Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol
:lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know what's been covered.

My position is that I'm not ready to move on from Dez but I think he should be asked to take a paycut. Mostly because, I think symbolically, he needs everyone -- the coaches, the other WRs, Dak, even himself, to stop thinking that Dez Bryant is in the same category as Julio Jones and AJ Green. He's not.

He can be effective and productive if he's Anquan Bolden, though. He has more to give. But it's time for everyone to stop thinking of him as the Alpha Dog.

What needs to change is Terrence Williams, though. For Bryant to be Bolden, he needs a more reliable and more explosive guy next to him. Beasley may have to go as well, to be replaced by Switzer, cause you really only need one short shifty guy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know what's been covered.

My position is that I'm not ready to move on from Dez but I think he should be asked to take a paycut. Mostly because, I think symbolically, he needs everyone -- the coaches, the other WRs, Dak, even himself, to stop thinking that Dez Bryant is in the same category as Julio Jones and AJ Green. He's not.

He can be effective and productive if he's Anquan Bolden, though. He has more to give. But it's time for everyone to stop thinking of him as the Alpha Dog.

What needs to change is Terrence Williams, though. For Bryant to be Bolden, he needs a more reliable and more explosive guy next to him. Beasley may have to go as well, to be replaced by Switzer, cause you really only need one short shifty guy.
I dont know if he's been asked by the front office to take a pay cut but has been asked by the media. He is definitely against taking one if you take him by his reaction and words there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couldn't disagree with this more. Terrence Williams is one of the few productive receivers on our roster. An outside guy who Dak can complete 70% of his passes to. Dez on the other hand literally has made our offense look worse when he is on the field. So instead of dumping the guy who makes our offense look worse, we should keep him and dump the guy playing well? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd dump Dez because his attitude doesn't allow him to be placed in a reduced role and he is a terrible fit for this coaching staff and QB. I think he is still useful but not in Dallas. Save the 13 mil in cap space and go get a receiver who can fit what we do in the draft and in free agency.

I agree on Beasley though. I see no difference between him and Switzer except about 3 mil in cap savings and Switzer is the better returner. Plus it opens up another receiver spot to add real speed since the only guy with any speed at receiver is walking out the door this offseason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Goof Son today:

“The Dez situation has a lot of moving parts to it when you look at it,” Jones said. “First of all … the football relationship between Dak and Dez is different than Tony [Romo] and Dez. Tony certainly his game, they kind of tailored it to one another. When Dak came in, he certainly is not going to play the game exactly like Tony played the game. I think it hasn’t ever just hit on all cylinders yet in term of how the Dak-and-Dez the connection works. I think it’s a work in progress. I think it could improve if given the opportunity.“The other thing that we all see and it is certainly visible to anyone who watches our games, watches our sideline, is Dez is certainly a fiery guy who plays with a lot of emotion both on and off the field. Sometimes that can be a distraction. It can be a distraction for Dez, it can be a distraction for other teammates. And we just have to really get our hands around when you put all the full body of work together where that’s headed.“Of course we pay Dez a lot of money, and he knows that. He’s as aware of it as anybody. … He knows when you get paid that kind of money there’s high expectations in terms of the productivity. … Those are all things we have to look at as a team, as an organization when we start to put our team together next year.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Dez Bryant’s emotional outbursts “can be a distraction”
Charean Williams,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 17 hours ago
Reactions Sign in to like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

The Cowboys are not going to pay Dez Bryant a $12.5 million base and take a $16.5 million cap charge next season for a wide receiver who has no 1,000-yard seasons the past three seasons, doesn’t click with quarterback Dak Prescott and occasionally blows up on the sideline. The question is: Do they want to keep Bryant, and if so, how much are they willing to spend on him?

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones admitted the team has a lot to weigh when deciding Bryant’s future this offseason.

“Tony [Romo] certainly his game, they kind of tailored it to one another,” Jones said on the team webside, via Kate Hairopoulos of the Dallas Morning News. “When Dak came in, he certainly is not going to play the game exactly like Tony played the game. I think it hasn’t ever just hit on all cylinders yet in term of how Dak-and-Dez the connection works. I think it’s a work in progress. I think it could improve if given the opportunity.

“The other thing that we all see and it is certainly visible to anyone who watches our games, watches our sideline, is Dez is certainly a fiery guy who plays with a lot of emotion both on and off the field. Sometimes that can be a distraction. It can be a distraction for Dez; it can be a distraction for other teammates. We just have to really get our hands around when you put all the full body of work together where that’s headed.

“Of course, we pay Dez a lot of money, and he knows that. He’s as aware of it as anybody. . . . He knows when you get paid that kind of money there’s high expectations in terms of the productivity. . . . Those are all things we have to look at as a team, as an organization when we start to put our team together for next year.”

Bryant has indicated he will resist a pay cut, but the Cowboys already have paid Bryant all $45 million of his guaranteed money. So Bryant’s future currently is in the Cowboys’ hands.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Dez Bryant will never be a Anquan Boldin.

Boldin was a savvy route runner to go along with his physicality.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or catching as many TD passes. In six fewer seasons, Dez has eight fewer career TDs.
Yeah Dez has been a TD machine. That's the area where he has dominated most over his entire career. Between the 20's he hasn't been that special. I wonder if he kind of half asses it until certain moments or situations.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah Dez has been a TD machine. That's the area where he has dominated most over his entire career. Between the 20's he hasn't been that special. I wonder if he kind of half asses it until certain moments or situations.
I think it's harder to throw to him because he doesn't look open when he probably is. The QB has to weigh risking an accurate back shoulder throw when a checkdown gets you 5-8 yards.

