The Healthy Food Thread

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Do you know what an actual 86% increase in Alzeimers would do to our population? Holy shit. :lol
Cause over 1 trillion dollars in medical/care costs, strain our healthcare system, fill our nursing homes and stress families beyond belief. Oh wait, that has already happened.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I still haven't seen a viable plan for how in the world we would feed our entire country on organic non-processed food. You know why I haven't seen one? Because it's impossible.
Grow your own food. That would pretty much do it. It isn't even close to impossible.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Cotton, you have enough land to feed about 10 families. Do you think it is impossible or just extremely inconvenient?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Lol, have you ever visited a nursing home? Congrates to all of the sick, crazies living longer in there. I'm sure they are thrilled.
I suspect I have been in enough of them to be able to talk about them. I also know that a lot of the elderly never live there. Are you saying eat right to live longer then commit suicide to avoid a nursing home experience? :art

Actually I visits several elder care facilities through out the year to entertain them with our Senior choir.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have 29 acres and it would take me about 3-5 years to get to the point where I am able to do something like that. It would take a ton of dedication, work, and inconveniences to get there. It seems almost daunting when I think about it. So I get what you are saying but it is not impossible.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I suspect I have been in enough of them to be able to talk about them. I also know that a lot of the elderly never live there. Are you saying eat right to live longer then commit suicide to avoid a nursing home experience? :art

Actually I visits several elder care facilities through out the year to entertain them with our Senior choir.
My mom is a nurse and that is what she does. It is pretty sad that these people are living longer. There really isn't any reason for them to do so. Laying in a bed, bed sores, tube feeding and not even knowing your own name isn't a win in my book. But yay! We are living longer!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My mom is a nurse and that is what she does. It is pretty sad that these people are living longer. There really isn't any reason for them to do so. Laying in a bed, bed sores, tube feeding and not even knowing your own name isn't a win in my book. But yay! We are living longer!
The reason there are a lot of people in Nursing care is because there has been a boom on elder care facilities. There is a variety of accommodations from independent living to full care facilities. The full care nursing facilities are not the majority. I would venture a guess that they make up less than 10 percent of the elder care population. The majority of the seniors live in their own private residences and contract with lawn and home cleaning companies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The reason there are a lot of people in Nursing care is because there has been a boom on elder care facilities. There is a variety of accommodations from independent living to full care facilities. The full care nursing facilities are not the majority. I would venture a guess that they make up less than 10 percent of the elder care population. The majority of the seniors live in their own private residences and contract with lawn and home cleaning companies.
Probably so. I don't doubt it. We are living longer but we aren't aging better.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cotton, you have enough land to feed about 10 families. Do you think it is impossible or just extremely inconvenient?
And who is going to pay for all that?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
These issues hit home for me especially what I personally have experienced myself over the past two years. My mother had Alzheimer's that with better and proper nutrition could have been avoided and even what good nutrition for a short time could improve her symptoms. Two months ago, I also was diagnosed with diabeetuz and HBP, so my life has now shifted towards being conscious of what food I put in my body. Eliminating corn syrup, white flour and carbs in general has made a massive improvement. I still do unhealthy things like drink and smoke, but my BP is now about at normal levels and I may be able to kick the blood sugar medicine soon. Nutrition does matter. Of course, I can afford to eat properly. It is not in the interests of big business to make food healthy and affordable.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Don Williams doesn't believe in organic food.

I know that LT is picking up what I'm laying down on this.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
And who is going to pay for all that?
I am not suggesting that everyone or even a small percentage of the population is interested in doing this but it isn't even close to impossible, which is what you said. Now you are shifting the topic.

1. Convert your land to permaculture practices - lots of work
2. Start growing your own food, collecting water...
3. Convert your grocery budget from stores to seeds and supplies
4. over time switch to homegrown food
5. Increase crops with that budget
6. In about 3-5 years you will have rich soil, seeds and year round crops to feed many people

All of this can be done with no ADDITIONAL budget from what you are currently spending on your food. Probably would be eating about 75% of your own food and 25% from stores. If everyone did this there would be an abundance of healthy food. As a society we previously grew our own food, shared, bartered and helped each other. Now that is some sort of crazy idea. I get that it is extreme and nobody wants to go away from industrialized food but it isn't impossible.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Actually, it is impossible. Who's going to grow the food to feed the 10 million people in New York City? How about all the people in Los Angeles? There isn't enough land for them to grow their own where they're at.

