X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by townsend View Post
    I would say that you could describe Klansmen as extremist Christians. Who were quite capable of terrorism. I wouldnt equate mainstream Christianity with the KKK, any more than I'd equate Islam with ISIS.
    Have no idea where you are trying to go but my ticket says it the end of the line for this tour.
    Since Day One

Comment

Those damned barbaric Christians and Muslims of 700+ years ago.

The crusades were a shitty time all around. Luckily, tens of thousands of people haven't been killed under the guise of Christianity or Islam or in the name of God or Allah during modern times. Oh, wait...

Comment

I would say that you could describe Klansmen as extremist Christians. Who were quite capable of terrorism. I wouldnt equate mainstream Christianity with the KKK, any more than I'd equate Islam with ISIS.
        No one is equating Muslims with anything. They are not part of the conversation. The jist was comparing extremist Muslim terrorist with evangelicals. You went way off track.
        Since Day One

Comment

The plural of "terrorist" is "terrorists." I can't take it any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbrown View Post
            The plural of "terrorist" is "terrorists." I can't take it any longer.
            True, but even without the extra s they sound the same.
            Since Day One

Comment

Originally posted by L.T. Fan View Post
              True, but even without the extra s they sound the same.
              Well, if we're playing by Oklahoma rules, why not just spell it "terrist?"

Comment

Well, if we're playing by Oklahoma rules, why not just spell it "terrist?"
                Sounds good.
                Since Day One

Comment

Religion is one of the most human concepts. So is killing. Of course one has invaded the other.

Where we should be working is to carve out the part of us that can't help but kill people whose ideals we don't like. I find it pretty naive the idea that if we just all accept a mushy liberalism, the killing will stop. Even more ridiculous to me is the New Atheist idea that if we all just learn about Science, there will be centuries of peace.

Long story short, we can, theoretically, promote a particular way of life and even verbally condemn those who wont accept it without killing them. I doubt that we'll ever get there, but I just always feel like patting the "imagine, no religion" types on the head.

Comment

I feel like Skid would feel me on this, but I imagine he recused himself for a while after he hurt Clay's feelings so bad?

Comment

Religion is one of the most human concepts. So is killing. Of course one has invaded the other.

Where we should be working is to carve out the part of us that can't help but kill people whose ideals we don't like. I find it pretty naive the idea that if we just all accept a mushy liberalism, the killing will stop. Even more ridiculous to me is the New Atheist idea that if we all just learn about Science, there will be centuries of peace.

Long story short, we can, theoretically, promote a particular way of life and even verbally condemn those who wont accept it without killing them. I doubt that we'll ever get there, but I just always feel like patting the "imagine, no religion" types on the head.
                      I think people acting in the name of religion can achieve a level of goodness that humans can rarely achieve in the name of secular humanism. The vision of yourself as a part of a greater good, the connection to community, and the will to hold yourself to a higher moral standard can yield amazing benefits.

New Athiests are obnoxious because they're using the same hunter-gatherer logic that leads every religion astray, us vs. Them. We're smart, they're dumb. We're civil, they're violent.

Comment

This attack wasn't really about religion anyway. It was about another weird asshole who had nothing going on in his life and snapped. I think young men in this country are in trouble. In a world where being an adult man of value seems to be further and further out of reach these days, I think men are having a crisis of identity.

They spent their entire childhood being told they're the chosen one, then they can't even figure out how to live on their own, get a decently paying job, or find someone to love them. There's a reason why all these terrorists are home grown lone wolf types. They're cast offs that have stewed in their anger so long it possesses them.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
                          Radical evangelics have not resorted to violence?

Well how about that.
                          The Crusades come to mind.
                          2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

I think people acting in the name of religion can achieve a level of goodness that humans can rarely achieve in the name of secular humanism. The vision of yourself as a part of a greater good, the connection to community, and the will to hold yourself to a higher moral standard can yield amazing benefits.
                            Morals can be achieved without divine guidance. People and society are just lazy. I can teach my kids good without religion. To me, religion is the biggest form of conformism we have ever seen.

Comment

This attack wasn't really about religion anyway. It was about another weird asshole who had nothing going on in his life and snapped. I think young men in this country are in trouble. In a world where being an adult man of value seems to be further and further out of reach these days, I think men are having a crisis of identity.

They spent their entire childhood being told they're the chosen one, then they can't even figure out how to live on their own, get a decently paying job, or find someone to love them. There's a reason why all these terrorists are home grown lone wolf types. They're cast offs that have stewed in their anger so long it possesses them.
                              Second time in just a fees days we have agreed. Stock up on good and supplies, the zombies are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
                                Morals can be achieved without divine guidance. People and society are just lazy. I can teach my kids good without religion. To me, religion is the biggest form of conformism we have ever seen.
                                How did you learn good?

Comment

Working...
                                X