With better mechanics and a few new coaches, Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is finally putting it all together

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak is laying it down, in almost EVERY category. If he does it again this week vs Bellicik, he will enter MVP conversation with Lamar Jackson. And the contract numbers are growing with each 400+ yard passing performance
This game worries me a little bit. Dak has been doing a killer job reading defenses. The Pats will throw coverages at him that he has probably never seen before. I really hope Dak can continue to light it up and have confidence in his arm. But weather conditions combined with a defensive coach who knows how to tailor his defense to stop a player has me a little concerned that Dak could be in for a down performance. We will see but if Dak can continue on this pace against an elite defense it would be extremely impressive. I also wouldn't be upset with Dak if he doesn't light up a defense on historic pace.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And? You said Dak directly gave him credit for his improvement, which is 100% not true.
It's not just the mechanics although Dak is throwing the ball with more zip and accuracy than he ever has. He is also taking chances and seeing the field much better than he has in the past. I'd credit Kitna and Moore for that. We aren't running the same two basic pass routes on every play anymore. There are many more double moves and more complicated routes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think it's very unlikely that this game is going to have much of an impact on whether or not we win the division, with that in mind I'm going to just look at it as a bit of a measuring stick to see where Dak and the passing game is truly at.

I wouldn't complain much at all if he puts up a relatively pedestrian 20/30, 210 yards, 2 TD/1 INT performance.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Dude is starting to win me over. I’m not sure if teams are just trying to shit the run down and letting Dak get his looks where he wants them, or if this guy is doing this legitimately.

But, he’s starting to remind me of one of my all time favorite QBs, Warren Moon. Dak is going to fuck around and become a legitimate top 5 QB.

p1_

DCC 4Life
But, he’s starting to remind me of one of my all time favorite QBs, Warren Moon. Dak is going to fuck around and become a legitimate top 5 QB.
did you hear that Kitna said something very similar re: Dak and Moon?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
did you hear that Kitna said something very similar re: Dak and Moon?
I missed that, what did Kitna say?

p1_

DCC 4Life
I missed that, what did Kitna say?
"I'm just trying to give constant feedback of 'Hey, if we get this coverage you can move through your progressions fairly quickly, because unless they mess it up you're not going to get that throw'," Kitna said from OTAs, via DallasCowboys.com. "That kind of stuff, just from [me] playing the game and having the experience of it. We’re not going to come in here and try to revamp people, and you don’t need to with [Prescott]. I had a chance to play with Warren Moon my second and third years, and I feel like he throws the ball very similar to Warren.

"It’s one of the tightest spirals you’ll ever see. It's really just about him giving feedback about 'Hey, these are the things I need to work on.', and us finding the right drills to work on those things, day in and day out."

For the unenlightened, Moon is one of the best QBs to ever step onto a football field.

He not only earned a Pro Football Hall of Fame induction for his time in the NFL, but was also inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame for his play in the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos prior to signing with the Houston Oilers. Moon is a nine-time pro bowler with a list of awards and achievements, and any comparison to him is a hearty salute, and one Prescott will undoubtedly use to help push himself forward. As with many other legends, however, a Super Bowl victory eluded Moon his entire career, and that's a fate Kitna and the Cowboys are doing their best to avoid for Prescott as they continue to formulate the offense and coaching staff in a way that is most conducive to him winning games.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
"I'm just trying to give constant feedback of 'Hey, if we get this coverage you can move through your progressions fairly quickly, because unless they mess it up you're not going to get that throw'," Kitna said from OTAs, via DallasCowboys.com. "That kind of stuff, just from [me] playing the game and having the experience of it. We’re not going to come in here and try to revamp people, and you don’t need to with [Prescott]. I had a chance to play with Warren Moon my second and third years, and I feel like he throws the ball very similar to Warren.

"It’s one of the tightest spirals you’ll ever see. It's really just about him giving feedback about 'Hey, these are the things I need to work on.', and us finding the right drills to work on those things, day in and day out."

For the unenlightened, Moon is one of the best QBs to ever step onto a football field.

He not only earned a Pro Football Hall of Fame induction for his time in the NFL, but was also inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame for his play in the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos prior to signing with the Houston Oilers. Moon is a nine-time pro bowler with a list of awards and achievements, and any comparison to him is a hearty salute, and one Prescott will undoubtedly use to help push himself forward. As with many other legends, however, a Super Bowl victory eluded Moon his entire career, and that's a fate Kitna and the Cowboys are doing their best to avoid for Prescott as they continue to formulate the offense and coaching staff in a way that is most conducive to him winning games.
Very cool

Sheik

DCC 4Life

That is very cool. Moon threw such a pretty ball, and Dak, a large percentage of the time, also does.

Moon was something to watch, and Dak is shaping up to be a similar type of thrower, which is a huge compliment. It’s crazy to read Kitna’s take. I had forgotten that they played together in Seattle.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think it's very unlikely that this game is going to have much of an impact on whether or not we win the division, with that in mind I'm going to just look at it as a bit of a measuring stick to see where Dak and the passing game is truly at.

I wouldn't complain much at all if he puts up a relatively pedestrian 20/30, 210 yards, 2 TD/1 INT performance.
this Pats D should be a great test for Daks year 4 progress. They are the shit.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Observation from the Detroit game. Dak is really getting good with the arm angles, first on the TD to Pollard and then also on the Zeke score.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Observation from the Detroit game. Dak is really getting good with the arm angles, first on the TD to Pollard and then also on the Zeke score.
He is very Mahomes-esque in that manner.

Last edited:

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I am noticing that too. I remember Romo used to work on throwing from different platforms (which I believe means different body positions) and could only do it well late in his career. Mahomes can do it out of the gate. It's amazing. Just a fantastic athlete.

I think Dak is also a great athlete, not quite as quick as Mahomes but I think he'll be more durable. Also think Dak plays within himself really well and is at his best when the game is on the line. If we can get some coaching, no reason we can't with a SB with Dak.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Eh, Dak is playing great but he doesn't throw it like Moon. Moon is one of the greatest pure passers this game has ever seen. Dak is great about moving around, buying time, etc. and then finding someone but the pure beauty of the pass isn't there like with Moon.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eh, Dak is playing great but he doesn't throw it like Moon. Moon is one of the greatest pure passers this game has ever seen. Dak is great about moving around, buying time, etc. and then finding someone but the pure beauty of the pass isn't there like with Moon.
Moon could throw the ball a half damn mile. I've not seen a cannon like his since.

Top Bottom