Trading Up for Kinlaw/Brown

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
After looking at the majority of the prospects expected to go in the 15-25 range I've come to the conclusion that we should be looking very hard at trading, one way or the other. It seems like we're sitting at a spot where there could be a flattening of the talent, where a guy taken at 17 isn't a significantly better prospect than a guy at 24 or 28.

If we were to take Chaisson or Henderson or McKinney at 17, it'd be fine and we'd likely be getting a very solid starter, but I'd be just as happy moving down for a 3rd and taking Baun, Winfield, Delpit, Gross-Matos or Justin Jefferson, or perhaps even Chaisson or McKinney themselves if it's only a 5ish spot trade down.

On the flip side, the dream is obviously that either Kinlaw or Brown make it down to 17. One could argue that we need an upgrade at literally any defensive position but I think these are the two best defensive prospects most likely to get into our range, and clearly our current DT's are only 1-2 year stopgaps. I think there's maybe a 25% chance of one of them falling to 17, but I think there's at least a 75% chance one of them makes it down into the 10-15 range. So the question is, what would you be willing to give up to move up for one of them, and at what point would you seriously start considering it?

I don't think the Browns, Jets or Raiders at 10-12 are any threat to take a DT. They're all generally solid at the position and/or have made recent significant investments there while having massive holes at positions that could arguably be the BPA at their respective picks (WR/OT). As long as one of the top 4 OT's or one of the top 2 WR's are available I think each of those teams sits there and makes the pick.

So for me the 49ers at 13 and the Bucs at 14 are where I'd really start looking hard at it.

There are a variety of factors based on how things play out, such as if it's looking like one of the top 4 OT's will be there at 14 then I think Tampa will definitely take one of them and we can be patient and maybe look to move up with Denver. If Jeudy/Lamb are there at 13 then I think we can be patient and not worry about the 49ers taking one of them. If a miracle happens and both of them make it past Jacksonville at 9 we'll be in a really awesome position, and then we can decide what to do based on what happens between 10-13.

Ultimately I'd be willing to give up our 4th this year and our 3rd next year to move up for either one of them, although obviously you'd try to make it work for less. We're likely getting at least one 3rd comp pick next year and quite possibly two for Byron/Quinn, so we'd really just be giving up one of multiple 2021 3's plus a mid-4th this year for one of the last elite defensive prospects at a position of great need.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Meh. I hate trading up, unless its a special circumstance.

I really like Kinlaw. And would love to have him. But I don't think he's a generational type talent. And therefore, unless we got a deal that was slanted very heavily in our favor, I would just as soon not trade up. This team is not one Dlineman away from having a super bowl caliber defense. We need all the premium picks we can get.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
After looking at the majority of the prospects expected to go in the 15-25 range I've come to the conclusion that we should be looking very hard at trading, one way or the other. It seems like we're sitting at a spot where there could be a flattening of the talent, where a guy taken at 17 isn't a significantly better prospect than a guy at 24 or 28.

If we were to take Chaisson or Henderson or McKinney at 17, it'd be fine and we'd likely be getting a very solid starter, but I'd be just as happy moving down for a 3rd and taking Baun, Winfield, Delpit, Gross-Matos or Justin Jefferson, or perhaps even Chaisson or McKinney themselves if it's only a 5ish spot trade down.

On the flip side, the dream is obviously that either Kinlaw or Brown make it down to 17. One could argue that we need an upgrade at literally any defensive position but I think these are the two best defensive prospects most likely to get into our range, and clearly our current DT's are only 1-2 year stopgaps. I think there's maybe a 25% chance of one of them falling to 17, but I think there's at least a 75% chance one of them makes it down into the 10-15 range. So the question is, what would you be willing to give up to move up for one of them, and at what point would you seriously start considering it?

I don't think the Browns, Jets or Raiders at 10-12 are any threat to take a DT. They're all generally solid at the position and/or have made recent significant investments there while having massive holes at positions that could arguably be the BPA at their respective picks (WR/OT). As long as one of the top 4 OT's or one of the top 2 WR's are available I think each of those teams sits there and makes the pick.

So for me the 49ers at 13 and the Bucs at 14 are where I'd really start looking hard at it.

There are a variety of factors based on how things play out, such as if it's looking like one of the top 4 OT's will be there at 14 then I think Tampa will definitely take one of them and we can be patient and maybe look to move up with Denver. If Jeudy/Lamb are there at 13 then I think we can be patient and not worry about the 49ers taking one of them. If a miracle happens and both of them make it past Jacksonville at 9 we'll be in a really awesome position, and then we can decide what to do based on what happens between 10-13.

