Wade Phillips believes Johnny Football is the right fit for the Houston Texans.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wade Phillips believes Johnny Football is the right fit for the Houston Texans.

In an unsuccessful interview in late December to become the Texans' permanent head coach, Phillips told ownership the team should draft Johnny Manziel, the dynamic quarterback from nearby Texas A&M. He also kidded that his suggestion may have cost him a chance at getting the job.

"When I did the interview with the McNairs, I told them they ought to take Johnny Football," Phillips said on 610 SportsRadio in Houston. "That's what I told them, and I'm sitting here now without a job." :cry

Texans owner Bob McNair hired Penn State coach Bill O'Brien as Gary Kubiak's replacement. Phillips, formerly Houston's defensive coordinator and not part of O'Brien's staff, was the Texans' interim coach for the final three games after Kubiak was fired in early December.

The Texans, who own the No. 1 pick in this year's draft, have a need at quarterback after Matt Schaub and Case Keenum struggled last season.

Manziel, a Texas native who has uncanny scrambling ability and is a precision passer, is expected to be taken high in the first round in May's draft.

"I thought it would be the Earl Campbell of Houston -- the reincarnation," Phillips told the radio station. "The Heisman Trophy winner comes to Houston, from the state of Texas. I thought it would be a neat deal."

Other quarterbacks expected to be drafted early include Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville and Blake Bortles of Central Florida.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, since they just fired his ass, I bet they go Blake Bortles.

O'Brien does favor bigger more traditional pocket QBs.

I honestly think it would be dumb to cater to marketing and fan appeal and take a guy the coach is not exactly comfortable.

Manziel needs to go to the right place to be successful. If he ends up in Cleveland with Shanahan's kid, I think that's the best place.

Plus those people would worship him. Hell, Bernie fricking Kosar was like a legend.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wade Phillips is such a fricking cry baby.

Yes, Wade, we get it....you don't think you're treated fairly. You think your winning record is this and that, blah blah blah.

You're just not as good as you think.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, since they just fired his ass, I bet they go Blake Bortles.

O'Brien does favor bigger more traditional pocket QBs.

I honestly think it would be dumb to cater to marketing and fan appeal and take a guy the coach is not exactly comfortable.

Manziel needs to go to the right place to be successful. If he ends up in Cleveland with Shanahan's kid, I think that's the best place.

Plus those people would worship him. Hell, Bernie fricking Kosar was like a legend.
This would be a typical Jones move.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This would be a typical Jones move.
If we were coming off a good season and the "roster was set", I bet Jones would move heaven and earth to get him.

But he's married to Romo. Manziel is just a piece of ass he wish he could have.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we were coming off a good season and the "roster was set", I bet Jones would move heaven and earth to get him.

And, in this case, it wouldn't matter if the player fits the coaches scheme. He would do everything he could to get him no matter what. Winning be damned.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And, in this case, it wouldn't matter if the player fits the coaches scheme. He would do everything he could to get him no matter what. Winning be damned.

Wait...Garrett has a "scheme"? Well how about that.

D

Deuce

If the pics of Jerry drunk off his ass with whores in bars are any indication, his loyalty has limits. If he has a chance at Johnny Football and his marketability, he'll take it.

Top Bottom