Kliff Kingsbury should maybe be on fast track from Lubbock to Dallas

p1_

DCC 4Life
Here's the thing: if you shit can Linehan, Garrett is not going to go out and look for a whole new offensive scheme.
kinda paradoxical that you would shitcan a guy running your offense and NOT plan to change the philosophy. Otherwise, youre not addressing the problem, and there would be no logic in firing Linehan.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
kinda paradoxical that you would shitcan a guy running your offense and NOT plan to change the philosophy. Otherwise, youre not addressing the problem, and there would be no logic in firing Linehan.
There would be no logic but Garrett and Linehan are from the same family tree. Garrett is invested in his offensive scheme. It goes back to way back when. It's common knowledge throughout the NFL that Garrett is never going to try to fool anybody. With Garrett's personnel groups and formations, what you see is what you get. How does getting rid of Linehan change that?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If Garrett survives and we get only get rid of Linehan I'm betting he pushes for a lameduck OC and takes back playcalling and we get to see how Dak does passing 40+ times a games

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If Garrett survives and we get only get rid of Linehan I'm betting he pushes for a lameduck OC and takes back playcalling and we get to see how Dak does passing 40+ times a games
I hope so if it plays out that way. Garrett would have zero excuses left.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is precisely why we won't get anyone of any caliber if Garrett returns.

He is not going to hand over his offense after dumping his BFF.

Honestly, we are in a no win scenario. Garrett gets the team to a one and done, he's back and probably brings Linehan back with him. He is still under contract to Jones and that is pretty much a done deal unless something bad happens.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There would be no logic but Garrett and Linehan are from the same family tree. Garrett is invested in his offensive scheme. It goes back to way back when. It's common knowledge throughout the NFL that Garrett is never going to try to fool anybody. With Garrett's personnel groups and formations, what you see is what you get. How does getting rid of Linehan change that?
The system is equally the problem as much as Linehans execution of it. To me, if we are forced to keep Garrett, our offense will be just as it is until he does actually get fired. If you keep Garrett and his offense, theres no reason to get rid of Linehan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is precisely why we won't get anyone of any caliber if Garrett returns.

He is not going to hand over his offense after dumping his BFF.

Honestly, we are in a no win scenario. Garrett gets the team to a one and done, he's back and probably brings Linehan back with him. He is still under contract to Jones and that is pretty much a done deal unless something bad happens.
Jerry hates last years of contracts with a coach. Garrett will either be extended or cut.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You get a different OC who has a different system and install it. I think Garrett might welcome a change in the system.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You get a different OC who has a different system and install it. I think Garrett might welcome a change in the system.
That's if Garrett is open to changing, and not stubbornly clinging to the past. Look at what Andy Reid did to change his own offensive philosophy, and the Chiefs are on fire. It can be done, but Garrett is not your typical Princeton grad.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You're talking about the guy who insisted we keep using his playbook when he was forced to hire an OC

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They *should* be smart enough to just watch the tape, talk to some spread coaches, and implement some of the principles themselves, like Reid did. But Reid is smart and flexible and ego-less enough to do that.

p1 said:
It can be done, but Garrett is not your typical Princeton grad.
Or maybe he is, thinking he's already the smartest guy in the room so why should he change anything or copy someone else? Even David Moore, who is generally a Garrett fan, has said he thinks Garrett's stubborness stems from thinking he's already doing the right thing, so changing would be admitting he was wrong before.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
True but it’s possible he might see the handwriting on the wall if he doesn’t get things turned aroung. He just may be ready for a change and if he stays that would signal he is willing to change for positive results.

You're talking about the guy who insisted we keep using his playbook when he was forced to hire an OC

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They *should* be smart enough to just watch the tape, talk to some spread coaches, and implement some of the principles themselves, like Reid did. But Reid is smart and flexible and ego-less enough to do that.

Or maybe he is, thinking he's already the smartest guy in the room so why should he change anything or copy someone else? Even David Moore, who is generally a Garrett fan, has said he thinks Garrett's stubborness stems from thinking he's already doing the right thing, so changing would be admitting he was wrong before.
I'm not sure but if Garrett was the smartest person in the room why would he not take over the play calling?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not sure but if Garrett was the smartest person in the room why would he not take over the play calling?
Exactly. People seem to have forgotten that it was Garrett’s stubbornness that precipitated he hire an OC in the first place. He was pretty much forced to get away from the play calling. I doubt he wants to get back into that role again.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Looks like USC hired him as their OC.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like USC hired him as their OC.
Smart move for them. I think it will actually work out well for both sides. He is going to be able to use that job to launch into something better than Texas Tech if he is successful.

Top Bottom