What on earth happened to the Cowboys offense and Dak Prescott? Decoding Kellen Moore

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well I have to say I didn't see a lot of rolling coverages against the Giants. What I did see was an offensive line that could run block but played like dogshit in pass pro. Against a team that has struggled to rush the passer. The Giants Lorenzo Carter got their first and second sacks of the year. Then Prescott's footwork looked terrible. I'm guessing the two issues are intertwined.

Man this would be terrible if we waste this incredibly promising season on a slumping QB. :mad:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Well I have to say I didn't see a lot of rolling coverages against the Giants. What I did see was an offensive line that could run block but played like dogshit in pass pro. Against a team that has struggled to rush the passer. The Giants Lorenzo Carter got their first and second sacks of the year. Then Prescott's footwork looked terrible. I'm guessing the two issues are intertwined.

Man this would be terrible if we waste this incredibly promising season on a slumping QB. :mad:
He doesn't trust the line, which leads to happy feet. And when the line holds up, he makes a shitty pass. Or he makes a good pass that's dropped. Totally discombobulated at the moment.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Its not a slump as we have been told.

ZeroClub

UFA
He doesn't trust the line, which leads to happy feet. And when the line holds up, he makes a shitty pass. Or he makes a good pass that's dropped. Totally discombobulated at the moment.
To me, the main problem has been that defenses are dropping back, clogging it up and making it tough to identify an open receiver. When the reads aren't good, Dak doesn't know where he's going with the ball and his feet start moving.

Dak doesn't have a problem with pressure so much. He'd prefer that teams blitz him. He generally handles that situation well, which is why teams aren't doing it so much now.

Yeah, those drops really do hurt when they happen.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To me, the main problem has been that defenses are dropping back, clogging it up and making it tough to identify an open receiver. When the reads aren't good, Dak doesn't know where he's going with the ball and his feet start moving.

Dak doesn't have a problem with pressure so much. He'd prefer that teams blitz him. He generally handles that situation well, which is why teams aren't doing it so much now.

Yeah, those drops really do hurt when they happen.
He started out his career really efficient in the short passing game though, I feel like the overarching issue is that we've been slow to adjust schematically and kind of just fell in love with what we were in the first half of the year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He started out his career really efficient in the short passing game though, I feel like the overarching issue is that we've been slow to adjust schematically and kind of just fell in love with what we were in the first half of the year.
The WR screens seem to be our attempt at a counter and we are awful at then.

ZeroClub

UFA
I think you are right about falling in love with the first half of the year. I'm glad to see that they are making adjustments.

A young Zeke paired with that insanely good OL made things easier for young Dak, as you know. Dak has it in him to be efficient with the short passing game, no doubt, but it is a tougher assignment now than it was back then.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Random observation, Lamb was the main fuck-up on the Dak fumble. There was no way he was supposed to be able to get to Dak rolling out of the pocket that quickly but Lamb half-assed the block and didn't really make any attempt to maintain contact.

Dak needed maybe 1/2 a second more to get rid of the ball, and perhaps his mental clock should've been ringing, but Lamb's half-assed block was the main problem.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Random observation, Lamb was the main fuck-up on the Dak fumble. There was no way he was supposed to be able to get to Dak rolling out of the pocket that quickly but Lamb half-assed the block and didn't really make any attempt to maintain contact.

Dak needed maybe 1/2 a second more to get rid of the ball, and perhaps his mental clock should've been ringing, but Lamb's half-assed block was the main problem.
Yeah I mean Dak had no way of seeing him but I would have liked for him to realize the guy is probably still hot on his trail.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Dak used to penalize teams whose d-line left gaps as they rushed the passer. He'd squirt through and pick up 6, 8, 10 yards. Do that maybe three, four, five times a game. Kept defenses honest. They had to defend the run, the pass, and Dak. Of late, he hasn't done that.

Running game doesn't scare teams like it did. Dak's turned into a pocket passer. Keep two safeties deep, jam the WRs and suddenly Dak's not the weapon he once was.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dak used to penalize teams whose d-line left gaps as they rushed the passer. He'd squirt through and pick up 6, 8, 10 yards. Do that maybe three, four, five times a game. Kept defenses honest. They had to defend the run, the pass, and Dak. Of late, he hasn't done that.

Running game doesn't scare teams like it did. Dak's turned into a pocket passer. Keep two safeties deep, jam the WRs and suddenly Dak's not the weapon he once was.
they know hes not gonna take off. Like you said, takes away a weapon.

Top Bottom