With better mechanics and a few new coaches, Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is finally putting it all together

p1_

DCC 4Life
This is not the quarterback who burst onto the scene with the Cowboys three years ago.

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (4) with the ball during first half of an NFL football game against the Washington Redskins, Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019, in Landover, Md. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)(Evan Vucci / AP) By David Moore

FRISCO — Dak Prescott was sporting the blue workout shirt and gray practice shorts he often wears when addressing the media. But something looked different. It must have been the cowboy boots.

Prescott and punter Chris Jones got into a conversation about shoes on the flight back from Washington. When Jones learned the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys didn't own a pair of boots, well, he asked his teammate for a size and color scheme.

"Next thing you know, I got some boots," Prescott said.

Whether it's a blistering start that's beginning to alter the perception of who Dak Prescott is as a quarterback or his honky tonk footwear, change seems to be the theme these days. With a refined throwing motion, improved footwork and a new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, it's all coming together.

This is not the quarterback who burst onto the scene with the Cowboys three years ago. Put his throwing motion as a rookie next to what he's doing now, and the difference is dramatic.

"I'd say so," Prescott said Thursday. "Just look where my weight is.

The pass was on my front foot. It was heavy on my front foot. You saw my back foot leave the ground the majority of the time.

"It still does every now and then, I guess, depending on which throw it is. But if you look at it, it's more balanced throughout the throw."

Prescott trains with John Beck of 3DQB during the offseason. Beck is a former BYU quarterback who spent six years in the NFL. Tom House, the former Texas Rangers pitching coach, is also with 3DQB.

Athletic ability got Prescott to the NFL. He relied on his arm. Why not? That's what a quarterback uses to throw.

Prescott looks at it differently now. Pulling the shoulder as far back as he can and planting his back foot allows him to fire from his hips.

Breaking down the muscle and tightness in his torso, gaining more flexibility, allows him to twist and unwind with more force when his arm begins to move forward.

"For the most part, it's torque," Prescott said.

Cowboys quarterbacks coach Jon Kitna has stressed since joining the coaching staff earlier this year that Prescott's right foot and weight distribution are the keys. Kitna swears his arm strength and accuracy improved in his 11th year in the NFL because of what former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz taught him when Martz was the offensive coordinator in Detroit.

It's early, but Prescott is completing passes at an 82.3 percent clip to lead the NFL.

"A lot of it is just the work I've done in the offseason with the guys that I train with, then putting on top of that the footwork, just how demanding Kit is and the things he wants and expects of a quarterback," Prescott said. "I mean it all comes in together.

"And then when you're calling plays that are comfortable for me, it allows all of that to tie in together. Allows me to go out there and play free and rip the ball."

The plays Prescott refers to are being called by first-year coordinator Kellen Moore.

The results are striking to open this season. But Prescott will tell you this all began to click near the end of last season. There were a few throws he made during the playoffs that underscored his progress.

"That's definitely my body," Prescott remembers thinking to himself. "All the training I'm doing is paying off.

"To have another offseason of it and then a spring and getting into training camp, it's definitely working.

"I'm sure there are some things I implemented that are different. But for the most part it was just work, putting in those hours of breaking old habits and making a new habit when it comes to throwing the ball."
That included countless repetition.

Have you seen people practice their golf swings in public with no clubs? That's what Prescott will do with his throwing motion. He does it constantly when walking around his home, leaving him to wonder what his dogs think.

Now, he can do it while wearing cowboy boots.

"I've learned over the last year, year-and-a-half I guess, how to use my lower body," Prescott said. "How to use everything from the ankle all the way up to the torque of my body, and allowing that all to make the ball to come out easy, free flowing.

"It's definitely paying off."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dak has made amazing progress. Last year at this time I felt he was about the 20th best QB and I was ready to move on. Now, he may he a top 8 or better guy. It's almost night and day. Kudos to Dak for getting much, much better.

