect was in custody and was not a threat.

Multiple lawmakers tweeted that their thoughts and prayers were with those impacted by the shooting.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If only those Congressmen were armed, it would have never happened!

Cotton

Staff member
If only those Congressmen were armed, it would have never happened!
Oh, there still would have been shots fired, but more than likely not as many by the crazy person.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Fuck. This is what liberal demonization of the other side leads to. Fuck liberals.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
~flush~

If Jeremy Christian was just a crazy person, so is this one.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think you can drop the "at" in the thread title. They were shot. :art

Cotton

Staff member
~flush~

If Jeremy Christian was just a crazy person, so is this one.
Jeremy Christian was charged with two counts of a hate crime. He wasn't deemed "just a crazy person". This was absolutely politically motivated, and should be dealt with as such.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I remember that when Gabby Giffords was shot, a lot of blame was placed at the feet of Sarah Palin for having a crosshair map on her website.

I can't remember if you posted crudely-designed memes in favor of that train of thought at the time, but I have no doubt you would now if it had been Democrats shot today.

Cotton

Staff member
I think you can drop the "at" in the thread title. They were shot. :art
The title says they were shot at the baseball practice. Not that they were shot at.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The title says they were shot at the baseball practice. Not that they were shot at.
My bad. I thought they were shot but I see the difference.

I wouuld swear the thread and the news article had different titles before. Must need to clean my glasses.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The shooters posting style is quite similar to Bipos

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Sorry to be that guy, but why do we have a "congressional baseball team?" You know that's taxpayer funded.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jeremy Christian was charged with two counts of a hate crime. He wasn't deemed "just a crazy person". This was absolutely politically motivated, and should be dealt with as such.
Isn't the guy dead? What else you want to do? Go after his family?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Sorry to be that guy, but why do we have a "congressional baseball team?" You know that's taxpayer funded.
It's a bipartisan game to foster good will between the parties and to benefit a charity (childhood literacy I believe), from what I understand.

Top Bottom