That might work on any given play, but sooner or later you have to try for the 15-25 yarder. That means throwing a WR like Dez open and letting him make plays.

That's a challenge for any QB, let alone one in the extra-challenging Garrett system who's only just completed his second year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's harder to throw to him because he doesn't look open when he probably is. The QB has to weigh risking an accurate back shoulder throw when a checkdown gets you 5-8 yards.

That might work on any given play, but sooner or later you have to try for the 15-25 yarder. That means throwing a WR like Dez open and letting him make plays.

That's a challenge for any QB, let alone one in the extra-challenging Garrett system who's only just completed his second year.
He doesn't do very well catching the ball when he doesn't "look open." The biggest problem with our offense is that we insist on forcing the ball to him even when he isn't open. It's why we complete such a low percentage of balls to Dez. It's hard to win 70% of contested balls. Which is why Dez is only catching closer to 50% of the passes thrown his direction.

vince

Not So New Member
Saw a clip from Undisputed where Greg Jennings is trying to notify Dez that taking a paycut is his best option.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He doesn't do very well catching the ball when he doesn't "look open." The biggest problem with our offense is that we insist on forcing the ball to him even when he isn't open. It's why we complete such a low percentage of balls to Dez. It's hard to win 70% of contested balls. Which is why Dez is only catching closer to 50% of the passes thrown his direction.
Our QB can’t throw those back shoulder passes with regularity, even when he’s protected. I still recall that tipped pass that was picked off vs. Seattle. Yeah, easy to say Dez has to catch that, but seriously where was Dak throwing? That was a five yard pass thrown well behind the WR. Was he even pressured?

Every WR on our team, not just Dez, suffered a loss of production last year, and it wasn’t all because of the OL. Face facts, our second year QB really struggled.

Dez is a guy who needs to be kept warm throughout the game. He needs to go to another team with a more experienced passer. We don’t have time to waste waiting on Dak and Dez to develop chemistry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our QB can’t throw those back shoulder passes with regularity, even when he’s protected. I still recall that tipped pass that was picked off vs. Seattle. Yeah, easy to say Dez has to catch that, but seriously where was Dak throwing? That was a five yard pass thrown well behind the WR. Was he even pressured?

Every WR on our team, not just Dez, suffered a loss of production last year, and it wasn’t all because of the OL. Face facts, our second year QB really struggled.

Dez is a guy who needs to be kept warm throughout the game. He needs to go to another team with a more experienced passer. We don’t have time to waste waiting on Dak and Dez to develop chemistry.
That doesn't explain why Dez's completion percentage was so low with Romo as well.

And like I said, Terrance Williams remained pretty close to his normal efficiency. Brice Butler has the best season of his career.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
DMN is theorizing that Dez will be dumped at some point. Will save something like $12 million if it's after July 1.

It started out with incidents at malls, cops being called to his house. Back then he was just "immature" and had some "growing up to do" and look at how tumultuous his childhood was.

After that it was tantrums on the sideline, pushing coaches. But it was okay because it was just his natural "intensity" that he couldn't contain. Then it was an injury, then it was threats to hold out, and on and on and on. Now he makes top-grade receiver money but he's no longer a top-grade receiver. And he still throws the occasional sideline tantrum.

The guy's always been a major distraction in one form or another.

Dez, the lifeboat is leaking and we need to lighten the load. Over the side you go.

Cotton

Staff member
DMN is theorizing that Dez will be dumped at some point. Will save something like $12 million if it's after July 1.

It started out with incidents at malls, cops being called to his house. Back then he was just "immature" and had some "growing up to do" and look at how tumultuous his childhood was.

After that it was tantrums on the sideline, pushing coaches. But it was okay because it was just his natural "intensity" that he couldn't contain. Then it was an injury, then it was threats to hold out, and on and on and on. Now he makes top-grade receiver money but he's no longer a top-grade receiver. And he still throws the occasional sideline tantrum.

The guy's always been a major distraction in one form or another.

Dez, the lifeboat is leaking and we need to lighten the load. Over the side you go.
I would do my best to whatever picks I can out of him in a trade. If, either by us not being able to redo his contract to make it tradeable, or if no one will take on his current contract, I try every path available to get something out of him. If nothing arises, then I dump him.

Cotton

Staff member

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I would do my best to whatever picks I can out of him in a trade. If, either by us not being able to redo his contract to make it tradeable, or if no one will take on his current contract, I try every path available to get something out of him. If nothing arises, then I dump him.

I don't think Jerry or the front-office staff is that mercenary. Which is too bad. Players and their contracts are like stock trades or futures contracts. You try to squeeze the most value out of each asset -- and that's all they are, assets.

When an asset is nearing the end of its useful life, recognize it or even anticipate it, see if you can find a buyer who may offer you value in terms of draft picks. Which may enhance the the value of the enterprise as a whole.

The purpose of the enterprise and its machinery is to win -- nothing else. Coaches, players, GMs, etc. are all assets with no usefulness other than to advance the purpose of the enterprise.

Top Bottom