Kavner: Clabo Deal Could Get Ball Rolling On Free Decision

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Cutting him would've saved money this year but wouldn't it be accelerated into next year's cap? Then we'd be on the books for Clabo and Free. Looking at our committed money for 2014, I think it's easy to see why we aren't signing anybody. It will be even worse the next 2 or 3 years if we keep deluding ourselves that we're on the cusp of competing for a championship. We need a purging of bad contracts/old players, soon. Maybe Bill Parcells will get divorced again.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ex-Cowboys scout: How Dallas could keep Doug Free and sign Eric Winston

Staff reports

After picking just one linemen during last month's NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys are still trying to cobble together an offensive line competent enough to protect Tony Romo, their $108-million man at quarterback.

For now, the biggest question seems to be at right tackle, where six-year veteran Doug Free struggled mightily last season. If Free doesn't take a pay cut, the Cowboys are almost certain to cut him loose, but while the team awaits resolution, the few remaining options on the free agent market are getting scooped up.

Free agent tackle Tyson Clabo signed with the Dolphins over the weekend, leaving Eric Winston as the only prominent free agent tackle left available. But former Cowboys scout Glenn "Stretch" Smith recently told 103.3 KESN-FM that Clabo's deal may have been irrelevant to the Cowboys because they simply didn't like him.

"What I’m hearing out there is that they really didn’t want Tyson Clabo," Smith said. "A lot of people had him as the highest-rated tackle. The people at Valley Ranch think Eric Winston is the more athletic of the two tackles that were available through free agency."

Smith told, who worked for the Cowboys during the Chan Gailey and Dave Campo eras, told the station that Cowboys personnel thought Clabo wore down during the end of his last season with Atlanta and that he looked "old" and "slow." The team liked Winston better as a result, and Winston's Texas roots make him a good fit for Dallas.

"He’s a kid from Midland, Texas. I think he wants to be a Cowboy," Smith said. "Now, it just becomes a question of dollars and cents with will Doug Free take and accept a pay cut?"

But even if Free agrees to reduce his salary to stay with the Cowboys, Smith said the team could still find a way to fit Winston into the fold by moving Free inside to guard. Free's lack of lateral speed wouldn't be as much of a problem on the interior line, but some have wondered if his height would be a hindrance for Free while trying to drive block defensive tackles in the running game.

Smith doesn't have those concerns.

"The difference with him being 6’8” is he’s not a long, lower-body kid. When you get in trouble inside at 6'8" is when you can’t sit and you can’t anchor," Smith said. "When you’re real low and guys can pick you up and get up under your pads and you can’t play with that leverage, Doug Free is not that way. He’s kind of like [Jonathan] Ogden used to be. He’s a 6'8" kid, but he’s not all legs, and he can anchor a little bit inside. I don’t think this would be a give-up situation at all to move him to guard."

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Cutting him would've saved money this year but wouldn't it be accelerated into next year's cap? Then we'd be on the books for Clabo and Free. Looking at our committed money for 2014, I think it's easy to see why we aren't signing anybody. It will be even worse the next 2 or 3 years if we keep deluding ourselves that we're on the cusp of competing for a championship. We need a purging of bad contracts/old players, soon. Maybe Bill Parcells will get divorced again.
Cutting him after June 1 allows the team to split the money against both the 2013 and 2014 caps to allow for cap relief this year. The dead money next year would've been roughly $3M.

And, knowing that we'd be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for anything given the lack of youth on o-line and d-line only supports how stupid Romo's extension was. He'll be on the cusp of retirement when this team will be ready to compete, and we'll be left with a void at QB yet again because our front office is too stupid to draft a guy and groom him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Free agent tackle Tyson Clabo signed with the Dolphins over the weekend, leaving Eric Winston as the only prominent free agent tackle left available. But former Cowboys scout Glenn "Stretch" Smith recently told 103.3 KESN-FM that Clabo's deal may have been irrelevant to the Cowboys because they simply didn't like him.

"What I’m hearing out there is that they really didn’t want Tyson Clabo," Smith said. "A lot of people had him as the highest-rated tackle. The people at Valley Ranch think Eric Winston is the more athletic of the two tackles that were available through free agency."

:picard

How come before Clabo signed we kept hearing that they liked Clabo better? And how they didn't view Winston as an upgrade?

How convenient, now they liked Winston better all along?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
June 1st is a ways away.
Interesting, I thought you could designate people as June 1st cut before that and this would allow you to cut Free and sign Winston now. However:

The only other issue in regards to dead money from the prorated bonus is the timing of the release or trade of the player. It if occurs after June 1 the league will only allow you to take a dead cap hit of the prorated money from that particular season, meaning $5 million in the example above. The balance is then charged to the following year, in the example $11 million in 2016. You can also designate a player a June 1 cut prior to June 1. In this case you will maintain the full cap charge for the player, even though he has been released, until June 1 at which point just the prorated money for the year remains with the balance being charged to the following league year. This is done to allow you to avoid guarantees or roster and workout bonus money that you might be obligated to pay if the player actually remains on the roster until June 1. But in terms of helping with free agency it really does not give you any benefit due to the benefit coming long after players are signed.​

