Witten back with the Cowboys...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh.

I dunno. I think this is a situation where the stats are lying. Or they are inflated by one outlier.

There is really no way you can argue we were better off, or even close to equal, with the TE spot when Witten was here versus last year. The offense as a whole labored a lot more in 2017 vs 2018, which affected the numbers. The security and reliability he offers alone is worth enough to say his production, if it's the same as before, would be an upgrade.

I think people are slightly overreacting to this. Of course if we also draft a TE in the second, that's cool too.
Witten was part of the reason we labored. 3 yard catches on third and 8 were a big problem in 2017.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Witten was part of the reason we labored. 3 yard catches on third and 8 were a big problem in 2017.
Yeah, I mean, I think it's clear we need a TE for the future who can get downfield a bit.

But Jarwin and Schultz were so unready for starting roles and Swaim was such a backup caliber player, that having 2017 Witten with his 7 yards and a cloud of dust approach would have been a dramatic upgrade, IMO. For 15 games, we were way behind the pace. And then in the season finale Jarwin went off and had 3 TDs.

Well, setting aside that performance, Witten gave you better in the other 15 games. I'll be happy to have that stability back.

Of course, not saying we should ignore TE. We obviously need one who can be a future top end starter that can stretch the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, setting aside that performance, Witten gave you better in the other 15 games. I'll be happy to have that stability back.
Witten had 560 yards on 87 catches in 2017 for a 8.9 yards per catch so I'm not really sure that's true. And if you throw out his best game of the season (Like you want to for the 2018 TEs) Witten's numbers would look even worse. And now Witten is even older and slower. I know it's probably not a popular opinion but Witten was part of the problem in 2017. Just like Dez was. Moving on from both guys was absolutely progress. And no Jarwin isn't the answer. But Witten is clearly not the answer either. To go back to Witten makes no sense.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
With Witten coming back, it's almost like we have a 1st rounder again!!!!!

:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uhh, why even throw that pass?
No fucking clue. Well unless you have a receiver with some run after the catch ability and he has space.

A better question is why even have Witten run it? Or why have Witten on the field at all? All questions we will get to ask once again because he is back.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Eh.

I dunno. I think this is a situation where the stats are lying. Or they are inflated by one outlier.

There is really no way you can argue we were better off, or even close to equal, with the TE spot when Witten was here versus last year. The offense as a whole labored a lot more in 2017 vs 2018, which affected the numbers. The security and reliability he offers alone is worth enough to say his production, if it's the same as before, would be an upgrade.

I think people are slightly overreacting to this. Of course if we also draft a TE in the second, that's cool too.
Yep. People are definitely overreacting to this.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Would you rather have Witten or an injury-prone Eifert?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think I would rather have Witten. Even slow and decrepit the man still gets open.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If healthy Eifert.

One will never leave the field though and the other will barely stay on it. I wouldn't want either particularly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Witten won't get as many plays as before, more like a fraction of that.
I hope you're right but don't know I have faith that it will be the case. They have never been able to cut down on Witten's snaps no matter how ridiculous it got.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
You guys may have some snarky responses to this, but my brother and best friend (both Giants' fans), who were elated to see him go, are none too happy with this turn of events.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You guys may have some snarky responses to this, but my brother and best friend (both Giants' fans), who were elated to see him go, are none too happy with this turn of events.
Well, I am sure on 3rd and 5, he can run the Y-option and get us 4 yards.

So we have that going for us, which is nice.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, I am sure on 3rd and 5, he can run the Y-option and get us 4 yards.

So we have that going for us, which is nice.
On third and nine he catch it for five and labor for another two before being caught from behind by a DT who got his start two yards in the backfield.

Top Bottom