Watkins: Brandon Carr wants to be more aggressive

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Brandon Carr wants to be more aggressive

December, 19, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The last two weeks of the regular season are vital for the Dallas Cowboys: win the remaining two games and the playoffs await at AT&T Stadium.

Cornerback Brandon Carr is hoping that happens, and if he's going to have a say about anything he's going to do it in an aggressive nature. Carr admits he hasn't been aggressive in pass coverage and opposing offenses notice.

After being targeted seven times in games against New Orleans and the New York Giants, quarterbacks have directed passes toward Carr 20 times the last three games. Over the last six weeks, Carr has just two pass breakups.

"For myself, just be more aggressive and just get back my mentality that got me into these doors," said Carr, in his second season with the Cowboys. "I feel like I kind of went away from that. Whatever, that’s my fault. You get an opportunity to go out there Sunday and to prove yourself once again. I’m encouraged about that, I’m happy about it. It’s a chance for me to go out there and get back to playing like Brandon Carr."

To find his game, Carr is watching film of himself at Valley Ranch, during lunch and late nights at home. Carr has been an aggressive man-to-man corner who normally faces the opponent's best receiver. But after Calvin Johnson torched the Cowboys for 14 catches for 329 yards on Oct. 27, Carr has been a different player.

He was targeted 13 times overall that day including 12 passes directed toward him while he covered Johnson. Carr, according to Pro Football Focus, allowed nine receptions for 201 yards against Johnson. Carr was stiffed-armed along the way for an 87-yard catch-and-run by Johnson which is the longest play allowed from scrimmage this season by the Cowboys defense.

Carr said his confidence isn't down because this is what corners do, get beat, and bounce back up and make plays.

"They go from zero [targets] to three [targets]," Carr said. "It's increasing a little bit, its cool. My philosophy is if you keep trying me long enough, I'm gonna burn you one time. It's fine. I figure it will come at some point. Some teams are going to start working me and getting me action. Now I have to find a way to win and get some turnovers for our offense."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Brandon Carr misses practice
December, 19, 2013

IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr missed Thursday's practice with an undisclosed illness.

The Cowboys are already down a corner because Morris Claiborne is out with a hamstring injury.

Defensive end DeMarcus Ware (back) returned to practice Thursday after missing Wednesday's session. Coach Jason Garrett said Ware's back problem wasn't considered serious.

Fellow starting defensive end George Selvie returned to practice too, after missing practice with a tight back.

Dwayne Harris (hamstring), Ernie Sims (groin) and Terrance Williams (hamstring) missed practice.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Shaping up to be a great Redskins win on Sunday!!

:towel

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Brandon Carr misses practice
December, 19, 2013

IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr missed Thursday's practice with an undisclosed illness.

The Cowboys are already down a corner because Morris Claiborne is out with a hamstring injury.

Defensive end DeMarcus Ware (back) returned to practice Thursday after missing Wednesday's session. Coach Jason Garrett said Ware's back problem wasn't considered serious.

Fellow starting defensive end George Selvie returned to practice too, after missing practice with a tight back.

Dwayne Harris (hamstring), Ernie Sims (groin) and Terrance Williams (hamstring) missed practice.
I have become very suspicious about a lot of the Dallas players. It is like the training camp practice avoidance syndrome is filtering into the regular season practice sessions. Maybe I am just snake bit from some of the players shenanigans that have turned out to be ful fledged goldbricking.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I have become very suspicious about a lot of the Dallas players. It is like the training camp practice avoidance syndrome is filtering into the regular season practice sessions. Maybe I am just snake bit from some of the players shenanigans that have turned out to be ful fledged goldbricking.
Jerry said they have done a great job! Its entertainment!

Why would anyone need to practice or be held accountable?

Its a SHOW!!!

jester

Brand New Member
Carr aggressive=more PI flags.

I would do the same if I were he. He's been getting beat on the regs and if selling out will lead to some turnovers then it's worth the risk. Something has got to change.

Top Bottom