Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Redskins | Week 2 | 09-18-16

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
That's a great point and that's kind of been my apprehension with him too.

I'll admit I wanted nothing to do with him in the draft, but after the way he played in the preseason, I had to readjust my thinking and admit that I could be wrong about him. With that said, I still can't help but shake the thought of him being a 4th rounder with a number of flaws. As Booze says, you keep waiting for that other shoe to drop and it really hasn't yet.

The most encouraging thing out of all the positive things he's done is the poise and accuracy, because you can't teach the former, and there's really not a lot that can be done for the latter either. IMO, he's ahead of schedule in arguably the two hardest things a QB has to acclimate himself to at the NFL level, so he's got a real chance to be something for us.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
It's just something we have to get over. He hasn't played in any way resembling a fourth-round QB.

I think the reality is the NFL still hasn't figured out how to scout QB's from these no-huddle spread offenses that are permeating college football, ESPECIALLY ones that focus on a power run game like Mississippi State did and a lot of people simply missed the boat on Dak.

If they redrafted today, it would be an argument between him and Wentz for #1.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Do you think the Patriot fans would go bonkers if their backup did well(not withstanding his injury) and Brady was installed after his suspension?
Completely different situation.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
It's just something we have to get over. He hasn't played in any way resembling a fourth-round QB.

I think the reality is the NFL still hasn't figured out how to scout QB's from these no-huddle spread offenses that are permeating college football, ESPECIALLY ones that focus on a power run game like Mississippi State did and a lot of people simply missed the boat on Dak.

If they redrafted today, it would be an argument between him and Wentz for #1.
I will be more impressed if Linehan takes the training wheels off and he still performs well.

You can only do some many fuckin roll outs and fakes. Let the kid air it out. They went and got Brice Butler....WTF for? to run crossing routes?

He supposedly runs the same 40 as Jackson. Air the shit out.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I will be more impressed if Linehan takes the training wheels off and he still performs well.

You can only do some many fuckin roll outs and fakes. Let the kid air it out. They went and got Brice Butler....WTF for? to run crossing routes?

He supposedly runs the same 40 as Jackson. Air the shit out.
Right.

What he's doing now is great, but he can't live off of this forever. We've seen many rookie QB's have great rookie seasons in a scaled back offense only to see them regress in year two when the training wheels came off.

To be fair to him, we probably won't see him excel with the more complicated, down the field passing schemes until year two, but you want to at least see him do some more conventional 3 and 4 read passing stuff as the season moves on.

If he starts doing that well, then the sky's the limit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Right.

What he's doing now is great, but he can't live off of this forever. We've seen many rookie QB's have great rookie seasons in a scaled back offense only to see them regress in year two when the training wheels came off.

To be fair to him, we probably won't see him excel with the more complicated, down the field passing schemes until year two, but you want to at least see him do some more conventional 3 and 4 read passing stuff as the season moves on.

Prescott is making multiple reads, he's just not airing it out downfield. He definitely isn't asked to do as much as Romo is but this isn't 2003 Quincy Carter reading half the field here, he's going through progressions and making multiple reads.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think showing he can hit the deep ball is about the only thing Dak has left to prove as far as basic NFL starting proficiency goes. One of the knocks on him last year was that he was focusing too much on the short passing game. I know he had the one monster pass in preseason, but he is going to need to stretch the field if only to give the run game some room. Other than that I don't know what more you could ask of him at this point

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I thought his performance yesterday was very promising. Imo, his best play was the 3rd and long when we were trying to run out the clock. Play action naked bootleg where he could either pass to a wide open receiver or run it. When the skins had two blitzers crashing that side, instead of panicking, he made a savvy veteran decision. I expected him to throw up a prayer which more than likely would have fell incomplete stopping the clock and saving their last time out. Or worse, be intercepted. Instead, he juked the blitzers and got a couple yards before sliding, forcing them to use their last time out. That play was beautiful, and showed that he has a firm grasp on game situations and what needs to be done.
He seems to have the football IQ to make up for Garrett and his lack of such.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Right.

He is doing that now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Completely different situation.
Maybe but there are some similarities. Both are high dollar starters with good playing records. The reasons for the off time is different but does the fans care why they couldn't play? Both are proven reliable quarterbacks that can find ways to win. The obvious difference is one is prone to injury.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Maybe but there are some similarities. Both are high dollar starters with good playing records. The reasons for the off time is different but does the fans care why they couldn't play? Both are proven reliable quarterbacks that can find ways to win. The obvious difference is one is prone to injury.
And Superbowls won.:shrug

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And Superbowls won.:shrug
That wasn't purported either. The exercise is about fan reaction if Romo returns. I am in the heart of Cowboys country and I have heard a lot of them indicate they want Romo to return.

I merely extended the question to whether the Patriot fans would be a mixed bag as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think showing he can hit the deep ball is about the only thing Dak has left to prove as far as basic NFL starting proficiency goes. One of the knocks on him last year was that he was focusing too much on the short passing game. I know he had the one monster pass in preseason, but he is going to need to stretch the field if only to give the run game some room. Other than that I don't know what more you could ask of him at this point
Dak hit on more then just one deep ball in preseason but so far that is my only criticism of him during the first two games. We haven't really hit a back breaking deep play yet. And part of that may just be our coaches holding him back.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That wasn't purported either. The exercise is about fan reaction if Romo returns. I am in the heart of Cowboys country and I have heard a lot of them indicate they want Romo to return.

I merely extended the question to whether the Patriot fans would be a mixed bag as well.
I think having won that many Superbowls would raise the level of fan loyalty.

I don't think those 8-8 years and coming up small in season ending games put them on the same level to any fan.

But that's just me.

data

Forbes #1
It took NFL defenses an entire season to decode Kaep and RGIII. We need to see as much of Dak as we can.

I'll be damned if we enter 2017 Draft and pass up a blue chip QB prospect, only to see Dak get cut in 2019.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It took NFL defenses an entire season to decode Kaep and RGIII. We need to see as much of Dak as we can.

I'll be damned if we enter 2017 Draft and pass up a blue chip QB prospect, only to see Dak get cut in 2019.
Isn't that an issue with all QBs though? Kaep probably had more to do with Harbaugh then anything. That's why he looked good for like 3 years before he badly regressed and fell apart.

RGIII is as much injuries and attitude that took him out of it. The NFL stands for "not for long" for a reason. You can't ever count on these guys from one year to the next it seems.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It took NFL defenses an entire season to decode Kaep and RGIII.
That was kind of a perfect storm, their arriving at the same time the pistol offense hit the NFL.

Thing is Dak has been making plays regardless of formation. Most impressive has been his poise on 3rd and long when the fake of a run is meaningless.

Top Bottom