I certainly think the addition of Cooper helped, but I don't think it's that simple. Plenty of bad QBs have a had good WRs and still looked bad. It's like a light bulb went on for Dak. I think a lot of Dak's improvements have been through coaching and hard work, and it's pretty great to see.

p1_

DCC 4Life

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
[h=1]Todd Archer ESPN Staff Writer[/h] Dak Prescott puts “75 percent,” of his increased accuracy on his improved mechanics over the last year, but it has more to do with his core than his arm action. By working with John Beck at 3DQB, Prescott is using more torque to pull through on his passes. Prescott said a picture of him throwing in 2016 to now would show a difference. Just look where my weight is. I was on my front foot,” Prescott said. “It was heavy on my front foot. You saw my back foot leave the ground the majority of the time vs. now. It still does every now and then, I guess, depending on which throw it is. But if you look at it, it's more balanced throughout the throws.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Todd Archer ESPN Staff Writer[/h] Dak Prescott puts “75 percent,” of his increased accuracy on his improved mechanics over the last year, but it has more to do with his core than his arm action. By working with John Beck at 3DQB, Prescott is using more torque to pull through on his passes. Prescott said a picture of him throwing in 2016 to now would show a difference. Just look where my weight is. I was on my front foot,” Prescott said. “It was heavy on my front foot. You saw my back foot leave the ground the majority of the time vs. now. It still does every now and then, I guess, depending on which throw it is. But if you look at it, it's more balanced throughout the throws.”
Jon. Kitna.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A"I've learned over the last year, year-and-a-half I guess, how to use my lower body," Prescott said. "How to use everything from the ankle all the way up to the torque of my body, and allowing that all to make the ball to come out easy, free flowing.

Kitna has only been working with Dak for a short time. He joined the Cowboys as QB coach in May and I don’t know when he started working with Dak. According to Dak over the last year and half he learned how to use his lower body for torque. That was under Beck.

That what I got from it.

Cotton

Staff member
A"I've learned over the last year, year-and-a-half I guess, how to use my lower body," Prescott said. "How to use everything from the ankle all the way up to the torque of my body, and allowing that all to make the ball to come out easy, free flowing.

Kitna has only been working with Dak for a short time. He joined the Cowboys as QB coach in May and I don’t know when he started working with Dak. According to Dak over the last year and half he learned how to use his lower body for torque. That was under Beck.

That what I got from it.
That was also under Kitna. Nothing in that blurb i quoted indicates Dak giving credit to Beck. Not one thing. Oh, and not one single thing in whatever quote this is you found indicates that either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
John Beck is in the info you initially posted.

Cotton

Staff member
John Beck is in the info you initially posted.
And? You said Dak directly gave him credit for his improvement, which is 100% not true.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I didn’t quote a percentage and since Dak was talking about the improvement he noted a term of 18 months and increased accuracy of 75%. John Beck was noted in these comments. Kitna has only been around a short time so I don’t know who else he was referring to Jon Beck. Eithe way it just my read.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I think Kitna has been a god send for Dak's mechanics.
I really like Kitna and was wanting him hired for years, I suspect he's helped Dak in more ways than the mechanics as well

deadrise

DCC 4Life
It was me. I sent Dak 8mm film my dad shot of me throwing passes in the backyard. My mechanics were flawless. Dak has not acknowledged this of course, but I hardly expect him to.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I really like Kitna and was wanting him hired for years, I suspect he's helped Dak in more ways than the mechanics as well
I'm sure he did as well. Dak in this particular article seemed to be discussing the mechanics that lead to his accuracy and attributed it over the last 18 months. He spoke of John Beck by name so I took the article to read about what Dak seemed to say about him for this particular aspect of his improvement.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dak is laying it down, in almost EVERY category. If he does it again this week vs Bellicik, he will enter MVP conversation with Lamar Jackson. And the contract numbers are growing with each 400+ yard passing performance

Top Bottom