Watson for Dak?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
No. Just no.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Houston is gonna want to start over with a young QB they won't have to pay for a few years. That ain't Dak.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No.

He's a good QB. A really good QB, in fact. I just don't think he's a great QB, as a lot of people seem to think.

data

Forbes #1
How does Dak’s status work — any team is free to negotiate with Dak and Cowboys have ability to come over the top? Or Dak signs elsewhere and he’s gone? Or do the Cowboys have sole negotiation rights until a deadline?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is dumb. No damn way.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
How does Dak’s status work — any team is free to negotiate with Dak and Cowboys have ability to come over the top? Or Dak signs elsewhere and he’s gone? Or do the Cowboys have sole negotiation rights until a deadline?
He's an UFA and is able to sign anywhere he wants, but if the Cowboys tender the franchisee tag, Dak has 2 options:

1. Sign it and play (or get traded)
2. Don't sign it and sit out the season

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
You'd be paying Watson per year about what you would pay Dak plus would likely have to throw in a draft pick, for a similar caliber QB compared to what you already have.
May I ask why? Oh, Mike Fisher wrote this piece? That explains it.
Rather stick with Dak.
The ONLY alternative that would even be worth discussing would be making a move for Stafford if Dak's price gets too high.
Mainly because Stafford is on a pretty cheap two year deal and never had much to work with besides Megatron.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Houston probably aren’t trading Watson at all, and they certainly ain’t trading him for Dak.

Houston, already 17m over the cap, would eat 21 million in cap space and Dallas would have a really good QB at a bargain price signed through 2025. Dallas would only take a cap hit of 10m in 2021 and they’d have the 5 year deal they wanted.

It’s a crazy bargain for any trade partner at Houston’s expense.

Dallas would have to sign Dak to trade him, and I guess they could work something creative where they share the cap hit of Daks deal since the Cowboys are clearly getting a financial windfall otherwise.

But why would Houston pay insane money to Dak for four years when they could just trade Watson to the Jets and draft Justin Fields for a much lower salary? Or better yet, just keep Watson?

Why would Dak do it? Dak would be fucked with average OL, no WR, upset JJ Watt, and a seemingly over the hill Johnson at RB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would not sign Dak until he can display whether he is fully recovered from his ankle injury. It could turn out to be another Jaylon Smith affair.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I would not sign Dak until he can display whether he is fully recovered from his ankle injury. It could turn out to be another Jaylon Smith affair.
Would you tag him or let him hit the market?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I've never understood the Dak going away talk. The Joneses love him. He isn't going anywhere unless he wants to, and I can't imagine why he'd want to do that.

Top Bottom