Watkins: DeMarco Murray deals with the running game

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarco Murray deals with the running game
December, 17, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The morning after the two interception fourth quarter and the questions why the running game disappeared, the man who is given the ball to run, DeMarco Murray, got up and visited a hospital.

Sporting a beard that Santa would love, Murray visited Scottish Rite Hospital for Children to sign autographs, pose for pictures and visit hospital rooms.

The visits gave Murray a pause from the reality of his world: He's frustrated. He's angry. He's everything that says mad.

Murray won't admit this and he declined to speak to reporters after the Cowboys' 37-36 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday and despite talking briefly to the media on Monday morning, he didn't talk football.

But you could tell in his face, he's not happy. If he played Santa, he would be grumpy Santa.

"Yeah, yeah. You think about (Sunday) and you are mad about that, and then as soon as you step here, you totally forget about it," he said. "It's the last thing that crosses your mind. Just knowing what these kids are going through on a daily basis, how much fight they have, just makes you look up to them."

While Dez Bryant walked to the locker room to hide his tears, frustrated at how the Cowboys' lost, Murray probably wanted to go somewhere, too. He rushed 18 times for 134 yards. He caught four passes for 19 yards, targeted seven times. He produced a wonderful day for the Cowboys.

It got lost. Or it got forgotten.

The Cowboys ran the ball just seven times in the second half despite holding a lead they treated like weeds in the front lawn. The Cowboys played, or rather called a game, not to lose.

Murray wants to win and prove something to some people, maybe at Valley Ranch, or maybe outside of Valley Ranch.

In the fourth quarter after the Cowboys saw their lead dwindle to 29-24, Murray carried the ball just twice. But Dallas pushed the lead to 36-24 and with the defense falling apart, allowed another score to bring the deficit to five, Murray carried the ball just one more time.

That's right one more time.

He was scheduled to get a carry on a second-and-six, but quarterback Tony Romo didn't like the defensive look and changed the play as if it were the second quarter instead of the final one where the clock needed to be chewed up. Romo changed the play to a quick pass and instead of Murray running into seven or eight defenders he watched as the quarterback threw an interception.

Murray storms off the field and takes off his helmet yelling.

That's the only outwardly expression Murray showed you on Sunday that leads you to believe he didn't like the decision or the result of the decision. When the game was over, Murray didn't storm out the locker room, he causally walked out the back door and declined to talk about what just happened.

Does Murray have a right to be upset?

He's battled discussions he's not durable enough to play, he missed two games with a sprained knee, increasing the talk he can't survive a 16-game season.

Murray might not play 16 games, but he's on the verge of reaching 1,000 yards for the first time in his career. Murray needs just 23 rushing yards, something he should get in Landover, Md., on Sunday afternoon, to become the first running back to hit 1,000 since Julius Jones did it in 2006.

Murray should be upset. He's turned into a fighter, someone who Bryant wants on his side.

If the Cowboys are going to do anything this season, and they have two games remaining, Murray needs the ball more often.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since 2006. Hmm. What changed after 2006? I can't remember. :tippytoe

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Emmitt would be 'so mad' if in Murray's shoes
December, 17, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Emmitt Smith never had to worry about getting the ball when the Dallas Cowboys were protecting a late lead in his day.

That was a big part of the ‘90s dynasty teams' personality. They'd build a lead with a balanced offense and slam the door shut smash-mouth style, hammering away with a back who would eventually break the NFL's all-time rushing record running behind a dominant offensive line.

But Smith can imagine how DeMarco Murray felt Sunday afternoon, when he was an afterthought while the Cowboys' 23-point lead crumbled despite averaging 7.4 yards on his 18 carries.

“Oh, I'd be hot.” Smith said Monday afternoon during an appearance at the Best Buy Ultimate Gamers Showdown at AT&T Stadium. “Oh, I'd be so mad. I really would be extremely mad.

“And I'm mad just thinking about how we lost the game. Notice I said we lost the game. It's not like Green Bay took it from us. We actually gave them a chance to come back and play.”

Murray rushed for 134 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries in the loss to the Green Bay Packers, but only seven of those carries came in the second half.

The Cowboys abandonment of the run left Murray biting his lip and Packers defenders publicly expressing their appreciation for Dallas' poor play-calling. But that's the personality of the current Cowboys.

It was one thing to be so pass-happy last season, when the Cowboys were a poor running team. That isn't the case now. The Cowboys consistently give up on a good running game.

Dallas is tied for fourth in the league in yards per carry (4.6) but ranks second to last in rushing attempts this season. Since the start of November, the Cowboys have the highest yards-per-carry average (5.9) and fewest rushing attempts (20.2 per game). Murray is averaging 6.3 yards per carry in that span but hasn't had more than 18 carries in any of the six games.

“At the end of the day, you've got to be able to run the football,” Smith said. “You have to if you want to go anywhere. Yeah, throwing the ball is great. It looks good, it's fun, you can market your players, your quarterback.

“But I always go back to the fundamental question: What does it take to win? Who are the winningest organizations in the history of the game and what style of football did they play?”

Smith stressed the importance of culture to successful franchises. That's a term that Jason Garrett emphasizes consistently, but Smith can't see an identifiable culture established by his former teammate, who is in his third full season as the Cowboys' head coach.

“I don't know. I'm looking for it,” Smith said. “I know it's different than what we used to have. That much, I do know.”

superpunk

Banned
Maybe he could try not dropping passes late in games to deal with his frustration.

Top Bottom