The Job Thread

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
my brother works for GE and said it's still zoom all the time in the office. what was the point of going back?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It has cost me a lot over the last 17 years. A lot of long long hours, stress, anxiety, humility and so forth. Hell, I almost went completely broke 6 years ago. On the other side, there has been many amazing years of reward. I couldn't imagine it any other way. Now I am planning the run up in revenue and an eventual sell. All of this is a new challenge for me so that keeps it interesting. It isn't for wimps, I can tell you that much.
I salute you, sir.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Side note - we started having a company wide no work 90 minutes per week.

Everyone is required to come in Friday mornings. No business talk, only positive reports and thank yous. We typically play some dumb ass game like trying to make balloon towers out of only balloons and masking tape, women arm wrestling and so forth. It has been the best money that I've spent lately. I know it sounds corny but it has gone a long way to build team unity and trust.

Fire away...
Props. Anything to promote a positive culture.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
It has cost me a lot over the last 17 years. A lot of long long hours, stress, anxiety, humility and so forth. Hell, I almost went completely broke 6 years ago. On the other side, there has been many amazing years of reward. I couldn't imagine it any other way. Now I am planning the run up in revenue and an eventual sell. All of this is a new challenge for me so that keeps it interesting. It isn't for wimps, I can tell you that much.
As someone who has sold a company, it’s not always what you think it’s going to be. Especially in our line of work.

UncleMilti

Staff member
@boozeman how is the new iPhone treating you. I moved from an Android 3 years ago to the iPhone. It was a bitch the first year…hated the mail, hated the apps but when I got the iPhone 13 Pro I really started to enjoy it. The camera and video on these phones are incredible, and the apps have steadily improved since the iPhone 10 I started with. I think you’ll really like it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
As someone who has sold a company, it’s not always what you think it’s going to be. Especially in our line of work.
I don't know what you mean here but I wish you would go ahead and tell me. My future is in your hands.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I don't know what you mean here but I wish you would go ahead and tell me. My future is in your hands.
Normally in our business, especially ones built from the ground up or family run, companies interested in buying you are really buying YOU and your clients- you’ve made your company, you’ve built your client base and these clients do business with you because of you. In my case, the company that bought me stipulated I stay on under contract to them for 2-3 years to transition the company and MY clients over to their new company.

The caveat was if I didn’t stay on, then my company was worth less money to them because they felt a lot of my clients would go elsewhere if I wasn’t involved in the transition, and they’d have to work extensively to either convince those clients to come back or add new clients to fill the void. I wanted to walk and start something else, but they made it difficult contractually for me to do that because of the devaluation.

In the end it ended up being “here’s what I want to sell my company for” vs them saying “here’s all the reasons your company is only worth this to us unless we do X Y and Z”

I anticipated some of that, but not to the level it ended up being. In other words, there were many twists and turns that I didn’t expect that made the process a lot more stressful than I ever thought it would be.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I am beginning to hate my company.

I started with them telling them I can fix their retention problem. I told them how to fix the retention problems but they don't. want to do it. I told them I am not the greatest recruiter but I can do it. Not only have I been doing more recruiting than anything else, I just got put in charge of recruiting for all of the salaried positions in our company on top of the local recruiting that I normally do. Then I am recruiting/hiring for a recruiter role and I am told the salary range which tops out over what I make. The only upside is that I may be offered the HR manager spot tomorrow. The downside is I'm not sure I want it because the company is so duplicitous and has a history of screwing people over. Plus I got informed today that I get to work the two weekends following Easter because the warehouse is doing inventory and they need someone to get lunch and be on hand to serve it to folks so management can focus on the inventory. Such bull.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
they need someone to get lunch and be on hand to serve it
I'd text them a number to a catering company but I'm a dick that is just a couple years from retirement

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I'd text them a number to a catering company but I'm a dick that is just a couple years from retirement
The assistant warehouse manager doesn't like that I am pointing out the issues in the warehouse and takes it personally. We will see. I may call bull after dealing with the first instance.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
@boozeman how is the new iPhone treating you. I moved from an Android 3 years ago to the iPhone. It was a bitch the first year…hated the mail, hated the apps but when I got the iPhone 13 Pro I really started to enjoy it. The camera and video on these phones are incredible, and the apps have steadily improved since the iPhone 10 I started with. I think you’ll really like it.
It is fine. Hate the keyboard though. Thank you for asking you magnificent bastard.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The assistant warehouse manager doesn't like that I am pointing out the issues in the warehouse and takes it personally. We will see. I may call bull after dealing with the first instance.
Since you are new, he is bowing up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am beginning to hate my company.

I started with them telling them I can fix their retention problem. I told them how to fix the retention problems but they don't. want to do it. I told them I am not the greatest recruiter but I can do it. Not only have I been doing more recruiting than anything else, I just got put in charge of recruiting for all of the salaried positions in our company on top of the local recruiting that I normally do. Then I am recruiting/hiring for a recruiter role and I am told the salary range which tops out over what I make. The only upside is that I may be offered the HR manager spot tomorrow. The downside is I'm not sure I want it because the company is so duplicitous and has a history of screwing people over. Plus I got informed today that I get to work the two weekends following Easter because the warehouse is doing inventory and they need someone to get lunch and be on hand to serve it to folks so management can focus on the inventory. Such bull.
You are not a partner, brother. Get out.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The team got one-on-one meetings with their new leader today. It went mostly well. Our Ops Manager might not make it. She is a good person but she lacks the skills for her job. She is extremely disorganized not strong enough to command respect. She busts her ass and is extremely dedicated so that's too bad. The new boss is going to be really specific about what he wants. Our current Ops Manager lacks focus.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The team got one-on-one meetings with their new leader today. It went mostly well. Our Ops Manager might not make it. She is a good person but she lacks the skills for her job. She is extremely disorganized not strong enough to command respect. She busts her ass and is extremely dedicated so that's too bad. The new boss is going to be really specific about what he wants. Our current Ops Manager lacks focus.
Heartless SOB

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Heartless SOB
I know.

Honestly, I’m rooting for her. Let me give you an example of things he’s said to her so far:

1. You say “I got it” when we speak of things that need to be accomplished…what is your action plan with next steps to demonstrate “I got it?”

2. Don’t just come into my office to chat, if you come to me have an agenda about what you want to talk about.

3. If I’m asking you to do things and you’re not writing it down that tells me you have no plan to do the things we are discussing.

I know this sounds dickish but she really needs to get her act together with her job. A rapidly growing enterprise needs leaders that have their ducks in a row. I have no idea how this will impact our people with all of this though. Sadly, we might have to churn the roster at bit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know.

Honestly, I’m rooting for her. Let me give you an example of things he’s said to her so far:

1. You say “I got it” when we speak of things that need to be accomplished…what is your action plan with next steps to demonstrate “I got it?”

2. Don’t just come into my office to chat, if you come to me have an agenda about what you want to talk about.

3. If I’m asking you to do things and you’re not writing it down that tells me you have no plan to do the things we are discussing.

I know this sounds dickish but she really needs to get her act together with her job. A rapidly growing enterprise needs leaders that have their ducks in a row. I have no idea how this will impact our people with all of this though. Sadly, we might have to churn the roster at bit.
You misogynist.

Top Bottom