Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 1 | Giants at Cowboys | 09/08/19

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
the patriots are going to be the best team in the afc, but honestly did anyone think the steelers were gonna be good this year? they lost their best player and didnt get better anywhere else, minus linebacker

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
To me it was Gallup. For not having a TD he had a monster game. But Cobb is right there with him.

The Oline also had an awesome day but the Giants Dline sucks so I'm not sure how much of a test they were.
agreed, i was gonna go with Cobb. I thought Leighton silently had a great game too but hard to argue gallup showed up today. he's going to be a great #2

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
the patriots are going to be the best team in the afc, but honestly did anyone think the steelers were gonna be good this year? they lost their best player and didnt get better anywhere else, minus linebacker
I admit I was fooled by JuJu and thought he was better than he's showing right now

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Nice win to start the season although there's enough wrong that someone like Jimmy Johnson would probably be throwing a shitfit over some of the issues. We don't have Jimmy though so I am sure Clapper is 100% pleased.

1) Hats off to Kellen Moore, job well done in his debut. The offense clearly looked different and Prescott has never looked better. The run blocking wasn't pristine but the pass protection was absolutely flawless, as Prescott wasn't sacked and hardly touched or even bothered. We have unquestionably the best group of receivers that we have had in years.

2) I'm thrilled with what we saw above, but lets not forget the debut of another young, supposedly hotshot OC back in 2007. Mr Garrett had himself a day, designing and playcalling the Cowboys to 42 pts, nearly 500 yds of offense and a 4TD game from the QB. And yeah, it was against the Giants too.

3) Run blocking needs work, but after Martin and Tyron both essentially missed most of camp and preseason I guess some of it was to be expected. I do think the Giants went in with the idea they were not going to let Zeke get going, and they paid a price. Eventually teams are going to have to make some adjustments for the passing attack, and hopefully by then the run blocking will be where it needs to be.

4) Probably will get lost in the shuffle of the great offensive day and mostly lousy defensive game we played, but I thought LVE's play forcing the throw away that ended up being intentional grounding was one of the real plays of the game. They looked like they were easily going to score again that play took them from what would have been 4th and less than 1 to 4th and 11 and out of FG range. We drove 80+ and scored to take the lead, and never looked back after.

5) Cole the fucktard Beasley had 5 catches for 40 yds and his most notable play was a ball that clanged off his hands for a pick 6. Randall Cobb had a sensational debut here. Cobb had 4 for 69 and a TD and his beasting catch and run for a 1st and goal on a 3rd and 10 was huge. I was super glad to see Beasley gone, and it looks even better now with Cobb in his place.

6) They should be really concerned about the defense. Other than a few plays there was no pass rush and the run defense was terrible. Hopefully getting Robert Quinn out there in two weeks will help, but he missed all of preseason too so it might take him several games to get it going. I thought the defense looked incredibly passive and they gave way too much space to the Giants receivers and didn't crowd the line enough vs the run, letting them easily create huge rush lanes. Marinelli is the DC in title and is the coach many target, but Kris Richard is running the defense and making all the defensive calls, and this is two games in a row (LA Rams in playoffs) that he has been horrendous. Marinelli might deserve to go, but Richard is leaving a lot to be desired.

7) I mentioned it in another thread, but sitting Taco Charlton seems like a poorly thought out decision. Crawford was awful at DE and only marginally better when he played inside at DT. Joe Jackson showed promise in preseason and seemingly got a lot of snaps today, but didn't register a tackle, assist or QB pressure. Tyrone Crawford got plenty of snaps and got credited for 1 QB hit and like Jackson, no tackles. Dorrance Armstrong was the exact same as Crawford.

Again I thought it was a nice opener, they won and looked very impressive offensively, especially the passing game. lets see how they do next week against a better defensive team on the road.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Steelers are quitting
Yeah looks like it.

But I don't think anyone in league history has ever pulled the quit job in week one that the Dolphins did today. They had supposedly warned the coaches and management they were going to mutiny if they traded away Tunsill and some of the other good players. Well, they did it.

That team gave absolutely ZERO effort. Fans should be screaming for their money back after witnessing that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
They had supposedly warned the coaches and management they were going to mutiny if they traded away Tunsill and some of the other good players.
Seriously? Got a link, I'd love to read about this

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
so minus the big 3 - who was the most impressive today? I don't think anyone aside from heath (and not that bad) had a great game
Gallup was sensational, Cobb was really good. Jarwin and Witten played good I thought. While the OL wasn't overly good run blocking, the pass blocking was perfect.

Defensively I thought DLaw and LVE were pretty good.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Seriously? Got a link, I'd love to read about this
It was in the news in the days before the Tunsill trade when the rumors were swirling. They had threatened some sort of protest or something, after the trade nothing was really said that I saw. Looks like "protested" with their effort today.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Nice win to start the season although there's enough wrong that someone like Jimmy Johnson would probably be throwing a shitfit over some of the issues. We don't have Jimmy though so I am sure Clapper is 100% pleased.

1) Hats off to Kellen Moore, job well done in his debut. The offense clearly looked different and Prescott has never looked better. The run blocking wasn't pristine but the pass protection was absolutely flawless, as Prescott wasn't sacked and hardly touched or even bothered. We have unquestionably the best group of receivers that we have had in years.

