Watkins: Tony Romo and Dez Bryant in a good groove

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It was designed running play that Romo and Dez decided to freelance with Porter was doing a run blitz and stopped once he saw Romo passing.

So no Romo did not save his ass to get in front Porter he would have had to run a 1 yard slant route. :lol
I wasn't in the huddle, so I couldn't tell you. Watch Romos eyes the entire time in the video above. That did not even for a second look like a run play. He was going to throw the slant. You don't do a lot of looking when you throw a slant as a QB. You let that one go on the pump and it's a pick.

I guess Irvin is an idiot, huh?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think the man like many in the media is quick to judge and part of the group that is anxious to be perceived as some kind of mentor to Dez. That shit is so last year's story. Dez has grown up quite a bit the last two years, and if I were him I'd be sick of people who don't know what they're talking about telling me what to do. Irvin is not privy to the Cowboys offense and how they adjust their plays.

I also don't know if that play was a run or not, but if Porter had actually meant to stop the slant, then he moved too soon and over-committed. Porter's proximity to the line made it impossible to cut across him. Because he made his move so early, Romo had plenty of time to pull up and throw to Dez running a deeper slant into the vacated middle of the field.

Had Porter timed his move better, then the right move would be to beat him to the spot before the ball arrived. No slant pattern, timing or not, is thrown blind. The QB's first job is to check coverages, and Porter obviously had that passing lane blocked.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There is no indication it was run play. Romo immediately dropped back, pumped once then threw the ball. One would have to be in the huddle to know if a run play was called.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no indication it was run play. Romo immediately dropped back, pumped once then threw the ball. One would have to be in the huddle to know if a run play was called.
I'm not sure what the hell our LT is doing on that play though. I mean why is he pulling to the right?

With that being said I'm not sure why we are assuming this wasn't something that Bryant and Romo planned to do in terms of a pass play. They may have seen something tipping them off and communicated it properly with each other. Not much different that that sluggo route that I can never get to work properly in NCAA Football. Basically fake the slant and then run deep behind the defender.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I wasn't in the huddle, so I couldn't tell you. Watch Romos eyes the entire time in the video above. That did not even for a second look like a run play. He was going to throw the slant. You don't do a lot of looking when you throw a slant as a QB. You let that one go on the pump and it's a pick.

Did you miss the part where I said Romo and Dez did something different than what was called, Romo said as much after the game.

If you look at the line they are run blocking and why does Irvin have to be an idiot maybe he did not know what Romo and Dez were trying to do on that play.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not sure what the hell our LT is doing on that play though. I mean why is he pulling to the right?

With that being said I'm not sure why we are assuming this wasn't something that Bryant and Romo planned to do in terms of a pass play. They may have seen something tipping them off and communicated it properly with each other. Not much different that that sluggo route that I can never get to work properly in NCAA Football. Basically fake the slant and then run deep behind the defender.
Romo said they communicated something while on the line of scrimmage I wonder if the 0-line got the signal mixed up and that's why one guy pulled I think it was supposed to be a draw play.

Top Bottom