Tyron

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends on who's available. I never like the idea of passing on a superior player for the sake of filling a need
This is how you end up with a TE in the second round every year that you never use. Fasano is a starting NFL TE. Bennett is looking like a great NFL TE. Yet neither guy could do shit here in Dallas. The talent evaluation wasn't the problem, it was the position of the player relative to our need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We need to go DL/LB in the first 4 rounds...also think about a QB. I am not against taking BPA, but you have to measure BPA vs needs sometimes.
I'd say DL/LBer/Safety. In general we just need to load up on defense. Preferably I'd get an elite edge rusher in that group.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
This is how you end up with a TE in the second round every year that you never use. Fasano is a starting NFL TE. Bennett is looking like a great NFL TE. Yet neither guy could do shit here in Dallas. The talent evaluation wasn't the problem, it was the position of the player relative to our need.
Boy, I'm sure glad you read the rest of my post where it said you need to rate the position of need to the BPA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boy, I'm sure glad you read the rest of my post where it said you need to rate the position of need to the BPA.
And if a TE is clearly the BPA according to all your statements in that post, you should take him. I didn't miss anything.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And if a TE is clearly the BPA according to all your statements in that post, you should take him. I didn't miss anything.
Uh, yeah you did.

Plan9Misfit said:
It depends on who's available. I never like the idea of passing on a superior player for the sake of filling a need because it allows another team to get better at our expense, but it depends on how we rate the player at the need position against the BPA. If they're rated relatively equally, then you can get away with going after the need. But if the drop-off is substantial, then you fuck yourself in value and production.
You kinda missed the entire point. The point is that it depends on how the player at a need position rates against the BPA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uh, yeah you did.

You kinda missed the entire point. The point is that it depends on how the player at a need position rates against the BPA.
No you're saying that position should be a tie breaker. I'm saying your an idiot if you take a TE with Witten on your roster even if it is the best player available by some sort of a significant margin. If BPA is at a stupid position that you don't need you should trade down. Don't just take a position because it is BPA, even if it is by a significant margin. At least not in the first few rounds. Rounds 4 and on is different. At that point if you can get a talented player, get him. Position shouldn't matter much at that point.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you take a tackle or guard, they will find a starting spot on this line relatively soon. The Witten analogy isn't really relevant.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If you take a tackle or guard, they will find a starting spot on this line relatively soon. The Witten analogy isn't really relevant.
Not if you extend Free and Leary stays healthy. If you take a DE or DT they will start immediately. Not saying ignore it, but the OL is a strength right now, while the DL is a glaring hole.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not if you extend Free and Leary stays healthy. If you take a DE or DT they will start immediately. Not saying ignore it, but the OL is a strength right now, while the DL is a glaring hole.
I think another Martin or Tyron type talent would be starting over Free relatively quickly. Not like Witten where the position is on lockdown.

But yeah, it's not the need it once was. Still, if Trai Turner is there in the fourth, I'd take him without worrying.

You don't have to talk me into making QB or DL the priority though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Also wouldn't mind trading down and getting extra picks we can start rolling over into future years.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have a boner for Kevin Hogan.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We are ok with the OL pieces we have right now. Any replacement pieces need to be found in the middle to later rounds. We can't afford to keep a line together that's built with all first and second rounders. Finding the money to keep three first rounders on the Oline will prove difficult enough.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't referring specifically to the O-line. My post was directly in response to a post about BPA. I'm also not so sure a guard would be starting any time soon. We have 3 really good guards on the roster right now. Tackle would be the case since Free's contract is up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think another Martin or Tyron type talent would be starting over Free relatively quickly. Not like Witten where the position is on lockdown.

But yeah, it's not the need it once was. Still, if Trai Turner is there in the fourth, I'd take him without worrying.

Once you get to the fourth round just get whatever talent you can in my opinion. If you're counting on a fourth or fifth round pick to fill a need you are seriously in trouble. Instead just get the best players available and hope they pan out because most of them won't.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If we can draft Trai Turner in the 4th that would be a neat trick because he went in the 3rd this year.

Jiggyfly

Banned

You sound as if that type of talent is found rather easily.

We have been extremely lucky that each of these 1st round picks has been plug and play, there are plenty of 1st round picks that have struggled. Its not a given the guy we draft to replace whatever position on this line will be an upgrade.

Decastro is a prime example as well as the other lineman Pittsburgh drafted that year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We are ok with the OL pieces we have right now. Any replacement pieces need to be found in the middle to later rounds. We can't afford to keep a line together that's built with all first and second rounders. Finding the money to keep three first rounders on the Oline will prove difficult enough.
Agreed. While it is nice to keep stockpiling number ones on top of number ones, there will come a time where a bust is welcome because you cannot pay five guys top dollar. You are going to have to back off eventually.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Also wouldn't mind trading down and getting extra picks we can start rolling over into future years.
Easier said than done. When we trade down, we do it underestimating the value of targets and get caught with our pants down.

Has happened over and over in the Jerry era.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Decastro is a prime example as well as the other lineman Pittsburgh drafted that year.
Both true.

I think we have Callahan to thank in addition to the raw talent. He really knows how to teach this zone-blocking scheme. Lord knows we've seen others try the same scheme and fail in Dallas over the years.

Martin and Frederick's intelligence has clearly made a difference, and Witten has been getting into the act. They're seeing it work and competing with each other and working harder to get it done. That's how it's supposed to happen.

At least so far

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Both true.

I think we have Callahan to thank in addition to the raw talent. He really knows how to teach this zone-blocking scheme. Lord knows we've seen others try the same scheme and fail in Dallas over the years.

Martin and Frederick's intelligence has clearly made a difference, and Witten has been getting into the act. They're seeing it work and competing with each other and working harder to get it done. That's how it's supposed to happen.

At least so far
I also think Frank Pollack is a good coach. He knows the Gibbs ZBS and it has been successful everywhere he has been. I would have no problem promoting him after Face Twitch moves on after this season.

Top Bottom