The Moving Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If you rent, you are lucky if you have a physical person landlord now.

Now it is all huge corporates scooping up real estate, outsourcing every damn thing from agent to maintenance and then you deal with their poor software application systems and it is about as frustrating as it can be.
I recently saw an ABC news piece about these new rental systems. The tenants in the news piece were frustrated that they could never get anyone on the phone for financial errors, maintenance issues, and such. A few of them kept getting eviction notices because the software system was billing them incorrectly, but they could never get anyone on the phone to fix the problems.

Hopefully the software system you interact with isn't to that extreme.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
@boozeman prepare for a substantial amount of time to build a decent house. Probably 10-14 months, unless you go the shithole Lennox/Lenoir/DR Horton builder route.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
So weird being back in California. I’ve been gone 3-3 1/2 months, something like that, and I just got a dose of some pretty harsh reality.

I’ve made the drive back and forth to Oklahoma now 2 and half times in the last 5 months. After living in OK for a short time, I just realized my town that I grew up in is TRASH. From top to bottom, just plain and simply trash.

I never noticed how terrible the roads and freeways are until today. I was just used to it I guess. I made that drive today after driving on smooth/clean roads in Oklahoma for 3+ months daily. Wow.

I’m almost embarrassed at how bad this place looks. Garbage lining the freeways, literal sections of freeway that are uneven and look like they’ve been pieced together after a massive earthquake. And there’s zero question, the air here sucks. It’s like LA 25 years ago in comparison to OK, just a hazy fog that you can almost taste.

It’s also very weird to be visiting for the first time even though it’s been a brief time being away. I feel so out of place. We’re staying with my mom and her boyfriend this week, then my dad, then my sister in laws house, then my brother.

I can’t explain the feeling, other than I don’t feel like I belong here at all. Almost like being at a summer camp when you’re 12 and you kinda just want to be back home.

Honestly I feel like such a fag, but I wanna go home already and it’s day 1 of a month here.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Stop the press, someone praised Oklahoma's roads?!? :lol

Really though - not faggy at all. I still think it's great you've taken so well to your new place with no buyers remorse.

To be fair to your home town, I suspect it wasn't trashy like that when you were growing up, right? I'm guessing things have gone downhill in the last 20 years or so, maybe much more recently than that?

I can see the air quality being vastly different though. Something you don't think about if you've never experienced polluted air.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Since this whole move, I am addicted to judging houses.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Finally found a place. Going to build from new. I feel good about it, I know y'all don't give a shit.
Props, that will be fun. How far out of a city are you?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Props, that will be fun. How far out of a city are you?
I will be about two or so miles from my comfort zone.

It is pretty difficult to juggle how important internet access is versus not having some asshole looking right at you.

Top Bottom