Watkins - Carter's Benching Explained

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The benching of Bruce Carter is explained

November, 3, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- In a surprise move, the Dallas Cowboys' Ernie Sims started in the base defense over Bruce Carter as the weakside linebacker against the Minnesota Vikingson Sunday.

However, after Sims struggled to make several tackles in the first half, Carter started in the base defense in the second half.

"I'm just trying to find the best combination for our football team at that position," linebackers coach Matt Eberflus said. "I'm still working that out. You got first down, you got second down and you got third down. Both of them have different things they bring to the table in terms of helping our football team, and we're going to work that combination during the course of the game and see what the best thing is for us to win."

Carter finished with six tackles and Sims with three. It's hard to say who took the lead, or if the rotation should continue, but coach Jason Garrett explained why Carter didn't at least start.

"He responded really well, really well," Garrett said. "He practiced this week, and you know Ernie got the start and Ernie played a lot in this ballgame, but Bruce got his chanced and he made some plays in this game. The best part about him is his demeanor and his spirit. We saw a little of Bruce Carter out there today, which is good. Flying around, making plays, having an impact on the game. He did a really good job."

Carter didn't make his first appearance until the Vikings attempted a field goal with about 2:08 to play in the first quarter. Before he entered the game, Sean Lee and Sims were the nickle linebackers.

In the first half, Sims missed two tackles on Adrian Peterson, who rushed for 140 yards on 25 carries. In the second half, Carter made a tackle on Peterson, causing a one-yard loss

"It's all based on combinations," Eberflus said. "I have two solid players, they're both trying to play better, they're still working and they're working their ass off, and we'll find the best combination."

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
. . . but coach Jason Garrett explained why Carter didn't at least start.

"He responded really well, really well," Garrett said. "He practiced this week, and you know Ernie got the start and Ernie played a lot in this ballgame, but Bruce got his chanced and he made some plays in this game. The best part about him is his demeanor and his spirit. We saw a little of Bruce Carter out there today, which is good. Flying around, making plays, having an impact on the game. He did a really good job."
That's a game report not an explanation why Carter didn't start. I don't know why they have to sugar coat everything and tiptoe over these grown men's delicate feelings. Just say Carter wasn't getting it done and they wanted to give Sims a shot. It's the truth and maybe it helps motivate Carter to get his shit together.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ernie Sims gets start, but Bruce Carter shines off bench

Ernie Sims made his second start of the season in place of Bruce Carter against the Vikings on Sunday, and it didn’t go too well. Sims had a couple rough series in trying to contain Adrian Peterson and the Vikings’ running game.

Sims and Carter were alternating series most of the game, and it’s not too surprising Sims got the start. Coach Jason Garrett praised Sims earlier in the week for his work ethic, while Carter has gone through an up-and-down season.

“Ernie got the start and Ernie played a lot in this ballgame, but Bruce got his chances and he made some plays in this game,” Garrett said. “The best part about him is his demeanor and his spirit. We saw a little of Bruce Carter out there today, which is good. Flying around, making plays, having an impact on the game. He did a really good job.”

Sims finished with three tackles, while Carter had six.

-- Drew Davison

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Carter is the better player, but he needs to get his head in the game and play like he is capable of at all times.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am still baffled how Ponder got by Sims to score that TD...horrid play by him.

Cotton

Staff member

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Carter: Reason for benching 'wasn't legit'
November, 4, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Why did Bruce Carter lose his starting job at linebacker? He’s apparently the wrong guy to ask.

Carter said the coaches gave him a reason, but he couldn’t remember exactly what it was.

“To be honest, I really don’t even know,” Carter said Monday, admitting that he was frustrated by his diminished role. “It really wasn’t legit. It is what it is.”

Carter’s playing time originally got cut during a poor performance in the Week 4 loss to the San Diego Chargers, when he was burned twice by running back Danny Woodhead for touchdown catches. He sat almost the entire fourth quarter in that game and played only 41 of 81 snaps the following week.

However, Carter returned to a full-time role the next two games, only to have his playing time reduced again the past two weeks. He hardly played in the first half in Sunday’s win over the Minnesota Vikings, when replacement Ernie Sims struggled. Carter performed well enough in the second half to earn coach Jason Garrett’s praise, although it isn’t clear if he earned the starting job again in the process.

“I think we saw a lot of what Bruce Carter is able to do in that game,” Garrett said. “He flew around a little bit more and was very productive, made tackles in space, made two key third-down stops for us and just seemed to be more active and played more decisively and with more confidence.”

Carter seemed to be a blossoming star before suffering a season-ending elbow injury this season. The Cowboys thought he’d benefit greatly from the switch to the 4-3 scheme, with his athleticism seemingly a great fit for the Sam linebacker spot manned by Derrick Brooks during Monte Kiffin’s Tampa Bay days.

But Carter clearly regressed during the first half of the season. He acknowledges playing too hesitantly, saying he got caught up in overanalyzing things instead of just relying on his instincts. And Carter believes the coaches lost confidence in him.

“I’ve never doubted myself,” Carter said. “I know what type of player I am. I can play at this level and be productive at it. I showed last game. I’ve never doubted myself.

“I’m just trying to get whatever the coaches are looking for from me to get back on the field.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I get it they wanted to play mind games but c'mon. Sims is not in his league in any regard.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Then there's this:

Cowboys DT Jason Hatcher says stinger won’t keep him out of New Orleans game

By David Moore
dmoore@dallasnews.com
2:06 pm on November 4, 2013 | Permalink

Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher, the anchor of the defensive line so far this season, was forced to leave Sunday’s game with a stinger.

He said he will play against New Orleans.

“I was going to make a play and Ernie Sims came and knocked the crap out of me,’’ Hatcher said of the Cowboys linebacker. “I’ll be OK. The feeling is coming back.

“You just have to be cautious with it. I’ll probably have to put a big neck roll on next week to protect it.’’

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I get it they wanted to play mind games but c'mon. Sims is not in his league in any regard.
No, but people wanted to see benchings for bad performances. Generally the backups aren't as good as the starters, so this is what you get. What, you wanted to bench a starter and replace him with a better backup?

GShock

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys thought he’d benefit greatly from the switch to the 4-3 scheme, with his athleticism seemingly a great fit for the Sam linebacker spot manned by Derrick Brooks during Monte Kiffin’s Tampa Bay days.

But Carter clearly regressed during the first half of the season.
It is troubling that he has not seized what should be a huge opportunity.

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No, but people wanted to see benchings for bad performances. Generally the backups aren't as good as the starters, so this is what you get. What, you wanted to bench a starter and replace him with a better backup?
I think people are talking more along the lines of benching veterans that aren't deserving of their playing time. That only start because of how long they've been here and where they were drafted. That wasn't really conducive to competition for the spot.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think people are talking more along the lines of benching veterans that aren't deserving of their playing time. That only start because of how long they've been here and where they were drafted. That wasn't really conducive to competition for the spot.
Well I don't see how this wasn't a prime example of that. Carter had a really bad string of a couple games and Sims had generally played well for us in the past. I don't want to see Carter on the bench the rest of the season, but I think if you had just kept trotting him out there, when Sims is one of the best backup players you have, that'd be a prime example of sticking with the status quo due to draft status.

Top Bottom