Cowboys Sign Ezekiel Elliott

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Looks like this offense is going to be one of the league's worst .... IMO

I don't think so.

They aren't particularly different personnel than last year when they were one of the top offenses. I don't think things will change much in that regard.

The problem is when they play against top defenses. Good defenses stymy them way too easily and the offense breaks down. And unfortunately that hasn't changed from last year either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is when they play against top defenses. Good defenses stymy them way too easily and the offense breaks down. And unfortunately that hasn't changed from last year either.
We need to be able to run the ball against tough defenses because Dak isn't going to be able to beat them carrying the entire weight of the offense. The only way that happens is if rookie Beebe is a badass at center in year one. I think he is great but that may be asking too much of a rookie center.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
We need to be able to run the ball against tough defenses because Dak isn't going to be able to beat them carrying the entire weight of the offense. The only way that happens is if rookie Beebe Hoffman is a badass at center in year one. I think he is great but that may be asking too much of a rookie center.
Agreed.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think the offense will still be pretty good this year.

I'm more worried about the defense with as much as we lost* and barely anyone to replace them up front.

*especially boozestrong

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the offense will still be pretty good this year.

I'm more worried about the defense with as much as we lost* and barely anyone to replace them up front.

*especially boozestrong
The funny thing is we didn't really lose anyone of significant value. Especially on defense. We just lost a lot of contributors and added no one. Well except the draft, we added some good players there.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I mean hopefully in year two Cooks and Dak will have better chemistry. We don't need greatness just dudes who can consistently beat mean coverage.
I think the Cooks thing is also on coaching.

From what I saw last year, the guy still has plenty in the tank and had no issues getting past defenders and getting open deep -- Dak just missed him so many times.

The coaches have not been putting him in the right routes and right situations as well.

Cooks is not a problem. It's the QB and coaching that aren't getting the most out of him.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The funny thing is we didn't really lose anyone of significant value. Especially on defense. We just lost a lot of contributors and added no one. Well except the draft, we added some good players there.
That's the problem right there -- it's not who we lost on defense because none of them were particularly special.

It's that we didn't do shit to replace and/or upgrade from them.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

In a sport like football though, that depth is really important.

Maybe they've covered most of their losses between Kendricks and the draft and young guys stepping up. Maybe.

But they sure haven't gotten better. Not that I can see.

Genghis Khan

I think the Cooks thing is also on coaching.

From what I saw last year, the guy still has plenty in the tank and had no issues getting past defenders and getting open deep -- Dak just missed him so many times.

The coaches have not been putting him in the right routes and right situations.

Cooks is not a problem. It's the QB and coaching that aren't getting the most out of him.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's a coaching problem rather than a QB problem, but I agree I don't think it's a Cooks problem.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure it's a coaching problem rather than a QB problem, but I agree I don't think it's a Cooks problem.
I think it's a QB issue as well. I think Dak needs to get more comfortable with Cooks. Dak almost never misses an open Lamb, because he is always looking for Lamb. I think he needs to continue to build that trust and confidence in Cooks. And maybe not having Gallup on the field getting balls forced to him will help. Dak always loved Gallup, but Gallup hung him out to dry too often.

Genghis Khan

I think it's a QB issue as well. I think Dak needs to get more comfortable with Cooks. Dak almost never misses an open Lamb, because he is always looking for Lamb. I think he needs to continue to build that trust and confidence in Cooks. And maybe not having Gallup on the field getting balls forced to him will help. Dak always loved Gallup, but Gallup hung him out to dry too often.

Hopefully this offseason they will have a chance to get their timing down.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom