Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Derek Ross was another woulda coulda didn’t
Absolutely.

I've always said that that 2002 draft from simply a talent standpoint was pretty impressive.

It was easily the best draft post-Jimmy and pre-Parcells.

Both Antonio Bryant and Derek Ross were very impressive in their rookie seasons and on a very bad 2002 team. They both came back the next year in 2003 and impressed again under Parcells, but because both of them had two cent brains, they were both sent packing.

Couple that with 4 very good seasons out of Roy Williams and a long time pro bowl starter in Andre Gurode, and that SHOULD have been one of the top drafts of the decade.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Not sure why the passing game wasn't working that day, needing to over rely on Emmitt.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not sure why the passing game wasn't working that day, needing to over rely on Emmitt.
Giants had a solid defense, those infamous Meadowlands winds were swirling in the second half, and the game had reached that point where it was just about physicality in a tough environment.

It was about who had the bigger balls in the end, and those Cowboys had the biggest in the NFL at the time.

Man, it sure was great being a fan of a team that was so physically tough and gritty.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Giants had a solid defense, those infamous Meadowlands winds were swirling in the second half, and the game had reached that point where it was just about physicality in a tough environment.

It was about who had the bigger balls in the end, and those Cowboys had the biggest in the NFL at the time.

Man, it sure was great being a fan of a team that was so physically tough and gritty.
They covered Novacek well and never stopped playing their two-deep zone

It made Emmitt the best matchup most of the time. Had he not gotten hurt I honestly believe we’d have beaten them by 20

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They covered Novacek well and never stopped playing their two-deep zone

It made Emmitt the best matchup most of the time. Had he not gotten hurt we’d have beaten them by 20
Yeah, I agree with you in that the game isn't as close if Emmitt never gets hurt.

He ran for 170 and caught for another 61 and that was after playing 2.5 quarters with one arm.

If fully healthy, he runs for 200 and we win by 2 scores if not more.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

They focused on shutting down the pass after Emmitt got hurt was the right strategy.

We didn't score a single point in the second half because we couldn't move the ball through the air effectively. But that became easier to do when they knew Emmitt might hurt them some, but wouldn't kill them due to the state he was in.

If Emmitt was healthy, I think it opens up the passing game more in the second half while he continues to gash them as he was doing in the first half.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think a little of it was on Smith. He made it clear how painful it was and the only way out of it was to get the bye. Plus the wind was a bit of a factor IIRC. I have not watched that game in forever, may have to do so.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

They focused on shutting down the pass after Emmitt got hurt was the right strategy.

We didn't score a single point in the second half because we couldn't move the ball through the air effectively. But that became easier to do when they knew Emmitt might hurt them some, but wouldn't kill them due to the state he was in.

If Emmitt was healthy, I think it opens up the passing game more in the second half while he continues to gash them as he was doing in the first half.
Reeves was running Hampton an awful lot too. Very conservative.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I fired up some YouTube highlights on the Emmitt Game.

Jimmy Johnson was kind of a dumb ass for the onsides kick early after the first FG.

Top Bottom