Witten back with the Cowboys...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If his ultimate goal is to go into coaching then it makes a little more sense. Although given the Cowboys' penchant for nepotism, I'm sure Uncle Jerry would have handed him a job as a position coach.
Yeah, Jerry would have given him an assistant position of some sort right now without question. Do that. Don't shove the old man down our throats again as a declining TE taking snaps away from other more explosive players.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
$3.5 mil for a washed up player who can't even run? I'm assuming he can still block and catch five yard dink and dunks.
​​​​​​Just what is this? A free agent-ish one year band aid? I don't know that he's even an upgrade over Jarwin...maybe, maybe not. Did we bring him in to be one of those stupid player/mentors? Are we passing up a TE in the draft? If Jerry wanted to bring him on as a coach, he didn't have to go about it like this.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Dallas Cowboys just signed a future HOFer at a position of need. Why are people against this move? The only people that should be against this are fans and players from other teams that had hope of winning the super bowl this year.

Yes. I just heard somebody say this exact thing on NFL radio.

:lol

I couldn't be sure, but there were faint sounds of a toilet being plunged and a John Wayne movie playing in the background.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The Dallas Cowboys just signed a future HOFer at a position of need. Why are people against this move? The only people that should be against this are fans and players from other teams that had hope of winning the super bowl this year.

I couldn't be sure, but there were faint sounds of a toilet being plunged and a John Wayne movie playing in the background.
And a lone green balloon floats by, anxiously anticipating the next move.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly did not see this coming. Witten has long been a favorite of mine. But much like bringing Dez back it just feels like a backwards move that's going to stunt the progress we made this past season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:picard

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Anyway, a little wishful thinking on my part..

Hopefully, Witten will be brought in more as a coach on the field type of player, to mentor our young TE group and play in short yardage situations. Not to be the focal point of the position. And that we are still targeting a TE in a draft full of good prospects.

Last year we carried 4 TEs on the roster. We can do the same this year, but with a shakeup of names. A draft pick, Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz, and Jason Witten.

Swaim isn't resigned in FA, and the Rico Gathers experiment finally comes to an end. Also, with the signing of Witten the interest in Garrett's boy Eifert is probably over. And really, the signing of Witten or signing Eifert is probably a wash. Sure, Eifert is younger and better. But considering he'd probably only play a handful of games for us before breaking down, it's not that big of a loss.

Just for arguments sake, say we end up with somebody like Jace Sternberger. Him along with Jarwin, Schultz, and Witten looks pretty good. Certainly better than what we had last year.

Cotton

Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Schlereth vs Whitlock: Jason Witten ends retirement[/h]

p1_

DCC 4Life
we had better plan on running a lot of 12 personnel.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Stephen A. weeps over Jason Witten re-joining the Cowboys[/h]
one positive to come from this.
Is it just me, or would anybody else like to throw Stephen A. off the top of a tall building? His take on Witten notwithstanding.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Anyway, I'd imagine he was about to get shitcanned at ESPN. So may as well take Jerry's money while you can.

Cotton

Staff member
Right, a 37 year old on a one year deal that skipped a year means WE ARE SET at TE. :lol
Don't think for a second the Cowboys brass isn't thinking this exact thing.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Don't think for a second the Cowboys brass isn't thinking this exact thing.
Yeah, if it were any other team but the Cowboys I wouldn't mind this move but we know how these fuckers think and now we likely pass on TE early for more Jarwin/Schultz type JAGs later in the draft instead of one of the really good options that will likely be there for us early -- if they even go TE at all now.

GShock

DCC 4Life
So he fucks us by retiring on, what, day 2 of the fucking draft, leaves us with no - *zero* competent TEs for an entire season, then parachutes back in a year older and slower to help his coaching prospects? And our organizational response is something other than ”get bent”?

Everything is retarded.

still.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
He wants one last shot at a ring... so he'll take Rico's spot, Swaim should walk, we'll draft a TE to compete with Jarwin and Shultz. If Witten can help with our "goal-to-go" struggles (blocking or catching), all the better.

Top Bottom