Ways to raise money

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have been thinking of ways to raise money for the DCC. We have talked about using the podcast and I'm hoping that pans out. Another thing I was thinking we might be able to do is auction off items. As most of you know me and the wife do woodworking. Well, we have also recently gotten into laser burning/engraving. We are just now really kinda getting it figured out. This pic below is one of our test boards. I think we have it figured out. We can make any sign with any design. I am thinking Cowboys related, obviously. But, we would be happy to do them and donate them for sale here. You guys always donate but at least this way you would get something out of it.

I will post another pic once we get this cutting board is done.

Thoughts? I am definitely open to other ideas.

Cotton.jpg

Cotton

Staff member
We are about to finish this cutting board and then do a Landry silhouette.

Cotton

Staff member
Here is one we did with a negative looking image. We basically painted it and then burned the paint off. Keep in mind, these are early test tries. We are slowly getting better.

Cotton2.jpg

Cotton

Staff member
Landry is next. This one will take a bit.

Cotton

Staff member
Because it's a silhouette, the Landry one will take 8 hours. Holy fuck.

It's running.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe this was a stupid idea.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Garage sale makes more sense. I could use a good pair of binoculars. :unsure

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Those are cool, man. I didn't get at first that you were wanting us to buy them.

What kind of laser machine does that?

How much would one have to donate to get, say, the world's first Dorance Armstrong cutting board?

Cotton

Staff member
Those are cool, man. I didn't get at first that you were wanting us to buy them.

What kind of laser machine does that?

How much would one have to donate to get, say, the world's first Dorance Armstrong cutting board?
I'm not wanting you to buy them for my benefit. All of the money would come back to the board. Just trying to think of a way we can raise some money without having to ask for donations (which we will have to do in the next months).

But, we can put a big ass "92" on a cutting board for you.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The Landry one looks good but that wide, darker wood grain decreases the contrast too.

I've done some wood burning but never laser engraving, how deep does it penetrate or is it just etched on the surface? That might affect the appearance of it as a cutting board long term.

I'm guessing it's computerized so you can add different fonts, etcetera? You could try something like the team logo, maybe one with retired numbers or names if you can find a font similar to the one the team uses. I've done that on the computer for graphics.

You'll get the hang of it, new tools always have a learning curve.

Cotton

Staff member
The Landry one looks good but that wide, darker wood grain decreases the contrast too.
I just used a scrap piece of plywood I had. We are still trying to determine the best type of wood to use. Cedar is awesome, but expensive.

I've done some wood burning but never laser engraving, how deep does it penetrate or is it just etched on the surface? That might affect the appearance of it as a cutting board long term.
It penetrates about 1/64th of an inch.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I just used a scrap piece of plywood I had. We are still trying to determine the best type of wood to use. Cedar is awesome, but expensive.

It penetrates about 1/64th of an inch.
Gotcha, it kind of looked like construction grade plywood.

You would need a good thick finish for it as a cutting board then. I've worked with cedar and beyond being expensive it's pretty soft.

Instead of a cutting board, how about just as a decorative wall hanging? You could use about any type of wood or finish and just tack a hanger on the back. A lot of purists don't like to use stain but I've used tinted stains for decorative Notre Dame wood intarsia in the past.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I’ve played around with a few lasers, the latest being the xTool laser. The problem with the hobbyist level lasers are they just aren’t powerful enough to really etch harder materials. Then to compound things they are slow.

That being said I like where you are going with it.

Top Bottom