Ultimately I'd be willing to give up our 4th this year and our 3rd next year to move up for either one of them, although obviously you'd try to make it work for less. We're likely getting at least one 3rd comp pick next year and quite possibly two for Byron/Quinn, so we'd really just be giving up one of multiple 2021 3's plus a mid-4th this year for one of the last elite defensive prospects at a position of great need.
If I'm moving? It's moving down to acquire more picks to fill more needs, not giving them up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Meh. I hate trading up, unless its a special circumstance.

I really like Kinlaw. And would love to have him. But I don't think he's a generational type talent. And therefore, unless we got a deal that was slanted very heavily in our favor, I would just as soon not trade up. This team is not one Dlineman away from having a super bowl caliber defense. We need all the premium picks we can get.
We'd still have at least one if not two 3's in 2021, all that would really be coming up out of pocket would be this years 4.

Based on how I value Kinlaw/Brown, basically as legitimate top 10 prospects at a position that could sorely use a long-term anchor, I'd do it when considering the values I put on who I expect to be there at 17.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not going to happen. They probably feel pretty smug after getting McCoy and Poe.

It is going to be a tsunami of cornerbacks the way they have behaved in free agency.

midswat

... soon
He just might be. The college production just wasn't there.
flip side: he might not be. I base my opinion off of Trey Smith humiliating him during our game this year when Trey was practicing one day a week because of blood clots, and the fact that I hate all things uscjr.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Haven't followed the draft this year, but I do know there are always some completely goofy, borderline shocking picks in the top 15 that push down players previously thought to be unavailable. It'll happen again this year.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Based on what I saw of him against Alabama and Georgia he definitely isn't, he's pretty solidly a top 15 prospect.
I agree with this completely, but watching videos on both Kinlaw and Brown, I think it’s apparent that Brown is the better prospect. He is an animal.

As far as trading up, I’m definitely behind it. Aggressively target young talent. As long as it’s a guy that they think is going to be a perennial All Pro type, not just the top of that given class.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I’d consider giving up a 4th if Brown slips, but I think the inbred rednecks have a hard on for a CB.

GShock

DCC 4Life
If Brown somehow falls, I would definitely be interested in moving up a reasonable distance to get him. If we could do it for a 4th + 3rd (max), I would. I’m a little less sold on giving up picks for Kinlaw.

I also agree we’re in a bit of no-man‘s land at 17. There’s no way that the second best corner falls that far, and I will be pissed when we reach on one. I think that if we stay put and the draft goes with value, the caliber of player available to us there will be there 5-6 spots down.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Because it's such a deep class, one of the elite WR's may end up slipping down to Dallas on the basis that early drafting teams figure a good WR will still be available anyway in the first part of the 2nd.

Even Jeudy might slip down to the early teens, and you can't pass on that kind of value, IMO.

In today's game that position is so critical and the difference between the best and very good can be huge. Would be nice to have our next #1 already on the roster when we are forced to cut Cooper in 2-3 years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Because it's such a deep class, one of the elite WR's may end up slipping down to Dallas on the basis that early drafting teams figure a good WR will still be available anyway in the first part of the 2nd.

Even Jeudy might slip down to the early teens, and you can't pass on that kind of value, IMO.

In today's game that position is so critical and the difference between the best and very good can be huge. Would be nice to have our next #1 already on the roster when we are forced to cut Cooper in 2-3 years.
Agreed, if either Lamb or Jeudy are there you pretty much have to take them unless Brown or Kinlaw are somehow also available.

You could also argue the same for Ruggs although I can see the argument against also.

If Kinlaw, Brown and the top 3 WRs are gone the choice is basically going to come down to either Henderson, Chaisson or McKinney.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I am resigned to that. I just hope we don't reach for one or worse trade up.
I don't think there's any way we trade up for a cb but I could see a worst case scenario where best available cbs are are Fulton,Gladney and we actually take one there :budd

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think there's any way we trade up for a cb but I could see a worst case scenario where best available cbs are are Fulton,Gladney and we actually take one there :budd
I prefer Gladney over Fulton, but only in a trade down.

In fact, that is what I want. That allows them to double dip at corner, which is what they will do anyways.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I prefer Gladney over Fulton, but only in a trade down.

In fact, that is what I want. That allows them to double dip at corner, which is what they will do anyways.
I'd rather see who is available in the 2nd or 3rd, I just don't see enough of a drop between them and say Arnette, Pride, Dantzler to justify taking one of them even late in the 1st with a tradeback.

Top Bottom