Watkins: Durant, Sims competing for a starting job

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Durant, Sims competing for a starting job

August, 12, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- One thing emerged after the Cowboys' second preseason game: There is a competition for one of the outside linebacker spots between projected starter Justin Durant and veteran backup Ernie Sims.

Both players received snaps with the first-team defense in Sunday's practice until Sims suffered a groin injury.

"We're trying to find exactly what we're going to do with a pair and a spare," Cowboys linebackers coach Matt Eberflus said. "That's what we're doing. There's always going to be competition. I got four good guys that I feel really good about. Then I got some younger guys that are still competing and working hard on special teams and all that. It's important we find the right balance and the right mix for our depth through the entire season."

If you're wondering what's a pair and a spare, Eberflus is seeking the best combination of players to "pair" with starters Sean Lee and Bruce Carter at the strongside linebacker position. The "spare" would be the backup at that position.

When camp started, Durant got the most snaps with the first-team, and he was the lone starter to play in the Hall of Fame Game. He also started the Raiders game, but Sims received significant snaps, too. Sims has played in the Tampa 2 scheme before, so his comfort level helps him.

The competition at strongside linebacker is a surprise given the team signed Durant this offseason and Sims was expected to battle for a roster spot and contribute on special teams to get it.

"You got to do it as a coach," Eberflus said. "You got to make sure you're getting the right combination of players practicing at the right positions."

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Sims has been an excellent scrap-heap pick-up. At the time (we signed him), I did not think it would amount to much.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ernie Sims sees starting job in his grasp

August, 14, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. – Ernie Sims arrived at training camp with a modest goal: Make the team.

Sims started thinking much bigger after making a bunch of plays in the early part of camp. He’s shooting for the starting job at strongside linebacker now.

Sims, an eight-year veteran who signed with the Cowboys when Sean Lee went on injured reserve last season, has made it a legitimate competition with free-agent addition Justin Durant. Sims played a series with Lee and Bruce Carter in the Oakland game and was getting first-team reps when he strained his groin during Monday’s practice.

“It’s kind of unfortunate that I tweaked my groin, but you can bet your last dollar that when I get back out here I’m going to keep fighting,” said Sims, who isn’t expected to play this weekend in Arizona.

“I can see it in my grasp. I think it’s reachable. The coaches are giving me a lot of praise. Before I tweaked my groin, they were working me into the starting position. I’m excited about that, and I’m just eager to get on the field.”

The Cowboys aren’t discouraged about Durant, a productive starter in Jacksonville and Detroit before coming to Dallas. They just like what they’ve seen from Sims, a former first-round pick for the Lions who has extensive experience in this scheme.

"He comes to work every day and he has ability,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He can run. He can make plays on defense. He’s played in this scheme before and he’s very comfortable in it. So we thought he was a real contributor to our football team last year when we had so many injuries to come in and play such a significant role and he just continued that in the offseason, embracing the new system, something he’s played in, and you can see that."

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Ernie Sims sees starting job in his grasp

August, 14, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. – Ernie Sims arrived at training camp with a modest goal: Make the team.

Sims started thinking much bigger after making a bunch of plays in the early part of camp. He’s shooting for the starting job at strongside linebacker now.

Sims, an eight-year veteran who signed with the Cowboys when Sean Lee went on injured reserve last season, has made it a legitimate competition with free-agent addition Justin Durant. Sims played a series with Lee and Bruce Carter in the Oakland game and was getting first-team reps when he strained his groin during Monday’s practice.

“It’s kind of unfortunate that I tweaked my groin, but you can bet your last dollar that when I get back out here I’m going to keep fighting,” said Sims, who isn’t expected to play this weekend in Arizona.

“I can see it in my grasp. I think it’s reachable. The coaches are giving me a lot of praise. Before I tweaked my groin, they were working me into the starting position. I’m excited about that, and I’m just eager to get on the field.”

The Cowboys aren’t discouraged about Durant, a productive starter in Jacksonville and Detroit before coming to Dallas. They just like what they’ve seen from Sims, a former first-round pick for the Lions who has extensive experience in this scheme.

"He comes to work every day and he has ability,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He can run. He can make plays on defense. He’s played in this scheme before and he’s very comfortable in it. So we thought he was a real contributor to our football team last year when we had so many injuries to come in and play such a significant role and he just continued that in the offseason, embracing the new system, something he’s played in, and you can see that."
No one tell Jerry we have four starting caliber LBs...he may want to switch to the 3-4

Top Bottom