Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Could be. I haven't looked at the judicial decision. Kinda makes one wonder if the league needs a commissioner to hand down penalties if the judicial system i$ going to have the last word.
Because federal laws govern union/collective bargaining situations. If it was written down (ie, if the players association and the league put in writing what the penalties would be for domestic abuse), then I think the judge would allow that. But in the absence of an express agreement, federal law says the owners can't punish the union members arbitrarily (I'm paraphrasing).

And the judge says, Well, there's no precedent of a four game suspension for ball tampering, so there is nothing to support this, you can't just make it up on the spot when you punished other people for similar violations less in the past.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because federal laws govern union/collective bargaining situations. If it was written down (ie, if the players association and the league put in writing what the penalties would be for domestic abuse), then I think the judge would allow that. But in the absence of an express agreement, federal law says the owners can't punish the union members arbitrarily (I'm paraphrasing).

And the judge says, Well, there's no precedent of a four game suspension for ball tampering, so there is nothing to support this, you can't just make it up on the spot when you punished other people for similar violations less in the past.
To make it simple for those that don't speak Schmitty or lawyer-ese...

He's basically saying Goodell can't be a dictator and not be consistent in how punishment is doled out.

This judge stood firm to the Constitution.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Thank you.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
To make it simple for those that don't speak Schmitty or lawyer-ese...

He's basically saying Goodell can't be a dictator and not be consistent in how punishment is doled out.

This judge stood firm to the Constitution.
:lol

Cotton

Staff member
~rolling up sleeve~

What's funny? Huh? I amuse you? Wha...I am a clown? What's so funny?
Yes. You're funny. And, you are hear to amuse me. Dance, clownboi, dance!

Cotton

Staff member
Sonofa...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I watched that Deep Blue documentary series, the second part of the Quincy/Romo one.

I don't think I ever knew, in 2008 when Parcells was in Miami he tried to sign Quincy Carter again. Brought him in for a workout, said in the documentary he looked good in the workout as well. But he was still on marijuana all the time and he could tell.

What a shame.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I watched that Deep Blue documentary series, the second part of the Quincy/Romo one.

I don't think I ever knew, in 2008 when Parcells was in Miami he tried to sign Quincy Carter again. Brought him in for a workout, said in the documentary he looked good in the workout as well. But he was still on marijuana all the time and he could tell.

What a shame.
I don't think Quincy was as bad as some poeple make him out to be. It doesn't mean I think he was good but he was definitely out there throwing more TDs then INTs which is more then some starting NFL QBs can say. I think the reason he disappeared off the face of the planet so quickly had far more to do with drugs and off the field stuff. Your QB is the leader of the team and no coach wants his leader to set that type of an example.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think Quincy was as bad as some poeple make him out to be. It doesn't mean I think he was good but he was definitely out there throwing more TDs then INTs which is more then some starting NFL QBs can say. I think the reason he disappeared off the face of the planet so quickly had far more to do with drugs and off the field stuff. Your QB is the leader of the team and no coach wants his leader to set that type of an example.
The backlash was how they traded two third round picks to move up and get him and then dumped Tony Banks in favor of making Carter a day one starter as a rookie. In the press conference you could see Jerry Jones hands manipulating Dave Campo's puppet strings.

Carter could not properly grip the ball at the time. But had they brought him along like a normal team would have, Carter might have become something. He proved to be worth the draft picks, especially when factoring Jerry's history of wasting 3rd round picks.

sbk92 unloading on Carter's slow style of speech didn't help the man much on forum boards either :).

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It was also interesting... They were talking about when he was cut from Dallas, he was upset because Vinny Testaverde was brought in, he admitted it in the documentary. Shortly before he was cut, Parcells held Quincy out of a scrimmage to give the newer players some work. The next day in the film room Quincy put his head down and wouldn't watch film or respond to coaches... That was when Parcells knew he was flaking out and wasn't going to be able to handle it. The next morning at like 5 am, Quincy hears a knock at the door. Thinks it is some girl, expects he is gonna get laid before practice... Instead it was the Turk. :lol

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

I don't think I ever knew, in 2008 when Parcells was in Miami he tried to sign Quincy Carter again.
What the hell, Bill?

dallen

Senior Tech
The backlash was how they traded two third round picks to move up and get him and then dumped Tony Banks in favor of making Carter a day one starter as a rookie. In the press conference you could see Jerry Jones hands manipulating Dave Campo's puppet strings.

Carter could not properly grip the ball at the time. But had they brought him along like a normal team would have, Carter might have become something. He proved to be worth the draft picks, especially when factoring Jerry's history of wasting 3rd round picks.

sbk92 unloading on Carter's slow style of speech didn't help the man much on forum boards either :).
I always thought Carter was OK. Most of his problems seemed to be mental. He certainly wasn't the worst starting QB we had in the 2000's

dallen

Senior Tech
Darnell Dockett was cut today. I'm sure we wouldn't be interested

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Darnell Dockett was cut today. I'm sure we wouldn't be interested
Old guy who has been tossed aside a couple times now. To me these guys usually have some sort of serious physical concern that maybe we aren't hearing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom