Cowboys Want To Keep Richard; Jets Reportedly Add Him To Interview List

p1_

DCC 4Life
USA Today

DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) - The Cowboys are hoping to keep passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach, Kris Richard, but the New York Jets and other NFL teams may have other plans.

Minutes after Stephen Jones told 105.3 The Fan that the club hoped to keep Richard, Tom Pelissero of NFL.com reported that the Jets had formally put in a request to interview Richard for their head coaching vacancy.

"It's premature to talk about who's calling who. Kris has done a great job. We certainly wouldn't be surprised at all to get several calls on Kris before it's all said and done," Jones said. "He's done a great job this year working with Rod (Marinelli). We certainly want to keep him. That's an important part about what we're about on the defensive side of the ball, but we also realize when these assistants get head coaching opportunities they have to look at that."

Richard has become a hot coaching name since helping revive the Cowboys defense to one of the best in the league this season. The 39-year-old has been calling the plays on defense the entire season.

Prior to joining the Cowboys this season, Richard was the Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator for three years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Prepare for the departure, folks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Fire Rod Marinelli, promote Richard to DC/Asst HC and give him the wink/wink that he's the HC in waiting. All while writing a big fat check, Jer.

Or, if we get bounced in the first round, send Garrett packing and interview him for HC.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fire Rod Marinelli, promote Richard to DC/Asst HC and give him the wink/wink that he's the HC in waiting. All while writing a big fat check, Jer.

Or, if we get bounced in the first round, send Garrett packing and interview him for HC.
Yep.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
They won't be allowed to interview Richard until our season is over.
Honestly he's not ready to be a HC. He isn't even our DC, at least not officially, right now. I suspect he is going to be a victim of the Rooney rule. He'll get plenty of interview but no offers. But you never know. I wouldn't hire him yet though, Needs more grooming.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly he's not ready to be a HC. He isn't even our DC, at least not officially, right now. I suspect he is going to be a victim of the Rooney rule. He'll get plenty of interview but no offers. But you never know. I wouldn't hire him yet though, Needs more grooming.
Why do you think he isn't ready? He has been a coach for 10 years. He has been a defensive coordinator in Seattle. He is basically our defensive coordinator now. Seems like the natural next step for him.

Reminds me a little of the path Sean Payton took through Dallas.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Why do you think he isn't ready? He has been a coach for 10 years. He has been a defensive coordinator in Seattle. He is basically our defensive coordinator now. Seems like the natural next step for him.

Reminds me a little of the path Sean Payton took through Dallas.
I can't think of a young, fiery coach who is all that successful. I think the best coaches are also X and O geniuses. I don't see that out of him. But I could be wrong..

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All of the hand wringing is probably unnecessary. It is pretty rare for a guy who hasn't been a successful coordinator for an extended period of time get elevated to HC so quickly.

He had a poor season in Seattle, got fired and has sparked this defense for a year.

Plus, the guy is automatically most team's Rooney Rule candidate. I don't think these two teams are itching to have him as their head coach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus, the guy is automatically most team's Rooney Rule candidate. I don't think these two teams are itching to have him as their head coach.
I think this is true. He seems like a great Rooney rule candidate that at least looks legit. He is our defensive coordinator if not by name and we have a great defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think this is true. He seems like a great Rooney rule candidate that at least looks legit. He is our defensive coordinator if not by name and we have a great defense.
He will likely get a real shot one day. But honestly, he has one year as a legitimate DC under his belt. I realize people believe that he calls all the shots on Dallas' defense, but I don't think what he does can be considered being a fully fledged coordinator.

Not many teams are going to promote someone all the way to head coach with that level of experience.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I kind of think this is just a Rooney rule interview as well. Mainly because Richard is a defensive coach. If I had to bet a month's pay, I'd bet the Jets will end up hiring an offensive minded coach to help develop Darnold. It only makes sense.

As for the other issue about Richard not having much experience, that's not nearly as big of an issue these days. General managers these days are more willing to roll the dice on position coaches. It's not like the old days where you pretty much had to be a former HC or a coordinator in order to be considered a viable HC candidate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He will likely get a real shot one day. But honestly, he has one year as a legitimate DC under his belt. I realize people believe that he calls all the shots on Dallas' defense, but I don't think what he does can be considered being a fully fledged coordinator.

Not many teams are going to promote someone all the way to head coach with that level of experience.
I think he is our defensive coordinator. Put whatever name on it you want he is running the defense. He is calling the plays. He is dictating the coverages. We are basically running a defense Marinelli has never run. Plus he is way more vocal and a bigger voice in the meetings than Marinelli.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Plus, he was DC for Seattle 2015-‘17

shane

DCC 4Life

I could respect that move. Richard with some veteran assistants could be a pretty good coach here.

Top Bottom