Ex-NFL exec: Cowboys shouldn't hesitate to draft a QB in first round

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Apart from Rodgers, what QBs have we passed on that would have turned into anything? I know passing on Manziel was probably the best thing we ever did. Unless we have a QB draft as deep as 2004 again, I don't know if.a quality QB ever makes it to Dallas's pick.
Quality QBs can be found without having to look in the first round. Scout schools that run pro style offenses.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Connor Cook is widely known as a top 10 talent right now. That's why I named him.
Neither McShay or Kiper or CBS sports has him rated as top 10 and other people seem to be projecting him to teams because of QB need.

He just screams of a guy that drops leading up to the draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we are out of playoff contention by the time Romo is ready to come back do you leave him on the IR and hope to get a better pick? It'd be tempting
We tried that the last time Romo broke his collarbone.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's also 3 games into his true sophomore season and already shows traits that are rare for college QB's in terms of pressing up in the pocket and showing a knack for avoiding the rush while still looking to make plays downfield, not to mention a very strong arm and good size.

Still early, but we'll see.
Yeah he looks the part mechanically but something just seems to be missing so far, but he is young so he has time to grow.

Now that Rozen kid.:towel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The position itself is dying. Look at how many busts there have been in recent years. Taking a guy early isn't the tonic. I do think they need to take one next year at some point. It is time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The position itself is dying. Look at how many busts there have been in recent years. Taking a guy early isn't the tonic. I do think they need to take one next year at some point. It is time.
I agree. There seems to be more high round draft busts than any other position.

townsend

Banned
If I wanted to bring up a QB from scratch I'd beg Martz to come out of retirement as offensive coordinator . The guy has done more with less at QB than anyone ever.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If I wanted to bring up a QB from scratch I'd beg Martz to come out of retirement as offensive coordinator . The guy has done more with less at QB than anyone ever.
I wouldn't hire him as a coach but I might give him a consultant engagement for the job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ever is a strong word.

But I agree to the principle.

Although I amend that, the OC has a lot of responsibility. They can't baby a QB. That is why you have a dedicated QB coach.

We need a real QB coach. Yes, a real one. Not Jerry's dick pill supplier.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neither McShay or Kiper or CBS sports has him rated as top 10 and other people seem to be projecting him to teams because of QB need.

He just screams of a guy that drops leading up to the draft.
To be fair, McShay in his last mock draft has him going number 2 in the draft. So their is clearly a difference between where he believes a QB will go and where he has the QB rated personally.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ever is a strong word.

But I agree to the principle.

Although I amend that, the OC has a lot of responsibility. They can't baby a QB. That is why you have a dedicated QB coach.

We need a real QB coach. Yes, a real one. Not Jerry's dick pill supplier.
Yeah I'd pay big money for the best on the market when I draft a QB highly. Even if you don't dislike Wade Wilson I've seen no evidence to suggest he is a QB guru.

townsend

Banned
Yeah I'd pay big money for the best on the market when I draft a QB highly. Even if you don't dislike Wade Wilson I've seen no evidence to suggest he is a QB guru.
I'd think it's fair to say there's extensive evidence to the contrary.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wait, what?

There is extensive evidence to suggest Wilson is a QB guru?
Surely he is not being serious. Or he saying something else.

townsend

Banned
Wait, what?

There is extensive evidence to suggest Wilson is a QB guru?
i may have worded that poorly. I meant there was extensive proof that he was NOT a QB guru.

Because Crock said there's no evidence to prove that he IS. I was saying there is abundant proof that he ISN'T.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Both Smith and Clausen were highly rated going into their last year.

Did you miss the point?
The point is that QBs can rise and fall regardless of where they were rated the year before. Ponder and Manuel were late risers, while some fall.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't want Martz as a play caller. That guy got figured out pretty hard and never had the flexibility his daddy Vermiel had to reinvent and adjust his offense. Considering Martz is out of a job, if he wants to replace Wade Wilson I jump all over that idea.

Top Bottom