PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he’s planning a training-camp*holdout

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Why? They already came out and said his contract should start at Gurley money.

Get your money, Zeke. Rbs are abused and then thrown away now. I will change my tune if we see other positions do this but I'm positive its just the case of the way the owners now view the position.
The Cowboys have sort of painted themselves into a corner with their decision to make the RB and OL the focal point of the offense. Most other organizations can afford play hardball but Dallas isn't in that position.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frankly, I'd trade him.

If you can even find a trade partner. No one wants to give him that much money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When was the last time Jerry took a hard line stance in contract negotiations with one of his star players? Was it Emmitt?
No it wasn’t Emmitt. Jerry hasn’t really taken a hard stance. Emmitt was already close to the rocking chair when he went to Arizona. Jones has never played hardball except with Murray.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
W
The Cowboys have sort of painted themselves into a corner with their decision to make the RB and OL the focal point of the offense. Most other organizations can afford play hardball but Dallas isn't in that position.
I don’t think they are in a cornet yet. It remains to be seem how the team will play without Elliot. If he holds out and Dallas wins their first two openers the the game is over with Elliot. He can come back but on the organizations terms.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
No it wasn’t Emmitt. Jerry hasn’t really taken a hard stance. Emmitt was already close to the rocking chair when he went to Arizona. Jones has never played hardball except with Murray.
Pretty sure he's referring to when Emmitt held out the 1st couple games of the regular season way before he went to Arizona

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Pretty sure he's referring to when Emmitt held out the 1st couple games of the regular season way before he went to Arizona
He might have been but Jones caved on that deal also. He didn’t take a hard stance. He ask when was the last time Jones held his ground. That was Emmitts second time making demands.

GShock

DCC 4Life
He might have been but Jones caved on that deal also. He didn’t take a hard stance. He ask when was the last time Jones held his ground. That was Emmitts second time making demands.
He cut Emmitt rather than pay him. Cut Ware rather than pay him. Refused to overbid for Murray. Cut Dez rather than pay him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Annual salary is great but it's the guaranteed money with Zeke that freaks me out. RB's go down hill fast and Zeke has the added off the field strike against him already. If something happens I want the Cowboys to be able to honor the new contract about as well as Zeke honored the old contract. That's to say not at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Annual salary is great but it's the guaranteed money with Zeke that freaks me out. RB's go down hill fast and Zeke has the added off the field strike against him already. If something happens I want the Cowboys to be able to honor the new contract about as well as Zeke honored the old contract. That's to say not at all.
Then front load the contract like they did Jaylon Smith. Only hang up is perhaps Elliott wants it structured differently.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then front load the contract like they did Jaylon Smith. Only hang up is perhaps Elliott wants it structured differently.
But if the average is 15. Do you really want to have a RB costing even more than that right now? Is 17 mil anywhere in the realm of reasonable for a RB to count against the cap right now. You'd be more than a few million dollars above the next highest paid RB. And honestly front loaded or back loaded doesn't matter much in todays NFL salary cap where savings are passed from one year to the next.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
I was referring to the Emmitt contract holdout back in 1993.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He cut Emmitt rather than pay him. Cut Ware rather than pay him. Refused to overbid for Murray. Cut Dez rather than pay him.
Aside from Murray the other players were already past their prime and in decline.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Aside from Murray the other players were already past their prime and in decline.
I agree. He's paid plenty of players big bucks and then seen their performance (or behavior) plummet. Aikman, Irvin, TO, Austin, Johnston, Sanders, Barber, Bryant, Romo, arguably Ware. We overpaid for all of these guys on their last contract. Those are just the most obvious examples. I do think Jerry and Stephen have learned and are getting more astute. Their outstanding drafting is also really helping things. However, we are going to have to start consider trading some of our good players at some point. We are going get back in salary cap hell soon with a less than SB-caliber roster.

Also, I do think if Dak doesn't really improve we're going to going to be a perennial also-ran. I just don't see teams with average QBs advance to the show anymore. I do like Dak a lot. He's just not an elite passer. Elite leader. Excellent decision maker. Very good runner. Tougher than nails. Just not a pinpoint passer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That he did and that was a hard line position. I named Murray and he did take a stance with Dez. Emmitts first holdout made Jones cave after 2 games.m

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Yeah he caved because his championship caliber team was imploding. Emmitt was the best back in the league and vastly underpaid.

It wasn't "caving" it was the smart thing to do.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
This is zoner esque stuff here.

WTF? Didn't pay Emmitt? Didn't pay Dez? Ware made a boatload of money here. Murray took the highest bid and left.

Not sure what your point is.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
That he did and that was a hard line position. I named Murray and he did take a stance with Dez. Emmitts first holdout made Jones cave after 2 games.m
What was this "stance" with Dez you speak of? Dude got a 5yr 70 million deal from the Cowboys.

And what the hell did you want them to do with Emmitt? Never pay the guy? FFS

Top Bottom