User Tag List

Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1270

Thread: The Outrage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Is blackie a lineage?
    The obvious answer is no. Blackness and whiteness and “races” in general should be meaningless terms. They only exist because race was something slave owners needed to justify why it was okay to own people, slaughter people, conquer people.

“Take up the White Man’s burden—

Send forth the best ye breed—

Go send your sons to exile

To serve your captives' need

To wait in heavy harness

On fluttered folk and wild—

Your new-caught, sullen peoples,

Half devil and half child“

Jim Crow laws, Eugenics, and all elements of racism is an offshoot of the religiouslessly held belief that whiteness was a thing, and it mattered, and likewise people from other continents, or Southern/Eastern Europe belonged to other groups of lesser races.

If it hadn’t been for the centuries of sustained effort to prevent black people and white people from coexisting African heritage among 5th and 6th for generation Americans would be a novelty like Italian or Russian or German heritage that many people on this board have and never consider how it defines their “race”. But since there’s always been people obsessed with “maintaining their lineage”. That’s why whites marrying blacks was illegal until 1967. (This is also mostly true of Asians as well, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see them labeled “white” in a generation or two)

Quote Originally Posted by Angrymesscan View Post
    Those who do are racists, or?
    I mean Hitler only wanted the same thing so...
    I am not 100% sure I know what you're saying here.

Hitler is always the go-to for all of these discussions. He was obviously the most extreme example because he was an evil madman.

Still, I tend to think in concepts and more globally. If you try hard enough and are motivated you can drill down to find racism in everything.

What I'm saying is that countries like Japan are very much about their race. They keep tight reigns on that for practical reasons. As a result they are highly efficient. I am not saying that we should all do that but it works for them. I try not to make overly emotional, highly judgmental judgments about how other people do things.

I am in an interracial marriage with 6 interracial kids. I have lots of friends that are the same and seem to gravitate to each other. Does that make me racist for having friends that are the same as me and have a comfort level with each other? That is way off topic..lol

Anyhoo, I am a strong believer in that it isn't really anyone's business how a family lives their lives.
    Last edited by skidadl; 05-23-2018 at 12:10 AM.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    The obvious answer is no. Blackness and whiteness and “races” in general should be meaningless terms. They only exist because race was something slave owners needed to justify why it was okay to own people, slaughter people, conquer people.

“Take up the White Man’s burden—

Send forth the best ye breed—

Go send your sons to exile

To serve your captives' need

To wait in heavy harness

On fluttered folk and wild—

Your new-caught, sullen peoples,

Half devil and half child“

Jim Crow laws, Eugenics, and all elements of racism is an offshoot of the religiouslessly held belief that whiteness was a thing, and it mattered, and likewise people from other continents, or Southern/Eastern Europe belonged to other groups of lesser races.

If it hadn’t been for the centuries of sustained effort to prevent black people and white people from coexisting African heritage among 5th and 6th for generation Americans would be a novelty like Italian or Russian or German heritage that many people on this board have and never consider how it defines their “race”. But since there’s always been people obsessed with “maintaining their lineage”. That’s why whites marrying blacks was illegal until 1967. (This is also mostly true of Asians as well, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see them labeled “white” in a generation or two)
    I love how people talk about slave-owning as if it has always been a white-black thing. People have revisionist history when it comes to this subject, as if blacks never "owned" other blacks, or that whites weren't slaves to other whites in Ireland for some time.
    Last edited by Iamtdg; 05-23-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    I am not 100% sure I know what you're saying here.

Hitler is always the go-to for all of these discussions. He was obviously the most extreme example because he was an evil madman.

Still, I tend to think in concepts and more globally. If you try hard enough and are motivated you can drill down to find racism in everything.

What I'm saying is that countries like Japan are very much about their race. They keep tight reigns on that for practical reasons. As a result they are highly efficient. I am not saying that we should all do that but it works for them. I try not to make overly emotional, highly judgmental judgments about how other people do things.

I am in an interracial marriage with 6 interracial kids. I have lots of friends that are the same and seem to gravitate to each other. Does that make me racist for having friends that are the same as me and have a comfort level with each other? That is way off topic..lol

Anyhoo, I am a strong believer in that it isn't really anyone's business how a family lives their lives.
    What I'm saying is you don't need to be "white" to be racist, those that try to keep other races at bay are racists. I felt your example reeked of "but what about them?", which I abhor. I too am from an Interracial marriage and have grown within two very different cultures, this has also given me the opportunity to travel to many parts and interact with a lot of different people and I think race has the least to do with how a person is, it's all socioeconomic and education.
    One of the most poignant satires I've seen lately was the SNL sketch where a redneck takes part in "black Jeopardy" or something like that, how two different races consider each other polar opposites, but in reality they have much more in common than with others they consider their same (race).

Anyhoo, sorry about the rant...
    Live and let live... Chacun sa vie...
    @Rev supporter

What I'm saying is you don't need to be "white" to be racist, those that try to keep other races at bay are racists. I felt your example reeked of "but what about them?", which I abhor. I too am from an Interracial marriage and have grown within two very different cultures, this has also given me the opportunity to travel to many parts and interact with a lot of different people and I think race has the least to do with how a person is, it's all socioeconomic and education.
    One of the most poignant satires I've seen lately was the SNL sketch where a redneck takes part in "black Jeopardy" or something like that, how two different races consider each other polar opposites, but in reality they have much more in common than with others they consider their same (race).

I hear you. I try to stay away from “what about them” statements. I think it is important for folks to do their best to understand all sides of issues. I try my best to do that with others...obviously not always successful at that.

I think right now white folks are feeling on the defensive because they are having to explain that they aren’t racist at every turn. Of course most of that is a result of racism, so that’s not a complaint, it is just reality.

My situation has expanded my view if the world. Still, I am amazed at how much I do not understand about other races. I have tried hard to understand as much of what the black folks in this country go through on a daily basis. I still fight thinking “Well, touch shit, we all have barriers” mixed in with more understanding at other times. I hate racism. I also have a hard time with over emotional people who make everything dramatic. So I am fighting two sides of myself at times. I think if more people were honest they could see the same in themselves. People are more complex than what we try to narrow it down to on things like social media.

I think it has more to do with culture than it does with race. Many cultures can be found within each race. So yeah, socioeconomics and education does have a lot to do with it.

#metoo got another one
    2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion

Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    I think it has more to do with culture than it does with race. Many cultures can be found within each race. So yeah, socioeconomics and education does have a lot to do with it.
    There is only culture. There is no race.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith6919 View Post
    #metoo got another one
    Everyone just wants to belong. It's like if you don't tell some story of harassment you're an outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    There is only culture. There is no race.