Connor Williams allowed zero pressures vs. Giants, leveling up

p1_

DCC 4Life
Connor Williams allowed zero pressures vs. Giants, leveling up
By Patrik Walker

Step away from the panic button.

Now 1-1 to start the season and with an early lead in the NFC East, all hope is not lost for the Dallas Cowboys. It may have felt that way following their nauseating 16-8 opening day loss to the Carolina Panthers, and to be clear, they deserved the evisceration -- on offense mostly, though. One week later, following a CIA-style exit from Bank of America Stadium by both offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and owner Jerry Jones, the days leading up to the Week 2 battle with the New York Giants were filled with tales of a coming unpredictability by the offense, but a large part of the success would also be predicated on the legs of quarterback Dak Prescott and improved pocket protection by the offensive line.

Speaking to the latter here, the world saw two different movies between watching the season opener and Sunday Night Football, in large part to rookie left guard Connor Williams and center Joe Looney.

"I didn't do the best I wanted," Williams said after Week 1, where his NFL training wheels were on full display, via The Dallas Morning News. "Definitely learning from it, watching film, analyzing and getting better from what I can."

Williams had zero opportunity for ramp-up in his rookie debut, tasked with helping contain All-Pro interior lineman Dontari Poe and his pro bowl compatriot, Kawann Short -- a tall task for even a veteran to achieve. The former Texas star struggled with the strength of both, harkening back to a pre-draft concern by many who saw his weight as being a concern with the conversion from a collegiate tackle to an NFL guard, the latter being responsible for stopping/blocking some of the biggest players in the sport.

Not naive to this fact, the 6-foot-5, 296 lb. Williams is working to improve in that arena.

"Strength comes with time," he said. "It's not like I'm going to get super strength overnight, so it's all about technique right now and learning from my flaws. ...Moving from tackle to guard and then playing a 200-pounder to 350, it's definitely an adjustment. But it's something I can definitely learn and get better at.''

He most certainly did, by the way, not allowing a single pressure against the Giants while playing all 53 offensive snaps. One look at the following play and you'll get an instant idea of why the Cowboys were ecstatic he was available with the 50th-overall pick.

Simply put, rumors of his NFL demise after only one game were greatly exaggerated.

The other (and arguably bigger) headline on this new-look offensive line stretches across the shoulder pads of Looney, who has the unenviable job of replacing a perennial All-Pro in Travis Frederick, sidelined indefinitely with Guillain-Barre syndrome. He's stepped up in an impressive way for two games now, allowing no pressures* in the season opener and turning All-Pro defensive tackle Damon Harrison into a breakfast at IHOP, amongst the other impactful plays he made throughout the game.

For the record, Harrison is one of the best in football and also stands 6-foot-3, weighing over 355 lbs. That folks, is one very large pancake.

What will be key going forward is the mobility of Prescott, his ability to leave the pocket keeping defenses from pinning their ears back, in turn helping the offensive line play better. It's a one-hand-washing-the-other sort of thing that will be a virtual necessity if the Cowboys are serious about making the playoffs, the offense displaying a staunch bipolarity between how inept they looked in Week 1 versus the dynamic version of themselves put on display in Week 2, and it's not hard to tell what the difference was and can be going forward.

Improved play by the O-line will need to carry over to Seattle as they prep to face another talented defensive front, but it's safe to say both Looney and Williams are quickly digging their heels in as starters.

Interestingly enough, while it's the Cowboys' defense justifiably labeling themselves the Hot Boys, the offensive line is also proving the block... is hot.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
One look at the following play and you'll get an instant idea of why the Cowboys were ecstatic he was available with the 50th-overall pick.
:shrug

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is odd because I heard after last week that we should already be declaring him a bust.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This is odd because I heard after last week that we should already be declaring him a bust.
it was a nice one week turnaround. He got manhandled by Mr.Short.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
A lot of people get manhandled by Short.

