Walker: Cowboys seventh-round pick is prototypical edge talent

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By PATRIK WALKER 2 hours ago

In the end, this could be the steal of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Having already grabbed defensive linemen defensive linemen Trysten Hill and Joe Jackson with the 58th and 165th picks, respectively, the Dallas Cowboys approached the final pick of their draft with an expectation of many that they'd satisfied their appetite for pass rushers in a major way. That couldn't have been further from the truth, however, because it appears that appetite is insatiable going into training camp this July. Their decision to select former Oregon talent Jalen Jelks provides them with tremendous draft value on the selection, considering he was graded as a fifth-round pick by many teams.

He's an edge rusher with rare traits they weren't willing to risk to undrafted free agency, and could make the biggest waves of the DL rookie class — Hill notwithstanding.

If you're looking for the prototypical frame for a weak side edge rusher, Jelks is a T-2000 and quarterbacks are nothin more than Jon Connor. The 6-foot-6, 256 lb. rookie is in at least the 86th percentile for arm length and height, and in the 93rd-percentile for wingspan. That alone warranted a look by the Cowboys in the pre-draft process, but his other measurables and sack-count at the collegiate level won't jump off the page, and that justified waiting until the final pick of the draft to give him a nod.

There's no denying the potential, however, with 15.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks in 2017 to go along with seven pass deflections — the latter being a testament to his condor-like wingspan. For perspective, there are defensive backs who struggle to get seven PBUs in a season, and Jelks did it as a defensive end. That said, he'll need to really key in on what defensive coordinator Rod Marinelliand defensive line coach Leon Lett are teaching if he wants a shot at the 53-man roster.

The competition is ferocious and I love Jelks' build, his relentless motor and how he pops off the snap but, as it stands, I project him to land on the practice squad to give the Cowboys time to develop him a bit more before giving him a shot on game day. This could change in a big way if he dominates training camp and the preseason, but that will involve also being better than several veterans along with fellow classmate Jackson and undrafted free agent Daniel Wise. Achieving the latter for a last-chance roster seat may prove to be Jelks' biggest challenge.

His other saving grace might come in the form of fear, for if the Cowboys are afraid they'll lose him to waivers, he'll cost someone else a spot.

I can't say I'd be surprised to see that happen, but there is much work to be done.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If you're looking for the prototypical frame for a weak side edge rusher, Jelks is a T-2000 and quarterbacks are nothin more than Jon Connor.
Good grief.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good grief.
Even if you take it at face value that he was a fifth round talent. Which I think is reasonable. The odds of a fifth round talent becoming anything more than a rotational player aren't particularly high. But you never know. Sometimes you hit a grand slam. We will have no idea of that until preseason starts.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know. The extreme hyperbole just gets old.

Top Bottom