Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not following where you are headed with this. Sounds like you're agreeing with Cuban, which I also agree with. Everyone is a little racist. Just depends on who you believe when they define racism. It varies by person. Sure there are universally accepted standards, but what you think is racist, someone else may not.
In short I am agreeing with you.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
His comments are just not needed at this time...when it's dark and he sees a black guy in a hoodie he is scared? Feh. Fuck him.
At least he said he would run instead of "standing his ground".

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I say out with hall monitors. :art. Within reason of course.
I definitely agree with that. People are so damn sensitive nowadays that the truth literally does hurt. No one is truly color blind. It's better to accept that fact and move on than try to fool ourselves with the blanketed fantasy a lot of people project in today's world.

Cotton

Staff member
And as far as him saying that he is scared about a black kid in a hoodie, he also said that he is scared by a white guy with lots of tattoos. Racist against blacks and whites, I guess.

Carp

DCC 4Life
And as far as him saying that he is scared about a black kid in a hoodie, he also said that he is scared by a white guy with lots of tattoos. Racist against blacks and whites, I guess.
Just was stupid for him to open his mouth to begin with...it's almost like he is making an excuse to keep Sterling around. Just a dumb time for him to say shit like this...he is an attention whore though.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
On another front I watched the Sterling "girlfriend" being interviewed by Dr.Phil yesterday and she denies being anything but an employee who wasn't on the payroll but instead was given gifts to support her livelihood. She called herself a personal assistant and received two Bentleys , a Ferrari, and a million dollar condo. In addition she said she gave the tape to a friend who copied it and sold it. Very credible huh?
Not sure what her credibility has to do with anything. He said the words. They are on tape.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think a group of tatted up or otherwise ghetto looking kids of any ethnicity would make me nervous. I really wouldn't think twice about one. One guy by himself is probably just going about his business. A gang would be more likely to want to start a fight or beat someone up for fun.

Cotton

Staff member
Just was stupid for him to open his mouth to begin with...it's almost like he is making an excuse to keep Sterling around. Just a dumb time for him to say shit like this...he is an attention whore though.
I will not disagree with this.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Agreed. To turn this into the whole "the world is too dadgum sensitive!" yet again is silly. He just should have kept his trap shut.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Billionaire Mark Cuban talked about everything from Donald Sterling to his own prejudices at Inc. Magazine's GrowCo conference in Nashville, Tennessee, this week.

When asked if the NBA should ban Clippers owner Donald Sterling for his racist recorded comments, the Dallas Mavericks owner said, "I think [NBA Commissioner] Adam [Silver] had to do it. There's a lot at stake for the NBA--it has to be a leader in the culture… but it's a slippery slope."

"You can't keep that ugliness out of the league. There's no law against stupid--I learned that a long time ago," Cuban said on Wednesday during the on-stage interview.

Here are some more choice quotes from Cuban's interview:

What bothers him the most:

"The thing that scares me about this whole thing is I don't want to be a hypocrite and I think I might have to be," Cuban said, likely referring to the expected vote by the NBA owners to expel Donald Sterling. "Being a hypocrite bothers me more than anything, after my family, so it won't be fun."

When asked how Cuban would be a hypocrite, the NBA owner said, "Well, I just sat here and said I'm a bigot."

"I think we're all bigots and I don't think there's any question about that," Cuban said.

Read More: Donald Sterling Vote Set for June 3

More about admitting his own prejudices:

"I know I'm prejudiced and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways," he said.

"There's a part of me that always takes into account race, gender and age..." he said, adding that he tries to catch his prejudices.

"If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it's late at night, I'm walking to the other side of the street. And if on that side of the street, there's a guy that has tattoos all over his face--white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere--I'm walking back to the other side of the street," he says.

Cuban tweeted an apology to the parents of Trayvon Martin, whose hoodie photograph has been widely distributed since he was shot on Feb. 26, 2012.

"In hindsight I should have used different examples. I didn't consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that," said Cuban in one of his many tweets today.

"I know that I'm not perfect," he said in the interview Wednesday. "While we all have our prejudices and bigotries, we have to learn that it's an issue that we have to control, that it's part of my responsibility as an entrepreneur to try to solve it, not just to kick the problem down the road."

"People expect them to be the same off camera. Kevin [O'Leary] is a jerk on camera, but he's an even bigger jerk off camera. He has his own way of doing business… There's a lot of tension on air… after 10 hour days and 10 days of shooting, you really feel like you want to knock this motherf***** out."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The socially conscious fucked up PC police are now labeling Cuban as racist too.