2) I'm thrilled with what we saw above, but lets not forget the debut of another young, supposedly hotshot OC back in 2007. Mr Garrett had himself a day, designing and playcalling the Cowboys to 42 pts, nearly 500 yds of offense and a 4TD game from the QB. And yeah, it was against the Giants too.

3) Run blocking needs work, but after Martin and Tyron both essentially missed most of camp and preseason I guess some of it was to be expected. I do think the Giants went in with the idea they were not going to let Zeke get going, and they paid a price. Eventually teams are going to have to make some adjustments for the passing attack, and hopefully by then the run blocking will be where it needs to be.

4) Probably will get lost in the shuffle of the great offensive day and mostly lousy defensive game we played, but I thought LVE's play forcing the throw away that ended up being intentional grounding was one of the real plays of the game. They looked like they were easily going to score again that play took them from what would have been 4th and less than 1 to 4th and 11 and out of FG range. We drove 80+ and scored to take the lead, and never looked back after.

5) Cole the fucktard Beasley had 5 catches for 40 yds and his most notable play was a ball that clanged off his hands for a pick 6. Randall Cobb had a sensational debut here. Cobb had 4 for 69 and a TD and his beasting catch and run for a 1st and goal on a 3rd and 10 was huge. I was super glad to see Beasley gone, and it looks even better now with Cobb in his place.

6) They should be really concerned about the defense. Other than a few plays there was no pass rush and the run defense was terrible. Hopefully getting Robert Quinn out there in two weeks will help, but he missed all of preseason too so it might take him several games to get it going. I thought the defense looked incredibly passive and they gave way too much space to the Giants receivers and didn't crowd the line enough vs the run, letting them easily create huge rush lanes. Marinelli is the DC in title and is the coach many target, but Kris Richard is running the defense and making all the defensive calls, and this is two games in a row (LA Rams in playoffs) that he has been horrendous. Marinelli might deserve to go, but Richard is leaving a lot to be desired.

7) I mentioned it in another thread, but sitting Taco Charlton seems like a poorly thought out decision. Crawford was awful at DE and only marginally better when he played inside at DT. Joe Jackson showed promise in preseason and seemingly got a lot of snaps today, but didn't register a tackle, assist or QB pressure. Tyrone Crawford got plenty of snaps and got credited for 1 QB hit and like Jackson, no tackles. Dorrance Armstrong was the exact same as Crawford.

Again I thought it was a nice opener, they won and looked very impressive offensively, especially the passing game. lets see how they do next week against a better defensive team on the road.
the only thing i think you are being hard on them for is the offensive line runblocking. They blatantly stacked the box and got burned heavy on the pass. When you don't have a good secondary you shouldn't be stacking like that. There legit wasn't one ball Dak threw that was close to being intercepted because people were wide open. Other than that I agreed on LVE and that the one poor thing was the defensive line play. No real pressure

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
His accuracy was def better today, especially with Gallup.
He had a couple passes early that were a little behind and had the wobbler on the TD to Jarwin (looked like the ball was slipping out of his hands a bit as he threw though) but for the vast majority of throws he was right on the money.

Some of those timing throws he had were the best I have ever seen from him, he seems to be seeing the field better and he made several throws before receivers made their cuts. Hopefully he keeps it up but a few games of this will definitely make running the ball easier for us.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well at the game, you could tell the Giants were playing 10 in the box for much of the game. They were determined not to let Zeke beat them. Ooops
And that's what has normally been the formula to beating Dallas. And Dak made them pay for it today. I know expecting him to play all the time like he did today is unrealistic, but I think he opened a lot of eyes around the league today. If he can can continue to throw like he did today, we will become very hard to defend. Teams will have to back off, and things will open up for Zeke and Pollard. Props to all involved with that passing game today. It looks like a 100% different attack than it did last year, with largely the same personnel.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
And how bout those Super Bowl champions Cleveland Browns.

Other than Antonio Brown, Baker Mayfield is probably the biggest punk cocksucker player in the league now. So glad he shit the bed today.

I didn't see the game but one of the radio guys (was in the car) said Mayfield could have easily had 5 or 6 picks today (he ended up with 3)

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I dunno what the fuck I watched earlier today, because it sure as fuck wasn’t the Cowboys. Our offense was stupid good. Yes, it was the Giants. But, we were aggressive, creative, and actually have a vertical passing game...with plays that Quincy can complete! And, Randall Cobb is a huge upgrade to Beasley, and it isn’t close. He did a ton of dirty work when he wasn’t catching passes.

The defense sucked ass as a whole. LVE looked good, but the d-line was eating shit all game long.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Bad trend on defense. Last 4 games (season ender in NY, two playoff games and today) our D has a total of 3 sacks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The defense was very inconsistent but I wouldn't worry yet, as far as the pass rush goes they were limiting Lawrence's snaps and Quinn is a big piece as really the only legitimate edge rusher opposite Lawrence. It'd be real nice to get Gregory back to give us a 3rd guy but who knows what his deal is. If they're still playing like this come October I'll be concerned but I suspect the tackling and run defense will sharpen up as the season goes on.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Can't just give a guy props for a perfect game. His accuracy was great. And some balls were even dropped.
I did give the guy props. He was excellent. You must have misread.

He still doesn’t always hit guys in stride. Both can be true. And they are.

But obviously that kind of performance kick starts his jump into surefire top 10 QB range a la Russell Wilson. Of course he won’t do it every week, but no one does.

Top Bottom