Two step verification

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As some of you know we have been having some issues with spammers. I have done everything I have available to me with ReCaptcha to try and stop it and it has not. So, I am implementing a 2 step verification process. This is going to be a trial run to see if it will help. This may cause some bumps on login as I'm not sure what the second verification step will be, so when you login the first time after I turn it on, you may have to go through a couple of extra steps the first time.

I am going to let this thread sit for a couple of weeks before I turn on the setting to give people plenty of time to have read it. Make sure the email you have in your profile is one you can access, as most likely, that is where the second verification code will go to.

If for whatever reason you have issues once I turn this on (write this shit down) you can email me at craig.cotton@ttu.edu and I can fix it for you. Together we can beat this thing. (sorry)

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I hate you.

I’m going to have to create a new email.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I no wikey. Mainly because I can't remember the password I use here.

Cotton

Staff member
I hate you.

I’m going to have to create a new email.
Sorry, man. I have to get control of this. I'm not going through the great hacking takeovers of 2012 and 2017.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I no wikey. Mainly because I can't remember the password I use here.
Right?

If I disappear for a while(week or two) it’s because I’m too lazy to go and recreate all of the stuff necessary.

Cotton

Staff member
Right?

If I disappear for a while(week or two) it’s because I’m too lazy to go and recreate all of the stuff necessary.
Then don't be lazy. Do you want to go to the grocery store with me or not?!

data

Forbes #1
How many incorrect attempts before account is Locked out?

Cotton

Staff member
How many incorrect attempts before account is Locked out?
I don't have that option that I can see.

data

Forbes #1
I don't have that option that I can see.
Assuming the spammers are opening new accounts (vs activating an existing dormant account, which would impressive like HG Wells War of Worlds shit), why can’t we just lockdown no-approval new registration?

This would only inconvenience new posters since they’d have to wait for moderator manual-approval before posting.

Seems questionable to penalize 100% of us posters here for the sake of one or two new bonafide posters we’d actually get

Cotton

Staff member
Assuming the spammers are opening new accounts (vs activating an existing dormant account, which would impressive like HG Wells War of Worlds shit), why can’t we just lockdown no-approval new registration?

This would only inconvenience new posters since they’d have to wait for moderator manual-approval before posting.

Seems questionable to penalize 100% of us posters here for the sake of one or two new bonafide posters we’d actually get
I spend a lot of time on this board. Not just on the board, but a ton of time making sure the board's host stays on point. I don't have the time to moderate new registrations. I did the moderated moderation for a while and I just can't/won't do that again. I think it repels new users, plus it takes way too much time for me to do. We will try this route and see what happens.

I will wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks and we will go from there.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
can that be turned on for a couple folks first, just to see how it works?

Most folks probably have their password saved in DCC and have never used MFA outside of their bank's website.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
I would like my two step authentication question be set to: “Do you like John Wayne movies“?

With the answer set to: YES

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I would like my two step authentication question be set to: “Do you like John Wayne movies“?

With the answer set to: YES
Holy hell, that bout made me shit myself.

Top Bottom