To Tank Or Not To Tank

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The idea of even considering an athletic competing team not giving 100% to be victorious in their competition is abhorrant to me and defeats the entire reason for even being in competition.
No one expects them to quit (after all, they have pride and they're playing for their jobs). It's just that we'd be better off if they lost. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The idea of even considering an athletic competing team not giving 100% to be victorious in their competition is abhorrant to me and defeats the entire reason for even being in competition. They are no longer being a team. The have become performing actors to just play a script that is directed by someone else. How then is that a sport?
must not be a Mavs fan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one expects them to quit (after all, they have pride and they're playing for their jobs). It's just that we'd be better off if they lost. Short-term pain for long-term gain.
The good news is it appears the players are buying into the system and finally seem to be getting it. I'd be worried if the players weren't, that the coaches might be utter failures. I think the way they are playing now bodes well for next year as opposed to going 2-14.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No one was rooting for an NFCE title or a lower draft pick before yesterday's victory. Now that it's happened, we get flowery sentiments like "building for the future" and "learning how to win." Barf.
First, the Sewell dream is dead now that Burrow is out for the year and there isn't another obvious, blue-chip uber elite prospect worth "tanking for". Parsons is really good but he's not worth throwing the baby out with the bath water for.

Secondly, it's not a binary choice where it's either 1. rooting for winning the division or 2. rooting for the 3rd pick, or even a top 5 pick.

Given how the team has played the last few games the chances of a top 5 pick are completely out the door. We played the only undefeated team in the league to a standstill and then beat one of the hottest teams in the league over the last month. The Vikings are much better than their record having lost by 1 to the Titans and Seahawks each, and they were honestly very unlucky to lose both, especially the Seahawks game.

One could easily argue the Vikings are more or less on par with a team like the Cardinals or Rams, and we're almost assured to win another 2-3 games or so if they keep up this level of play.

My point is that no matter what fans are rooting for the team has improved too much to have any realistic shot at a top 5 pick unless you want the coaches to literally throw games, which is obviously a terrible idea.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well the name of the thread is To Tank or Not Tank. Tanking is throwing in the towel also known a quitting or tanking. That’s what I assumed I was addressing.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I’m still firmly in tank mode. I do see the value in finishing strong, and carrying momentum into next season, but in a year that has no possibility of a championship, I put a premium on gaining even a single draft slot over a meaningless victory.

I know not everyone feels that way, and no one enjoys watching their team lose week in and week out, but it’s just where my head is at. Not to mention, I think the only way to really carry actual momentum into next year would be to win the division. Which I absolutely don’t want, at all.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If Dak and the tackles were healthy and they had a real shot at a championship, I'd root for them to win a shit division, but that's not the case. I think you guys are trying to talk yourselves into draft suicide.
Draft suicide?

:lol

Drama much? We picked at 17 last year and seemed to do ok.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Draft suicide?

Yeah, if there was an Aaron Donald stud DT I may feel different. But if we miss out on Parsons, Surtain, Chase or Pitts I'm ok with it. There isn't anyone in this draft after Sewell that I can't find another player at the position I like nearly as much

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Draft suicide?

we had an elite receiver fall into our lap. stop pretending we unearthed a little known gem from Buttfuck State.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
That's the point. Picking 17th isn't draft suicide. There are still obviously good players.
if you say we're going from 3 to 17, then yes, suicide is an option. also, last April was rich in receivers. you can't say the same for OTs or DTs next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you say we're going from 3 to 17, then yes, suicide is an option. also, last April was rich in receivers. you can't say the same for OTs or DTs next year.
There is only one DT or OT I would even consider in the top 15 of this draft. And Sewell is going number 3. That's gone now. So now what? I don't even think there is a first round DT at this point in the draft process. And hell the only reason we were talking OT was because Sewell was too good to pass up. Not that we actually need an OT that badly.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
we had an elite receiver fall into our lap. stop pretending we unearthed a little known gem from Buttfuck State.
I didn't say anything about our first round pick. I mentioned the whole draft. If you want to be so ignorant and only focus on one pick, be my guest.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I didn't say anything about our first round pick. I mentioned the whole draft. If you want to be so ignorant and only focus on one pick, be my guest.
oh, well in that case, the higher your pick in every round the better

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
oh, well in that case, the higher your pick in every round the better
You're just being obtuse on purpose, now. No point in continuing this stupidity.

Draft suicide. :lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Prescott was coming back, despite the defense which I don't think can get us through the playoffs, I'd say, go for it.

Without him, tank.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But it's not about winning a SB or even a playoff game for that matter.

I don't think anyone here has any illusions about what this team will do if they somehow win the division.

This is about what it does for this team going into next year and in that regard, there is a lot that can be gained by finishing the season strong.
There's also a lot to be gained by adding a stud defender or OT to the roster.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I agree with this to an extent.
As do I.

In a league known for its parity, how much carry over is actually real? Every year there are at least a half dozen teams it seems that are ripe to make “the jump”, and then don’t. Of course, there are a myriad of mitigating circumstances that go into that, but you don’t think WFT would have wished to lose just one more game at 3-13 (barring tiebreakers which I won’t look up) to draft Burrow over Young?

Mind you, that’s not the boat we find ourselves in at all, but I also think it may be early to be writing off certain prospects and their top five potential, given we haven’t even come close to bowl season yet.

Every slot matters, especially if we are in that top ten. I don’t want a win or two to jeopardize even a couple draft slots.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Do I want the coaches to basically throw games by playing DiNucci?

No, that not only stunts the development of other players but it also is a quick way to lose the team, and regardless of that they aren't going to do it anyway because somehow these guys might actually be the favorites to win the division at this point.

I also think it's important for next year for the team to show improvement and dare I say it, fight. That's why the Pittsburgh loss was so awesome, they basically outplayed the only undefeated team in the league but due to a set of unfortunate circumstances and nonsensical flags they managed to lose.

Now, with all that said, my stance on "tanking" (basically rooting for draft position because we aren't tanking) changed a good bit once I saw Burrow carted off. They aren't going to win another game with Ryan Finley at QB and they are a 100% lock to take Sewell in the first. The Jaguars might win another game but not two and the Jets are going 1-15 at the absolute best.

So basically we have no way of getting into the top 3 and I think Sewell is the only special uber non-QB prospect like a Chase Young, Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Saquon Barkley, etc. Without a chance at him I don't think there's a massive difference between picking at 6 vs. 9 vs. 12. Parsons might be near that level but I don't think he's as much of a sure-thing as Sewell is.

Of course if we fuck around and win the division picking at 19 would suck but there's probably an argument that the culture built under a 1st year coaching staff under those circumstances would outweigh 6-7 spots in the draft order.

I keep hearing we'd be picking 19 at best but wouldn't it be 17 this year? 14 playoff teams right?

Top Bottom