The Gun Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bought the new S&W Hellcat the other day. Micro subcompact. Is that even a thing?
I have a Ruger .380 LCP that could be considered a micro subcompact. That gun is tiny.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
So my grandson is turning 10 this December and I'm getting him his first deer rifle. He has shot quite a few of mine and swears he can deal with a 30-06 like I got at his age but I can't help but remember how hard the recoil was back at that age. I'm thinking he'd do better with a 6.5CM, 270, or maybe even 308. I would look at 243 or 25-06 but we have occasional elk and big hogs on our lease and I want this to last him. Thoughts?

Cotton

Staff member
So my grandson is turning 10 this December and I'm getting him his first deer rifle. He has shot quite a few of mine and swears he can deal with a 30-06 like I got at his age but I can't help but remember how hard the recoil was back at that age. I'm thinking he'd do better with a 6.5CM, 270, or maybe even 308. I would look at 243 or 25-06 but we have occasional elk and big hogs on our lease and I want this to last him. Thoughts?
You can't go wrong with a 270 or 243.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I bought my daughter a Browning 7mm-08 when she was 14. (weighed about 95 lbs) She shot her first mule deer buck with it that fall.

It has great stopping power, and is also a fast shooting round. I've shot coyotes on the run at 300+ yards with it. And it has very little kick. It's a very sweet gun. I highly recommend it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You can't go wrong with a 270 or 243.
I bought my daughter a Browning 7mm-08 when she was 14. (weighed about 95 lbs) She shot her first mule deer buck with it that fall.

It has great stopping power, and is also a fast shooting round. I've shot coyotes on the run at 300+ yards with it. And it has very little kick. It's a very sweet gun. I highly recommend it.
Forgot to give yall an update, we went to the range Saturday and he shot a couple hundred rounds thru a dozen-ish dif rifles. His top 3 were 6.5cm, .270, and 7mm-08. I'm leaning toward getting him the 7mm-08, hattip @NoDak

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Love the 7mm-08...but the 6.5 CM is such a sweet round, with a lot less recoil and the ability to hold its energy further downrange than the .308. May not matter now, but if your grandson starts hunting out at further distances the recoil and downrange energy will certainly make it easier for a 200-400 yard shot if he gets that good.

Still love the 7mm-08 though as another great choice.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I just picked up a Ruger Security-9 over the weekend. I was impressed by the reviews and liked the look and feel of it....similar to a Glock, IMO.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I plan on hitting the range on Wednesday.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
G
I just picked up a Ruger Security-9 over the weekend. I was impressed by the reviews and liked the look and feel of it....similar to a Glock, IMO.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I plan on hitting the range on Wednesday.
Well I hope you paid for it. :)

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Love the 7mm-08...but the 6.5 CM is such a sweet round, with a lot less recoil and the ability to hold its energy further downrange than the .308. May not matter now, but if your grandson starts hunting out at further distances the recoil and downrange energy will certainly make it easier for a 200-400 yard shot if he gets that good.

Still love the 7mm-08 though as another great choice.
Thought I had updated this but guess not, ended up getting him a Savage Apex Hunter in 7mm-08 that came with a Vortex 3-9 scope on black Friday sale for $450 with a $75 rebate

Cotton

Staff member
Thought I had updated this but guess not, ended up getting him a Savage Apex Hunter in 7mm-08 that came with a Vortex 3-9 scope on black Friday sale for $450 with a $75 rebate
Holy shit, that was a really good deal.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

OMFG TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I’m looking for a reliable entry level shotgun for home defense. I’m an Army vet, so i’m pretty familiar with a lot of platforms, but I never messed around with shotguns during my service. After I got out, a buddy sold me a Mossberg Maverick I think it was, fired it once and sold it. Just moved into an area where there is a heavy police presence, i’m assuming due to break ins, so i’m trying to get armed up again. Any recommendations?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I’m looking for a reliable entry level shotgun for home defense. I’m an Army vet, so i’m pretty familiar with a lot of platforms, but I never messed around with shotguns during my service. After I got out, a buddy sold me a Mossberg Maverick I think it was, fired it once and sold it. Just moved into an area where there is a heavy police presence, i’m assuming due to break ins, so i’m trying to get armed up again. Any recommendations?
For entry level I'd recommend Winchester SXP Defender, or for a little more $ the Remington 870 Tactical

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
For entry level I'd recommend Winchester SXP Defender, or for a little more $ the Remington 870 Tactical
What’s the cheapest they run for? Did a brief search online, saw them running for around $300. Now, i’m not trying to be a cheap bastard when it comes to home defense, but in terms of firearms what else do I have as far as home defense weapons in terms of that price range?

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I only ask because outside of an AR platform, or a SAW, I know shit all about weapons. Especially calibers.

Top Bottom