Are you advocating all these people perfectly spread out across the country and divide the land equally? If not, somebody else will be required to grow their food. And to do that, food will need to be grown in mass quantity. And that's where we are now...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I am not suggesting that everyone or even a small percentage of the population is interested in doing this but it isn't even close to impossible, which is what you said. Now you are shifting the topic.

1. Convert your land to permaculture practices - lots of work
2. Start growing your own food, collecting water...
3. Convert your grocery budget from stores to seeds and supplies
4. over time switch to homegrown food
5. Increase crops with that budget
6. In about 3-5 years you will have rich soil, seeds and year round crops to feed many people

All of this can be done with no ADDITIONAL budget from what you are currently spending on your food. Probably would be eating about 75% of your own food and 25% from stores. If everyone did this there would be an abundance of healthy food. As a society we previously grew our own food, shared, bartered and helped each other. Now that is some sort of crazy idea. I get that it is extreme and nobody wants to go away from industrialized food but it isn't impossible.
I'm not moving anything. You claim it's not impossible to feed the masses on home-grown food. I said it is. You said, You have the land to feed 10 people. I asked who is going to pay for that. Because to make it feasible a funding source must be identified before we can feed the masses this way.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Probably so. I don't doubt it. We are living longer but we aren't aging better.
Yep. Don't care to google it right now, so I probably have the exact numbers wrong. But I remember reading that back in the day, if a person made it to the age of 30 or 40 -- that is, he avoided childhood or young adult death from disease or accident -- he lived just as long as people today.

So people are living longer mainly due to advancements in trauma care and emergency surgery availability.

And I'm with you on the natural foods. Not sure why some get so defensive about that. There's nothing really wrong with fertilizer, but IMO a bunch of pesticides out there are very bad news.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
These issues hit home for me especially what I personally have experienced myself over the past two years. My mother had Alzheimer's that with better and proper nutrition could have been avoided and even what good nutrition for a short time could improve her symptoms. Two months ago, I also was diagnosed with diabeetuz and HBP, so my life has now shifted towards being conscious of what food I put in my body. Eliminating corn syrup, white flour and carbs in general has made a massive improvement. I still do unhealthy things like drink and smoke, but my BP is now about at normal levels and I may be able to kick the blood sugar medicine soon. Nutrition does matter. Of course, I can afford to eat properly. It is not in the interests of big business to make food healthy and affordable.
It is freakin hard to convert to a healthy diet. I love burgers, fast food and all of that. I can walk past the exhaust of Popeye's and my mouth will literally water. I still like occassional cigars and dip snus daily. I'm working on it. But I don't try to deny that it isn't bad for me. There isn't research on vaping yet but you have to be stupid to think there aren'r consequences.

It isn't in the interest of big business to make healthy food because it is more expensive to make and nobody wants to eat it. People get all up in arms when you mess with their food. I get it. I've had a few people on my case for years and I resented them. I was like, 'F you, I'll die fat and happy if I want to!" That is everyone's right but I changed my mind when I was really going to die. I was being a selfish bastard, my kids wanted me to be alive.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Actually, it is impossible. Who's going to grow the food to feed the 10 million people in New York City? How about all the people in Los Angeles? There isn't enough land for them to grow their own where they're at.

Are you advocating all these people perfectly spread out across the country and divide the land equally? If not, somebody else will be required to grow their food. And to do that, food will need to be grown in mass quantity. And that's where we are now...
No, I'm not advocating that. I didn't even bring it up, cotton did. I was simply answering the questions to the best of my ability. We certainly have enough land to feed everyone but that would take a massive shift, which isn't going to happen for a variety of reasons.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Also, it really doesn't have to be more expensive to grow food organically, at at least with drastically reduced chemicals. There are cover crop farmers whose yields are just as high as chemical users. Plus they don't have to irrigate as much. Granted, it takes a few years to get to that point, but then you're all good.

But then the pesticide and fertilizer manufacturers don't have anything to sell. I'm not a conspiracy guy and in 95% of cases I have nothing against big business. But in this case, I kind of do.

BTW, I wouldn't expect most people to realize this. I sure didn't until I started growing my own vegetables a couple of years ago and got interested in the subject.

Top Bottom