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting, I thought you could designate people as June 1st cut before that and this would allow you to cut Free and sign Winston now. However:
The only other issue in regards to dead money from the prorated bonus is the timing of the release or trade of the player. It if occurs after June 1 the league will only allow you to take a dead cap hit of the prorated money from that particular season, meaning $5 million in the example above. The balance is then charged to the following year, in the example $11 million in 2016. You can also designate a player a June 1 cut prior to June 1. In this case you will maintain the full cap charge for the player, even though he has been released, until June 1 at which point just the prorated money for the year remains with the balance being charged to the following league year. This is done to allow you to avoid guarantees or roster and workout bonus money that you might be obligated to pay if the player actually remains on the roster until June 1. But in terms of helping with free agency it really does not give you any benefit due to the benefit coming long after players are signed.​
I was alluding to the idea they will drag this out until the bitter end, mainly because they really don't know what they want to do. They want Free to take the cut, but they don't really have a plan if he doesn't. I am still not convinced they are prepared to simply cut him.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I was alluding to the idea they will drag this out until the bitter end, mainly because they really don't know what they want to do. They want Free to take the cut, but they don't really have a plan if he doesn't. I am still not convinced they are prepared to simply cut him.
I think they will cut him and sign Winston. They just have to wait 3 weeks to do it. I'm sure that's why Winston hasn't already signed with anyone. Waiting for the June 1st cuts and then he might have more suitors. I suspect he does want to come here, but obviously it will be about the money.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think they will cut him and sign Winston. They just have to wait 3 weeks to do it. I'm sure that's why Winston hasn't already signed with anyone. Waiting for the June 1st cuts and then he might have more suitors. I suspect he does want to come here, but obviously it will be about the money.
Winston would take whatever deal he could have got by now. He's visited Miami, who passed and also Tennessee, who viewed him as backup insurance in case David Stewart's knee is still a problem. He is a pretty vocal guy and already put it out there how much money he wants and it is too much.

But hey, we like are planning this thing out perfectly. We get the best tackle on the market and he wants to play here too! :dunce

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Winston would take whatever deal he could have got by now. He's visited Miami, who passed and also Tennessee, who viewed him as backup insurance in case David Stewart's knee is still a problem. He is a pretty vocal guy and already put it out there how much money he wants and it is too much.

But hey, we like are planning this thing out perfectly. We get the best tackle on the market and he wants to play here too! :dunce
I'm not sure planning has anything to do with it. We're stuck with Free until June 1st. We can't sign anyone until we axe him (unless we free up money elsewhere).

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Cutting him after June 1 allows the team to split the money against both the 2013 and 2014 caps to allow for cap relief this year. The dead money next year would've been roughly $3M.

And, knowing that we'd be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for anything given the lack of youth on o-line and d-line only supports how stupid Romo's extension was. He'll be on the cusp of retirement when this team will be ready to compete, and we'll be left with a void at QB yet again because our front office is too stupid to draft a guy and groom him.

This was in another thread:

Cutting him either after June 1 (or cutting him now with their one remaining post-June 1 designation for the year) would prevent future bonus allocations from hitting the current cap. Still, the Cowboys would carry $7.08 million in dead money on their 2014 cap, if Free is cut loose.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 3m
Doug Free played dumb about pay cut proposal at Cowboys charity HR derby. "I don't know anything about that." Danced around follow-ups.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 3m
Doug Free played dumb about pay cut proposal at Cowboys charity HR derby. "I don't know anything about that." Danced around follow-ups.
Translation: I am fricking Jerry in the ass and make him humble. [/Iron Sheik]

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Doug Free: Nothing to talk about
May, 8, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Starting right tackle Doug Free said there was nothing to talk about concerning his future with the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday.

The Cowboys have expressed an interest in keeping their starting right tackle, who struggled at times in 2012. Or they could release Free and save $7 million on the salary cap. Another option would be to offer him a pay cut to remain with the team.

"Really nothing to talk about, right now," Free said after participating in a charity home run derby at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. "A lot going on.

"I'm just happy to be here ... but you never know what might happen."

The Cowboys have expressed interest in several tackles, but only Eric Winston remains on the free agent market.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Doug Free: Nothing to talk about
May, 8, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Starting right tackle Doug Free said there was nothing to talk about concerning his future with the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday.

The Cowboys have expressed an interest in keeping their starting right tackle, who struggled at times in 2012. Or they could release Free and save $7 million on the salary cap. Another option would be to offer him a pay cut to remain with the team.

"Really nothing to talk about, right now," Free said after participating in a charity home run derby at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. "A lot going on.

"I'm just happy to be here ... but you never know what might happen."

The Cowboys have expressed interest in several tackles, but only Eric Winston remains on the free agent market.
At least he's handling it the right way in the press.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on RT Doug Free: “I’d like to keep him.”

By David Moore / Reporter
DavidMooreDMN@gmail.com
5:44 pm on May 10, 2013 |

Negotiations continue as the Cowboys and Doug Free try to arrive at a figure both sides find acceptable.

When asked if a resolution is close, Jerry Jones had this response:

“It takes two,” the Cowboys owner said. “I can’t gauge closeness. I know we’re still talking and hopefully trying to get something done.”

Free is slotted for a base salary of $7 million in 2013, making him the league’s highest paid right tackle. The Cowboys want a dramatic reduction given Free’s performance over the last two seasons.

“I’d like to keep him,” Jones said. “We think that Doug Free can be an important part of the team. We think he can really be an asset for us.”

At the right price. The two sides have yet to find that price.

“It’s no secret that we’re trying to renegotiate the contract,” Jones said. “But I think it’s a wrong assessment to say that anybody is saying take it or leave it or we’re at our wit’s end.

“That would imply frustration. That would imply that the train’s got to move on. That’s not the atmosphere around this negotiation.”
------------

This shit is getting embarrassing right now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
“It’s no secret that we’re trying to renegotiate the contract,” Jones said. “But I think it’s a wrong assessment to say that anybody is saying take it or leave it or we’re at our wit’s end.

“That would imply frustration. That would imply that the train’s got to move on. That’s not the atmosphere around this negotiation.”
:lol

In other words, they are in absolutely no rush to resolve this matter.

What a joke.

Top Bottom