It was foolish for anyone to suggest that he might be a bust after struggling in his first game as a rookie.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's the difference between playing a good run stuffing DT and playing an elite pass rushing DT. He will have his growing pains as a rookie but I'm thrilled with the progress he is making. Most game he isn't going to be facing Short or someone of that caliber. The Eagles are really the only team with a D-line in our division that scares me with him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It was foolish for anyone to suggest that he might be a bust after struggling in his first game as a rookie.
I agree. Especially when he is barely 300 pounds right now. I imagine by next year he could be up to 310 or 315 and probably take that next step from solid to really good.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Agreed. There were even rumblings during preseason. Not everybody is Zach Martin.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. There were even rumblings during preseason. Not everybody is Zach Martin.
Shoot not every rookie O-lineman is ready to start in the NFL. There is no shame for it to take a year before a guy really gets traction. It's actually pretty normal.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think there's like an anti-Texas thing where he's already been pegged as soft, especially given that he's more a mobile lineman than a mauler and he's under 300 pounds. Plus the crying at the draft, his anti-bullying crusade, and the fact that he slid from being a first rounder prior to his injury into the second round.

There is a contingent that is waiting for him to fail.

And then there is another contingent that wants him to suck so they can crow about the Eagles offensive line being better than ours, like it wants Zeke to fail so it can be right about 2.8 ypc Saquon Barkley being better than Zeke.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
One decent game. Whoopee. I don't understand how you can come out of college these days lighter than 300lbs. Kevin Gogan was 330lbs twenty years ago for God's sake. We drafted him in April. Why isn't he 315lbs already? I find it hard to get enthused about someone who can handle average DT's but not really good ones like Short or Cox.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
One decent game. Whoopee. I don't understand how you can come out of college these days lighter than 300lbs. Kevin Gogan was 330lbs twenty years ago for God's sake. We drafted him in April. Why isn't he 315lbs already? I find it hard to get enthused about someone who can handle average DT's but not really good ones like Short or Cox.
He's played 2 games, so one decent game is...decent.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
There's really a simple answer, one that I come back to often. The colleges don't produce enough players to stock 32 NFL teams with good players. Between that and free agency and salary cap concerns, there will always be churn in the roster. The problem being that some of the players who get churned into starting roles aren't as good as the players they're replacing.

Williams is a case in point. He replaced Leary, who was a question mark himself until last season, until he turned into a decent guard. But then he became unaffordable to Dallas and went to Denver.

What if Williams turns into a pretty good guard two years hence? Right about then it will be time to pay the piper. Then what? Another college player in the pipeline? Maybe, maybe not.

Every team is going to have holes in the roster. Teams don't have depth, and what good players they have are always shopping themselves to the highest bidder. You can't pay everybody. And 7 draft picks are never enough.

It's the NFL formula for enforced mediocrity.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
In all fairness, he's a rookie and yes he needs to get up to around 315. But Snacks Harrison isn't average. He's a massive, earth moving, run stuffer

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There's really a simple answer, one that I come back to often. The colleges don't produce enough players to stock 32 NFL teams with good players. Between that and free agency and salary cap concerns, there will always be churn in the roster. The problem being that some of the players who get churned into starting roles aren't as good as the players they're replacing.

Williams is a case in point. He replaced Leary, who was a question mark himself until last season, until he turned into a decent guard. But then he became unaffordable to Dallas and went to Denver.

What if Williams turns into a pretty good guard two years hence? Right about then it will be time to pay the piper. Then what? Another college player in the pipeline? Maybe, maybe not.

Every team is going to have holes in the roster. Teams don't have depth, and what good players they have are always shopping themselves to the highest bidder. You can't pay everybody. And 7 draft picks are never enough.

The NFL needs to come up with some sort of NBA-like system where you can exceed the salary cap to resign your own players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Leary wasn't on the team last year... Cooper was. Leary left the year before that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And, Leary wasn't really a question mark other than health. He was pretty good from day 1.
Yeah I really liked Leary. It's the unfortunate part of having a great O-line. It's impossible to keep all the guys together forever. So you pick the best center, guard and tackle and go from there.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think there is some misremembering on Leary. He had his ups and downs at first. He got beaten out for the starting job by La'el Collins.

It wasn't until Collins got hurt that Leary returned to the starting lineup and had a really, really good season.

Top Bottom