OMG nobody is prejudiced. Never. Ever. ~Berman voice~

Anyone who says they are just not prone to bigotry or prejudice is just a fucking outright liar.

Carp

DCC 4Life
For me...I am not saying he is racist, but this does nothing good. He just wanted people to know he was there. He knew what he was doing and can't act surprised if there is backlash.

Cotton

Staff member
The socially conscious fucked up PC police are now labeling Cuban as racist too.

OMG nobody is prejudiced. Never. Ever. ~Berman voice~

Anyone who says they are just not prone to bigotry or prejudice is just a fucking outright liar.
Correct, which was his point, and the one that I agree with. To label him a racist for saying it or to call for discipline is stupid, to me.

Cotton

Staff member
For me...I am not saying he is racist, but this does nothing good. He just wanted people to know he was there. He knew what he was doing and can't act surprised if there is backlash.
May be, but his point is a very good one regardless of him possibly seeking attention. It's one that most people won't broach for fear of being labeled racist, even though it's a very distinct fact.

Cotton

Staff member

This is the one thing (outside of having to be in the limelight all the time) that was in bad taste in my mind. He could have used a different scenario than hoodie.

Cotton

Staff member
Mark Cuban apologizes to Trayvon Martin family for his prejudice analogy

Associated Press
Published: 22 May 2014 03:44 PM
Updated: 22 May 2014 05:20 PM

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban apologized Thursday to Trayvon Martin’s family over his choice of words in a videotaped interview in which he addressed bigotry and prejudice.

Cuban even revealed some of his own prejudices in the interview with Inc. magazine, and said he believes everyone has “prejudices and bigotries” on some level. But after his words — which came with the NBA still dealing with the fallout over racist remarks made by now-banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling — created a stir in social media and other circles, Cuban took to Twitter to offer his apology.

“In hindsight I should have used different examples,” Cuban wrote. “I didn’t consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that.”
Cuban also said he stands by the substance of the interview.

Martin was the black Florida teen who was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in February 2012. Martin was wearing a hooded sweatshirt — commonly called a “hoodie” — that night, and that particular piece of clothing became a rallying cry for those who demanded justice.
Zimmerman was eventually acquitted.

“We’re all prejudiced in one way or the other,” Cuban said in the Inc. interview. “If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it’s late at night, I’m walking to the other side of the street. And if on that side of the street, there’s a guy that has tattoos all over his face — white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere — I’m walking back to the other side of the street. And the list goes on of stereotypes that we all live up to and are fearful of.”

When shown that excerpt of the interview Thursday, Chris Bosh of the Miami Heat cringed.

“It’s just a sensitive time,” Bosh said.

Cuban has not revealed how he will vote on June 3, when NBA owners are scheduled to cast ballots on a motion to oust Sterling and force him to sell the Clippers. Cuban has called the comments made by Sterling “abhorrent,” adding that there is “no place for racism in the NBA, any business I’m associated with.”
Cuban has, however, cautioned that the Sterling matter is a “very slippery slope.”

“While we all have our prejudices and bigotries, we have to learn that it’s an issue that we have to control,” Cuban told Inc. “It’s part of my responsibility as an entrepreneur to try to solve it, not just to kick the problem down the road because it does my company no good, does my customers no good, does society no good if my response to somebody and their racism or bigotry is to say ‘It’s not right for you to be here, go take your attitude somewhere else.“’

Cuban also told Inc. that he knows he is not perfect, and that “it’s not appropriate for me to throw stones.” The magazine has a 2 1/2 -minute clip of Cuban speaking about the topics on its web site, along with about an hourlong appearance — with the Mavs owner discussing many matters — at its Growco Conference in Nashville on Wednesday.

“We’re a lot less tolerant of different views and it’s not necessarily easy for everybody to adopt or adapt or evolve,” Cuban said.

Carp

DCC 4Life
May be, but his point is a very good one regardless of him possibly seeking attention. It's one that most people won't broach for fear of being labeled racist, even though it's a very distinct fact.
I don't need Cuban to clear the air for me...not a good look for him or the NBA. His analogies were poor too. He is just an everyman...a billionaire everyman.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't need Cuban to clear the air for me...not a good look for him or the NBA. His analogies were poor too. He is just an everyman...a billionaire everyman.
Cool. So don't listen to him if you don't need his advice on life. The point remains it was a very good point. One that a ton of people do need to hear.

Top Bottom