Whitlock: NFL Blame Dak's Agent — Not Jerry Jones — For Dak's Contract Predicament

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Did we ever confirm how much we offered him and for how many years?
I haven't heard a solid dollar amount but I want to say it was in the $35 - $40 million dollar range.

The beat writers have said the Cowboys have offered a 5 year deal but Dak and his agent are insisting on a shorter contract. That's been the biggest sticking point as far as I can tell.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
To me the criticism would be for not getting it done during the 2019 season.

It definitely would have been a huge advantage to be able to tack onto that final year of low salary from the rookie deal to spread out the cap hit.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Of course they say that today, but the reality his value may vary greatly in either direction based on how well the team performs without him.
it would be so ironic if Dalton played really well to the point that there is a question as to whether Dak maintains his preferred/starter status. You know, kinda like Dak did to Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
it would be so ironic if Dalton played really well to the point that there is a question as to whether Dak maintains his preferred/starter status. You know, kinda like Dak did to Romo.
While Dalton's age makes that situation all but impossible, it definitely will diminish Dak's value to the team if Dalton comes in and tears it up. Especially if he wins games doing so.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
While Dalton's age makes that situation all but impossible, it definitely will diminish Dak's value to the team if Dalton comes in and tears it up. Especially if he wins games doing so.
We kinda got a taste of this before. Kitna was older but he did come in and arguably played better than Romo in 2010.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not to be shitty, but I doubt it.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ok, so Dalton isn’t Dak. Who remembers how Steve Beuerlein did in Aikmans place? Dalton is comparable to Beuerlein I’d say.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ok, so Dalton isn’t Dak. Who remembers how Steve Beuerlein did in Aikmans place? Dalton is comparable to Beuerlein I’d say.
Beuerlein rediscovered Michael Irvin at a point Aikman had begun to lean on Novacek a little too much.

Hard to tell whether Dalton might similarly help improve the development of certain parts of the offense or just be a caretaker.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Beuerlein rediscovered Michael Irvin at a point Aikman had begun to lean on Novacek a little too much.

Hard to tell whether Dalton might similarly help improve the development of certain parts of the offense or just be a caretaker.
depends on the level of trust MM and KM have in Dalton. What will they feel comfortable asking him to do? Youve got a great running back and a great set of receivers. We lay it all at Daks feet for him to feast, Dalton could thrive possibly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Jerry totally forgot about Beuerlein.

Instead he referenced Kosar.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Todd France is an arrogant prick who screwed a lot of other big name players out of long terms deals this offseason. Considering the pandemic kicked off in March, he’s an idiot. You don’t have to be Ron Wolf to have surmised there would be salary cap implications as a result.

If this were just some ho hum team in terms of offensive talent and social standing, the reticence to hold out for the deal he wanted would have made more sense. Especially with the amount of bad tape that’s out there on Dak when he isn’t surrounded with a surplus of talent. I lay the blame squarely at his feet, as the numbers that were rumored to be floated towards him were more than favorable, considering what he has and hasn’t accomplished thus far in his career.

Not signing due to the extra year was beyond stupid of him. It’s not like he’s in the twilight of his career. He is a young player who in today’s game has at least two more extensions in front of him. So to turn down the reported 100 mil guaranteed over one season is just asinine in my opinion. Ultimately he has no one to blame but himself, and regardless of record, if Dalton wins the division and steals a playoff game, Dak’s leverage is essentially out the window, considering he would have accomplished as much as Prescott, and it’s not like we were 4-0 with him. Though I attribute pretty much zero blame to Dak for our record up to this point.

In essence, Dak was led by overly greedy representation. This is is especially true when you really take a look at the Mahomes deal, and how it’s beyond team friendly, considering what he has accomplished.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Todd France is an arrogant prick who screwed a lot of other big name players out of long terms deals this offseason. Considering the pandemic kicked off in March, he’s an idiot. You don’t have to be Ron Wolf to have surmised there would be salary cap implications as a result.

If this were just some ho hum team in terms of offensive talent and social standing, the reticence to hold out for the deal he wanted would have made more sense. Especially with the amount of bad tape that’s out there on Dak when he isn’t surrounded with a surplus of talent. I lay the blame squarely at his feet, as the numbers that were rumored to be floated towards him were more than favorable, considering what he has and hasn’t accomplished thus far in his career.

Not signing due to the extra year was beyond stupid of him. It’s not like he’s in the twilight of his career. He is a young player who in today’s game has at least two more extensions in front of him. So to turn down the reported 100 mil guaranteed over one season is just asinine in my opinion. Ultimately he has no one to blame but himself, and regardless of record, if Dalton wins the division and steals a playoff game, Dak’s leverage is essentially out the window, considering he would have accomplished as much as Prescott, and it’s not like we were 4-0 with him. Though I attribute pretty much zero blame to Dak for our record up to this point.

In essence, Dak was led by overly greedy representation. This is is especially true when you really take a look at the Mahomes deal, and how it’s beyond team friendly, considering what he has accomplished.
So...tell me how you feel about Todd France.

shane

DCC 4Life
Yeah Dalton has the tools to come in and have success. He was pretty good before the Cincy team fell apart, which wasn't really his fault. It was more the poor coaching and headcases on defense that ruined that team.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

data

Forbes #1
Sounds like we need a pole for predicting Dalton's QB Rating.

Top Bottom