Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I’m all for exploring this topic. History doesn’t give the defense enough recognition for elevating their performance in the playoffs. In fact, I kinda wanna say they’re more responsible than the offense for the SB runs.

Possible that our offense dominated TOP and other complementary stuff that made it easier on the defense, but some quick defensive facts that show it was more than the offense blowing down the doors.

1992: Six turnovers in two games (one punt recovery) before the 9 in SB27. Allowed 15.7 points per three games
1993: Five turnovers in two games before the 3 in SB28. Allowed 17 points per three games
1995: Three turnovers in two games before the 3 in SB30. Allowed 18.3 points per three games.

Off the top of my head, those turnovers didn’t occur when we had double digit leads, but when the contest was still tight.

In those three years, the NFCC vs Packers is probably the only game where the offense carried the lions share.

Steel Curtain, 85 Bears gets a lot of hype for their contributions, but it’s interesting that you don’t read about the overall defensive performance for the early 90s defense. There is spot mention about Larry Brown’s SB30, the 9 turnovers in SB27, less so James Washington’s SB28, but not enough credit for the overall defensive performance.

I don’t know. Nostalgic ramblings when I see replays of the Emmitt SB28 drive, but less mention that Washington’s TD tied the game up right before, then forced the punt leading into Emmitt’s drive.
Good points. But Jimmy was a defensive coach, after all. And we all know his saying about it not being the number of big plays you make but the number of bad plays you don't make.

data

Forbes #1
If The Slant is the greatest play in Cowboys history that signifies the launch of a new dynasty, is Larry Brown's second INT SB30 the second greatest play in Cowboys history?

Cowboys up only by 3 points, Steelers have the ball and all the momentum on a 10-0 run. Cowboys offense with two straight 3-n-outs.

At least the greatest single play for 180 degree despair-to-triumph turnaround.

Yeah, it's mocked for being a gimme, but m'fer still had to catch the INT. How many dropped gimme-INTs have resulted in catastrophic playoff losses?
  • 2007 SB42, Patriots vs Giants. 4th qtr, 1:15. Dropped INT by Asante Samuel right before The Helmet Catch then GW-TD drive.
  • 2021 NFCC, 49ers vs Rams. 4th qtr, 9:50. Dropped INT by Jaquarski Tartt allows game-tying FG drive.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
It wasn't necessarily a "great" play (O'Donnell threw it right to him), but it was a consequential, game-sealing play.

data

Forbes #1
It wasn't necessarily a "great" play (O'Donnell threw it right to him), but it was a consequential, game-sealing play.
Doesn't register the pretty points, but can't think of a play with greater factual result in terms of direct impact and stakes.
  • Hail Mary. Won game but lost in Super Bowl
  • Dorsett's 99-yarder. Lost game anyway and regular season
  • Staubach bomb to Butch Johnson SBXII. Sealed the victory, but we were already leading 13-3 at time.
  • James Washington's TD in SB28. Similar in stakes and maybe moreso in direct impact (actually a TD and we were behind), but Larry Brown gets the nod for being later in the game.
  • Staubach's 1979 Tony Hill TD in career final reg season, but lost next playoff game.
  • NOTE: Had Drew Pearson broke free for the TD post-The Catch, that would've been fucking amazing. Who knows how that would've been immortalized. Even bigger than a similar play of Santonio Holmes SB toe-tap TD topping Larry Fitzgerald's slant TD.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1

I remember the over inflation of his talent after that game more than the game itself.
Along with JJ Watt highlight, 2 for 2 Romo throws TD when Tyron Smith gets beat.

Tyron’s reaction to being frustrated with the drive and purposely forcing the action.

“Garrett called another All Hitch!?! Fuck that watch this.” :lol

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Along with JJ Watt highlight, 2 for 2 Romo throws TD when Tyron Smith gets beat.

Tyron’s reaction to being frustrated with the drive and purposely forcing the action.

“Garrett called another All Hitch!?! Fuck that watch this.” :lol
Watching that Demarco Murray run in that video just reminds me of how much fun he was to watch. He was actually a pretty damn good back here for a short period of time. I'd kill for a RB like that this season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watching that Demarco Murray run in that video just reminds me of how much fun he was to watch. He was actually a pretty damn good back here for a short period of time. I'd kill for a RB like that this season.
What? One that can fumble the ball and cost us a playoff game in Lambeau? I guess we already have some of those.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Had fucking Murray hung onto the ball, moot point.
You could easily say that about Hannah not recovering that fumble.

If he recovers, it makes Murray's fumble a moot point. In fact, I'd make the argument that was an even bigger missed opportunity than Murray's fumble.

And do you know why? Because on the ensuing Cowboys drive after the Murray fumble, we heavily leaned on him to the tune of another TD which gave us an 8 point lead. So it's not like the fumble killed us or as if the Cowboys just weren't the same after that.

If Hannah recovers that fumble on the ensuing kickoff, we're inside the Packers 20 with a chance to go up 11 or even 15 at a later stage in the game.

Between the two, if I could have either of those plays back, it's Hannah's failure to recover that ball.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I take his 2014 season over any other RB season post-Emmitt.

He was so dominant that year.

He wasn't a guy who had issues with fumbles throughout his career so it's really unfortunate that he was plagued so much by them in that particular year.

I loved how physical he was. He was perfect for that offensive line.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I loved how physical he was. He was perfect for that offensive line.
The passion he showed on that late TD vs Detroit in the 2014 playoffs was inspiring.

Then he had to ruin the ride with that ridiculous fumble the next week. He holds that ball (and almost certainly scores), we’re in Seattle the next week

Top Bottom